Ares: Override

On the EV/O Developers corner, a quiet conversation has been going on about my plugin for Ares, Ares: Override.

It will be a huge port of EVO to the Ares engine, featuring:
•single player missions
•3 or more net levels
•5-8 races that you can play as online
•New ship graphics, re-rendered from the actual Infini-D models
•New planet and station graphics (again, re-rendered from the actual Infini-D models)

I'm opening this topic so that more people know about the project. any opinions are welcome.

Oh, if you're interested in helping, (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum13/HTML/000225.html")click here(/url)

------------------

Oops, I forgot to put a link to the (url="http://"http://evo.iwarp.com/AO/shots.html")screen shots(/url).

------------------

Ooh, goody. I've been buggin ASI to do this for a long time. A couple suggestions, though:

1. In one, I noticed that somebody was the Gaitori Union and that there was a flak drone, and you might want to get those out of it. Of course, you've probably been planning this since the beginning, but oh well.

2. Those are the Ares explosions, and I was wondering if you were planning on doing the EVO explosions? Also, it is possible to get the ships in Ares to die the same way they do in EVO and also to make them get disabled.

3. The planet graphics in one of those was from Ares, and I think the ones from EVO would be better, although, just like in #1, you've probably been planning to put the EVO planets into it from the beginning.

4. I also saw shields, which didn't show up in EVO. If you wait till beta 7 comes out, you'll have a "no shields" option for stuff.

5. What about including EV with it? People would love to fight EV ships with EVO ships and vice-versa.

6. I saw another thing about this in the EV Image Gallery, and it sounded from that like you were just replacing the Ares ship classes with EVO ship classes, which really makes plugs less interesting. It'd be very easy to make your own ship classes for this (fighter, heavy fighter, light warship, heavy warship, freighter, etc.).

7. Which races will you be able to use? It'd be possible to have all of the ones from EVO (including Miranu and Emalgha).

Good work, I hope you get done soon.

------------------
"I am the supreme dictator of the universe, it's just that nobody knows about it yet."
"Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow."

Originally posted by Mag Steelglass:
1. In one, I noticed that somebody was the Gaitori Union and that there was a flak drone, and you might want to get those out of it. Of course, you've probably been planning this since the beginning, but oh well.

A: I said it well be a huge port of EVO to the Ares engine, not is
B: That was just a test level, and I didn't bother to change race string

And FYI, you'll be able to fight the existing Ares races online.

2. Those are the Ares explosions, and I was wondering if you were planning on doing the EVO explosions? Also, it is possible to get the ships in Ares to die the same way they do in EVO and also to make them get disabled.

Maybe I'll change them, maybe I won't. thats a minor detail. As for ships dying, yes they can die like in EVO, but I'm probably not going to do it (it'd double the size). Not sure about the disabled thing...

3. The planet graphics in one of those was from Ares, and I think the ones from EVO would be better, although, just like in #1, you've probably been planning to put the EVO planets into it from the beginning.

Like I said in #1

4. I also saw shields, which didn't show up in EVO. If you wait till beta 7 comes out, you'll have a "no shields" option for stuff.

I kinda like the shield effect...

5. What about including EV with it? People would love to fight EV ships with EVO ships and vice-versa.

I have nether the patients, will, models, or enough space for races to do so.

6. I saw another thing about this in the EV Image Gallery

'eh? Well it wasn't by me. When was this anyway? /me never looks at EV Image Gallery

and it sounded from that like you were just replacing the Ares ship classes with EVO ship classes, which really makes plugs less interesting. It'd be very easy to make your own ship classes for this (fighter, heavy fighter, light warship, heavy warship, freighter, etc.).

I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

7. Which races will you be able to use? It'd be possible to have all of the ones from EVO (including Miranu and Emalgha).

Races for most net levels well be; UE, Renegade (human), Voinian, Azdgari, Zidagar, Igadzra, and Crescent Renegades. On some net maps however, you'll be able to be Emalgha. Miranu ships well most likely be used to fill in gaps for the Strands. (e.g. Transport, Assault Transport, etc.)

P.S. Who's ASI?

------------------

Originally posted by MadFax7:
**A: I said it well be a huge port of EVO to the Ares engine, not is
B: That was just a test level, and I didn't bother to change race string

And FYI, you'll be able to fight the existing Ares races online.

Sounds fine. And the fighting the existing Ares races sounds nice.

**Maybe I'll change them, maybe I won't. thats a minor detail. As for ships dying, yes they can die like in EVO, but I'm probably not going to do it (it'd double the size). Not sure about the disabled thing...

I see. When I first heard about this, I thought it was going to be strictly exactly EVO. I see, now. The disabled thing is: for a ship's destroy sequence, it creates another version of itself with max speed of 0 and a low accel, so it slowly drifts to a halt. Friendly ships could then be set up so they could "board" disabled ships, and capture them.

**I kinda like the shield effect...

Sounds fine to me, too, I was just under the impression that this was going to be exactly like EVO in all ways except the interface.

**I have nether the patients, will, models, or enough space for races to do so.

I see. I guess I've just been making plugs too long to consider patience or wills. And I can see how not having the models would be difficult (although you could copy the pict resources from EV Graphics into a Photoshop document, then change the background color, and then pop them right back into Ares...) And what do you mean by enough space for races? You can have as many races as you want in a plug...

**'eh? Well it wasn't by me. When was this anyway? /me never looks at EV Image Gallery

It was posted by somebody talking about your plug. It's in the comments for Slug's most recent picture.

**I'm not exactly sure what you mean.

The person that posted in the image gallery said that UE Cruisers and Voinian Dreadnaughts were replacements for Heavy Destroyers. Although I can see how having the origional Ares races in net play would be bad for making your own ship classes.

**Races for most net levels well be; UE, Renegade (human), Voinian, Azdgari, Zidagar, Igadzra, and Crescent Renegades. On some net maps however, you'll be able to be Emalgha. Miranu ships well most likely be used to fill in gaps for the Strands. (e.g. Transport, Assault Transport, etc.)

Sounds good, although the Emalgha would be nice. Although you have pretty much everybody, so it'd be fine.

**P.S. Who's ASI?

ASI is Axis Softwar Integrated, a small group of people working on plugs for Ares and EVO. Their two main projects that everybody's been hearing about are an Ares plug for EVO (exact opposite of your project) and Starlance, a very large TC that's not going to come out for a very, very, very, long time, by the sounds of it. They were going to release a plug called "Before They Sailed" on new years, but Hera corrupted it, and it sounds like they didn't have any recent backups, and the project's been put on hold, although it's close to being scrapped.

------------------
"I am the supreme dictator of the universe, it's just that nobody knows about it yet."
"Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow."

**And what do you mean by enough space for races? You can have as many races as you want in a plug...

Only 16 races can be used in Net levels.

Hera reference:
**Net scenarios can only refer to a maximum of 16 races.

(This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-11-2001).)

This post has been edited by Patrick : 25 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

Well, I think M:Inv is also an ASI project, but some of it is being done by yours truely :).

------------------
Formerly-Rampant Human-Coded AI

MInv isn't any more than 1/3 ASI. There are three of us working on it: me, you, and Sarg. Sarg is the only one in ASI (although I've expressed a bit of interest every couple months or so)

------------------
What others can travel so far into so many universes yet remain so deeply rooted in their own?

A long time bane of mine with EV:O is the graphics. WOuld you be willing to make small changes to the models for the better on the UE ships? The UE ships just look strange to me, perhaps you could just make new bridge window effects (like giving the UE carrier the UE destroyer Bridges in the front) to improve UE asthetics?

------------------
This isn't right. This isn't even wrong.