The Imperium

-I'm starting a new rpg, one that takes place in the Phylydion Imperium. If anyone wishes to play a Phylydion, or a foreign character wandering through Phylydion territory, join. Note: This will not involve any other governments, any wars, or other major political things involving another species's government. This is to partially bring back the old rpg.-

------------------
-Traek Cicion of the Taeskor
"Never tell me the odds!"
-Han Solo
"Then we'll do it real quiet-like."

So, let me get this straight: You've decided to bring back an RPG that was only half-Ares, and eliminate the Ares half?

------------------
-=MoC 94:19=-
"Cheaters don't really win, and winners don't really cheat. Unless you're talking politics." -Durandal
"Fate protects fools, children, and ships named Enterprise." -Riker to Bridge Crew

Originally posted by Pallas Athene:
**So, let me get this straight: You've decided to bring back an RPG that was only half-Ares, and eliminate the Ares half?

What's wrong with that? We have a completely non-ares related rpg in any way, but of course that's in trash talk. This would be interesting, but I'd like to learn more about Phylydians before I join in. (please don't say go read clarification)

------------------
"I'm a controversial figure. My friends either dislike me or hate me."

The Phylydions are a near-Human species who control a large empire. Physically, Phylydions are identical except for a few differences: Three eyes, all of which are entirely blue(no whites, pupils, etc.) because of an extra-corneal layer, and a small slit on each cheek, both of which contain a short tendril capable of detecting life-forms, emotions, and various other things. Phylydions are generally slighter of form, weaker, and much more agile than Humans. Phylydions are somewhat warlike and the Imperium has a very large navy and army. Only since they encountered the other races have they needed to use this power for protection. Here are a few excerpts from Clarification, which is now long gone:

Government:

HIGH OCTICON: After centuries of turmoil and weakness from unstable and inadequate political structures, the Phylydions were captured and mainly enslaved by a race of beings about half as powerful as the Obish are now. The rebellions lasted for decades until the Phylydia, the most powerful ship ever built by the Phylydions, and still the pride of the Phylydion Interstellar Navy, was completed and lead the attack against the oppressors, who were defeated. After another decade, the Phylydion Imperium was officialy formed and the navy launched a retaliatory strike that reduced the once mighty civilization of their former masters to a handful of minor planets. When the Phylydions withdrew back into their space, they started to rebuild their civilization to the maximum extent. They realized that they would need a new form of government if the Imperium was to remain indefinitely. A structure was formed with a senate and the main governing body called the High Octicon. These eight Phylydions were the sole rulers of the Phylydion Imperium, and the Senate dealt with law-making and representation.
First and most powerful is the Supreme Octicate. This Octicate deals with all goverment affairs. When the Octicon votes on something, this Octicate's vote counts as two votes. There is also the Military Octicate, the Economics Octicate, the Judicial Octicate, the Population Representative Octicate, the Agricultural Octicate, the Technical Octicate, and the Balance Octicate. The last one is an interesting concept. Origionally it was going to be the High Septicon, since if there was one supreme one there should be an odd number. The Balance Octicate evaluates all of the others and aids the Supreme Octicate.
Each Octicate is assigned a Pure Taeskor as a bodyguard. Throughout an Octicate's term, he or she is never farther than ten meters away from the bodyguard. Each Octicate is also trained in fighting and carries a Pure Taeskor's blade wherever they go.

Starship Weaponry:

Cannons found on standard Phylydion warships
Flare Bolt Cannon: The Flare Bolt is an extremely volatile form of shaped energy, and is basically a disruptor bolt in a state of continuous explosion. Phylydion scientists managed to create a form of violent photon and convert it into a vicious particle that needs others of its type to provide its energy, otherwise it simply falls apart. Once the weapon is fired, the particles draw from each other and send heat and force outwards until they all run out of energy and fall apart in an enourmous explosion. This weapon does damage from heat, impact force, and the explosion at the end. The cannons can be set so that the particles explode at just the right moment(ie, when they hit the enemy ship) or so that shield contact will remove their energy. This second setting is
"explode on impact" and is the default setting.
The immense power of this weapon comes with a price. First of all, it has a very high energy cost. Second, if the weapon were to ever jam, not only would the entire cannon be destroyed but also, probably, a large part of the ship. Also, the range is not terribly impressive, as it is difficult to energize the particles enough to last a long time before breaking apart.
Flare Bolt rifles are used by some infantry, mainly Taeskor Commandos.

Flare Bolt Turret: Much smaller and less powerful Flare Bolt placed on a turret for defense. Most ships bigger than a patrol ship have at least one of these, and some mammoth ships like the Phylydia can have dozens.

Compression Cannon: This is a new type of cannon being employed on Battlecruisers and others of that size. It is not being put on any ships smaller than that because the weapon is simply too big to do so. The Compression cannon, interestingly enough, is a projectile weapon. The projectile is from the size of a tennis ball to the size of a beach ball, depending on the setting. What the cannon does is compress an enourmous amount of matter into a space several thousand to several million times smaller then you would ever find it in nature. This projectile is braced with heavy armor to keep it small. It is then launched through a rail cannon at the enemy ship. The weapon's damage is entirely kinetic. The problems: If the projectile is made too small and too massive it can actually create a mini black hole inside the ship, destroying it. All ships now have safety systems to ensure that this does not happen. Second, even without creating a black hole the projectile can affect space. One target dummy the weapon was tested on was actually pulled into hyperspace by the projectile. The weapon has been much improved since then, however.
This weapon has a very long range. However, at a certain time after being fired, the outer armored shell will burst and the projectile will revert to its actual enourmous size. This can be used as a distraction.

Capsule Missile: A simple projectile weapon, the capsule missle is a very long, thin oval with a dull chrome color. An unguided, extremely fast missile, it works by a simple high-powered ion thruster with a range of a few hundred klicks. Of course, it was not designed with ranges anywhere near that long in mind. When the missile strikes a target, the sudden halt of its incredible speed causes great internal stress. Capsule missiles are filled with an extremely high explosive chemical known as CVE-14. Similar to nitro-glycerin but far more powerful and requiring a much larger jolt to set off, this substance explodes with tremendous fury when the missile hits its mark. Capsule missles are standard armament for fightercraft and most capital ships have either capsule missile launchers or capsule missile turrets.

Burst cannon: Light, rapid-fire cannons used in turrets and mounted on fightercraft. Simple weapon firing shaped plasma bolts. The cannon draws from a plasma fuel cell, compressing the plasma into a small sphere and energizing it. It spits the bolt out from a thin tube that gets narrower, making the bolts slightly ovoid and increasing their speed. The cannons appear as a simple hole in the side of a ship, as the apparatus is contained inside. Burst rifles are the standard infantry weapon.

Now then, are you familiar with Taeskors? I've described them many times.

------------------
-Han Solo

One more question:

Is Marshek (or possibly Mar Shek) considered an adequate Phylydion name?

------------------

Not quite. Needs more vowels and fewer consonants.

------------------
-Han Solo

Melidon?

------------------

Sounds good.

------------------
-Han Solo

How would the Phylidion Imperium feel about entering in trade with large tradeing guilds? i.e: Thousands or millions of freighter captains operateing together??

------------------
NEW NAME FOR THE DREADNOUGHT
The Hard-Boiled Egg
Why?
Because she cant be beaten!

That'd be interesting.

------------------
-Han Solo

A rising Phylydion captain, Captain Melidon, surveyed the crew of his ship. A loyal bunch, they sat at their consoles, observing and anaylysing data without question. His ship had already been through its share of action and adventure, and now were able to function together as a unit rather easily and efficently. Melidon couldn't wait until he was promoted enough to have his own fleet, serving as a beacon of light for the Phylydion Imperium. He could almost invision Admiralship now, giving commands in battle and having his impressive fleet execute complicated manuvers with perfect timing, defeating the enemy with no losses.

But, he was jumping ahead of himself. Admiralship was a long way off, and something of that glory was nothing more than a wishful dream. The Phylydion wasn't engaged in any wars right now, and it seemed to be a time of peace.

Yet still, Captain Melidon couldn't quite shake the feeling that this was the calm before the storm...

------------------

Captain Melidon's comm chirped, and when he opened the connection Admiral Bedein, the commander of the attack fleet Melidon was stationed in, was looking at him. "Captain, prepare your ship for combat. PhylSec has discovered a new rebel nest, and they're sending us in as the main strike force. Stand by for the jump to Omnispace in two hours." The connection closed.