Member-Run FAQ

Guy, on Oct 15 2005, 11:37 PM, said:

Mining scoop
View Post

Are you sure about this?

I thought "AI Mines Asteroids" and "AI Scoops Asteroid Debris" were shďp flags, and the AI will follow its behavior routines regardless of the presence of the actual outfit. Are you telling me that an AI ship set to scoop debris won't scoop anything unless it has a scoop outfit?

Qaanol, on Jan 17 2006, 01:48 PM, said:

I thought "AI Mines Asteroids" and "AI Scoops Asteroid Debris" were shďp flags, and the AI will follow its behavior routines regardless of the presence of the actual outfit. Are you telling me that an AI ship set to scoop debris won't scoop anything unless it has a scoop outfit?View Post

Correct. An asteroid mining ship will not work correctly if it does not have a scoop.
(EDIT) So, in keeping with the thread:
Q: My asteroid mining ship is ignoring asteroids comletely!
A: Make sure that one of the ship's default outfits is a Mining Scoop (ModType 31)- if a ship doesn't have a mining scoop, it will ignore asteroids, no matter what its flags tell it to do.

Edwards

This post has been edited by Edwards : 22 January 2006 - 11:53 PM

Q: Where would i find information on how to convert EVO mďsn resources into EVN mďsn resources? Do i have to do it completely by hand, mission by mission?

A: Find the latest beta of SpacePort which will do this for you.

This post has been edited by Guy : 19 May 2008 - 09:23 PM

Q: Do only ships with freighter/trader AI give distress signals, such as "We're under attack! Somebody please assist?" Or is there a way I can get my warships and intercepters to use them as well?

Q: Is there a way to keep the AI from using a ship that is in a dude resource before it is made? As in, let's say a ship is built later on. Rather than having to recreate new systems, could you put the ship in a dude resource already used by the systems and tag it with a misnbit?

Q: How long (average) does it take for plug-in files to appear on the add-on page? If it isn't there yet, is there a way to keep it from showing up (found something wrong after posting it)?

This post has been edited by BOGWarrior : 06 March 2006 - 01:22 PM

BOGWarrior, on Mar 6 2006, 07:00 AM, said:

Q: Is there a way to keep the AI from using a ship that is in a dude resource before it is made? As in, let's say a ship is built later on. Rather than having to recreate new systems, could you put the ship in a dude resource already used by the systems and tag it with a misnbit?

Q: How long (average) does it take for plug-in files to appear on the add-on page? If it isn't there yet, is there a way to keep it from showing up (found something wrong after posting it)?
View Post

A: Yes, use the AppearOn field in the ship resource.
A: Yes, send a PM to pipeline. You can also ask him to take a file down after it has already appeared, if necessary.

Guy, on Mar 6 2006, 02:30 PM, said:

A: Yes, use the AppearOn field in the ship resource.
A: Yes, send a PM to pipeline. You can also ask him to take a file down after it has already appeared, if necessary.
View Post

Q: Would that be for Nova? I am using MissionComputer for Override.

BOGWarrior, on Mar 7 2006, 06:37 AM, said:

Q: Would that be for Nova? I am using MissionComputer for Override.
View Post

Ah, in that case you use the MisnBit fields in the dude resource. Not sure who's in charge of the EVO addons - probably one of the mods of the EVO board (bomb, EVula, Mazca).

Josh: Probably because no one knows and would have to investigate it to find out. Maybe you could do that yourself (and then tell us ;)).

I would, but time is a bit scare right now. Though if nobody answers and I find it out, I'll answer my own question and spread the knowledge.

JoshTigerheart, on Mar 7 2006, 02:18 PM, said:

I would, but time is a bit scare right now. Though if nobody answers and I find it out, I'll answer my own question and spread the knowledge.
View Post

A: Well, I know that SOME warships (at least UE) say, "Death to Voinians!".

But, I think your best bet is using pers resources. They have hail quotes and comm quotes, and as far as I know, warship/interceptor AI don't hail people when attacked, and I've been playing A LOT of EV:O.

Q: I played EV a lot from 1997-1999 and got fairly proficient at making ships with Mechanisto, modding the game with ResEdit, etc. Now I'm getting into Nova and would like to start developing some add-ons, particularly custom ships. My only problem is that I can't seem to locate the PICT resources for Nova's stock ship sprites anywhere in the data files. Can anyone tell me where I can find the sprites so I can get a better idea of how my ships need to turn out?

Thanks! Hopefully I'm not overlooking something obvious, but I poked through the Data, Ships, Graphics and Titles files with ResEdit three times yesterday and couldn't find the sprite PICTs anywhere.

A: Sprites are stored as RLE resources in Nova. To decode them into PICT sprites use DeRLE by w00tWare.

@qaanol, on Mar 22 2006, 10:44 AM, said in Member-Run FAQ:

A: Sprites are stored as RLE resources in Nova. To decode them into PICT sprites use DeRLE by w00tWare.

Thanks... apparently more things have changed since the old days than I realized.

I would note that the Windows tool for editing plug-ins, EVNEW, simply has an export function that lets you export the sprite grids in the rlëD resources as images of various types.

Q: How do you start building a TC?

Ooo, that's a tricky question. If I were too start a TC I'd start with either Edward's Tea Cup TC or Absolute Minimum and build upwards by adding/replacing data via plug-ins, then when I had the basic frame work put in (system, planets, ships, crons, descs, and a few missions here and there) I'd merge the plug-ins into data files that at most were 15 MB in size. Rinse and repeat until you've got the finished product.

This post has been edited by JacaByte : 28 January 2007 - 04:33 PM

Q: At what angle were the EVN ships rendered, and what angle does the light come from?

A: The camera angle is 45 degrees off vertical. The models are lit from 315 degrees.

Q: What's LASIK, and how do I do it?

A: LASIK is a technique which makes the ship look better in-game. To do it, follow these steps:

• Render the sprites at double the final dimensions.

• Open the sprites in Photoshop and apply Filters > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask (amount: 300%; radius: 1.0; threshold: 0).

• Scale the image down to the final size (half the rendered dimensions).

Edit: I searched and found some of the answers. I'll post them here so others can find them easier.

This post has been edited by Nil'kimas : 13 April 2007 - 04:42 PM

@nil-kimas, on Apr 13 2007, 03:08 PM, said in Member-Run FAQ:

Q: At what angle were the EVN ships rendered, and what angle does the light come from?

A: 315 degrees is what angle the light comes from. I have no clue what angle the ships were rendered at. 15 degrees sticks in my mind for some reason...

Q1: How do I use the asteroid scoop?
Q2: How do you make a route for the multi-jump?