Just wondering about SpacePort and Intel Macs

I was reading this thread, and I was wondering if anyone had actually tried/started porting SpacePort for Intel Macs. I figure it's a long shot, but I'm still asking. ¯\(ツ)

I would be highly interested in such a utility. (Mainly I want to make Femme Fatale compatible with the Frozen Heart EVN TC, but taking a crack at getting other EVO plugins would be cool too.)

Thanks.

I don't know about any Intel ports, but I do have a PowerPC which can run SpacePort.

What other EVO plugs did you have in mind?

Call me a fanatic, but my inclination would be to port everything that ever existed and put it up on the addons page in a few bulk downloads.

But then, I'm an obsessive archivist at heart. "LET NO DATA BE LOST TO THE AGES!!"

I am in full support of your fanaticism. Lots of good plugs for EVC & EVO that I simply can't play anymore.

I've already run Femme Fatale thru SpacePort on default settings, but I'm holding off on posting because
A} only 100k post attachments allowed, and zipped FF runs to 3.3MB
B} I don't want to put something on the addons page that might be buggy (I'm assuming this was a straight SpacePort rather than by hand, correct me if wrong)
C} I am curious as to whether or not the FH port was okayed by the author, and neither search nor the readme grant me certainty. If the FH port was not okayed, then neither would the FF one, and he might get annoyed at me.

UE Admiral, what plugs should I do next? Another big plug, or should I start with the little ones? Maybe make some sort of Frankenstein out of all the cheat plugs and all the "one new ship/ outfit/ weapon/ mission/ planet/ system" plugs? (you did say bulk.)

Also, do you have a classic Mac with which to make sure nothing's been lost in translation between the ports and the originals, and tweak if necessary?

And, somewhat off topic, but had you been aware of this? Given the timestamp on the starting post, I'm wondering why it doesn't seem to have gotten any visibilty over here. I only found out about it cause I was vaguely wondering about SFA.

This post has been edited by ScratSkinner : 24 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

I'm an idealist. A lazy one. So I don't very often commit to a task even if I believe in it.

That said, my proposed objective would be to get everything. If you're truly altruistic enough to do it, don't pick and choose; go one by one, start to finish, alphabetically. It would be unfortunate to miss that one oddly named cult-classic plug that nobody remembers by name. To save some time and effort, yes, bundle them up into packages (but don't put them in the same plug-in, just the same compressed archive). EV Addons A-Z; EVO Addons A-Z; or however many sections it need be split. A very important thing to add to each archive is an exhaustive list of the contents of all packages to help people find what they're looking for.

At that point, you will have done more than anybody ever expected of any one person. Let somebody else decompress them and re-package them if they want; however, I suspect that the folks who want these plugins converted will be the folks running a modern enough computer that a few gigs (if that) of superfluous data is a very minor inconvenience to get that one diamond in the rough of which they've been dreaming.

As far as having a classic Mac to check everything on, I have one, but its space is severely limited (~600mb left). Moreover, I'm an amateur in the extreme, so I hesitate to claim I can look over a plug and verify that it came out alright. I had my few favorite plugins, but even then I didn't commit every detail to memory to even a tenth the degree I did the stock scenarios. Failing anybody else to give them a dry-run though, I'll volunteer for at least a few. Each will definitely take me quite some time to get to and play through. It bears repeating: I'm lazy.

Finally, regarding Age of the Council, I was not aware that it was still under development; much less that EVWeb was now project head and looking for a few hands. I think I'll drop him a line and see if there's any unimportant busywork I can do for the project. Maybe go through the files and label everything or something. >.> I am very glad that you mentioned it.

If you want you could upload FF port to a free file locker like mediafire or sth and PM the link. I don't know if the FH port was approved by the author but I'd be surprised if it wasn't. (Also I was under the impression the EVN add-ons page wasn't even updated anymore.)

I remember being excited about AotC, but tbh I'm kind of doubtful about it pulling through. I'm sort-of working on my own EVN scenario project but I'd be kidding myself if I proposed it as anything other than a distraction (got about half of a cool space labyrinth set up, though).

Do you mind someone asking for a look-see? I am working on something similar.

Lord Rama, do you have an email account that can handle at least 3-4 MB attachments? If so, email is scratskinner -at- gmail -dot- com.

I've gone and downloaded all the EVO Plugs that fell under the "Cheat" Category. The following I couldn't unstuff properly:

Aliens 1.2.0(.sit.hqx),
Death 1.0.0(.sea.hqx),
disco m. gun(no suffix),
EVOmega Taster(no suffix),
How to be a Conqueror(.sit),
Invincible scoutship 1.0.0(no suffix),
Invinciblity 1.1(.sea.hqx)/1.2.0(.sea.hqx)/1.3.0(.sit.hqx)/1.3.4(.sit.hqx),
untitled(.sea.1)

Would anybody else have better luck with these?

Also, regarding author permissions. I know Coraxus has been around recently. Coraxus, if you're still around, do you have any objections to my SpacePorting "Ships Galore" and "Armories Galore", and putting them in a plug pack such as UE Admiral has proposed? (And are there any EV/O plugs of yours I haven't come across yet that you would have similar objections for)?

I will track down those addons you mentioned and try to get them going on my OS9 machine. It isn't too rare an occurrence that an addon won't unstuff correctly and thus be doomed to unusability, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

(Edit)
My Results:
In order of discovery (Cheat Category, A-Z by addons page name):
Aliens 1.2.0 (.sit.hqx) downloaded; failed to unstuff.
Death 1.0.0 (.sea.hqx) downloaded; failed to unstuff.
disco m failed to download; page full of gibberish.
EVOmega Taster (with space) failed to download; page full of gibberish.
EVOmegaTaster (no space) (.hqx) downloaded, expanded, works.
How to be a Conquerer (.sit) downloaded; failed to unstuff.
Invincible scoutship 1.0 failed to download; page with only "EV-Edit" written.
Invincibility 1.1.sea (.sea.hqx) downloaded; failed to unstuff.
untitled.sea failed to download; page full of gibberish.

Looks like I can confirm that they're all dead, unless you count the one upload of EVOmegaTaster (this one without a space in its name), which works. The one with the space is still a dead end though as far as I can see.
(/Edit)

This post has been edited by U.E. Admiral : 26 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

I've emailed the author of SuperStuff and received permission to port his plug. If you're reading this, thanks for having a consistent email address(also the permissions)

I've emailed the author of cresent shuttle and am awaiting a response. (I sent him a second email when I noticed I'd forgotten to put a subject line)

I am currently looking for the authors of these plugs:

EVODominator/The Dominator
Buyafork
Money
Ghost(email was tomkanes@aol.com, I got a return to sender)
KKICKING SHIP/@$$ KICKING SHIP
Dread Not the Dreadnought
Weapons swap
StockerPods
Super Shuttlecraft
Super Fuel
SuperShield (remarkably recent, was around February 2010)

Is there anyone still around who knows who the authors are?

@scratskinner, on 26 November 2013 - 02:41 AM, said in Just wondering about SpacePort and Intel Macs:

Also, regarding author permissions. I know Coraxus has been around recently. Coraxus, if you're still around, do you have any objections to my SpacePorting "Ships Galore" and "Armories Galore", and putting them in a plug pack such as UE Admiral has proposed? (And are there any EV/O plugs of yours I haven't come across yet that you would have similar objections for)?

I'll make it much easier for you, just click the image below:

Posted Image

Admittedly, I think there are some plugs in that archive pages that are kinda, meh... But there are probably better ones in there I guess.

@sklent, on 25 November 2013 - 08:17 PM, said in Just wondering about SpacePort and Intel Macs:

Do you mind someone asking for a look-see? I am working on something similar.

I'd be happy to, once I have something more complete. I'll keep you in the loop.

So, can I take that as a yes, Coraxus?

I've emailed the author of "Fusion Missile" and recieved permission to port his plug.
I've emailed the author of "Vector Warship" and recieved permission to port his plug.
I've emailed the author of "Anime Syndrome" and "Soliton Wave" and recieved permission to port his plugs. (If any of you are reading this, thanks!)

I've emailed the authors of "EVODominator", "I RULE!!!", "dreadnought bay", "SuperPluginEVO", "Zachit Arada" and have yet to recieve a reply.

Thanks to the internet archive I've managed to find the authors of "EVODominator" and "Dread Not the Dreadnought". Similarly formerly authorless, I've found the author of "I RULE!!!".

So once I've got them all ported, and have as many permissions sorted out as I can manage, where should I put them up? (assuming the addons page is kaput)

Dropbox is what I always recommend.

So yeah, much belated update on the "Port ALL the plugs!" project.

I emailed the author of "E/S-99" and got permission.(Thanks)

I wrote a letter to the author of "Brian's Basic Plugs" and got permission. (Also thanks)

(I don't think I've gotten an answer back from anyone else not already listed.)

I've got the rest of the Override plugs downloaded and have started to unpack and sort them.

I must admit some measure of indecision on the whole "getting things uploaded" bit of the project, as well as trying to track down and get a hold of authors. I've also been easier distracted as uncertainty sets in.