EV Nova: United Galactic Federation

Tru some Übertastic engine glows instead of stock Photoshop patterns.

Enjoy!

Attached File Better_Engines.jpg (53.9K)
Number of downloads: 50

And we can't forget that cool emblem on the side, can we? 😉

Attached File Emblem.jpg (33.64K)
Number of downloads: 30

ĄWARNING!
Low quality compression!
Not full image quality!

Nice

I agree with what Josh is saying here. Could you please do something more original then the Chiss and the Protoss?

Why do you guys care? Are there so many TC's that you can discourage this guy just because you disagree with his concept? Does that mean I think it sounds as good as something that's totally original? Well, no. But we shouldn't tell him to do something different when he's already got so much effort sunk into his stuff. That's like telling Bungie they should make an RPG intead when they're halfway done with Halo 3.

He might have something else equivalent/better to show...

Well, he hasn't come back, has he?

That's not a good example Shiz. It'd be more like Blizzard putting the Covenant in Starcraft 2, or having Metroids attack Master Chief in Halo 3, or having Link find the "Master Lightsabre", or having the Zergling as a starter in Pokemon Pearl/Diamond (evolves to a Hydralisk at level 16), or having Goku from DBZ appear in the Diary of Anne Frank.

I'd rather discourage him from using them in a serious attempt outside of their respective universes so he can avoid quite a bit of flak about it later, if he's lucky. I talk to other writers about stuff like that, and anyone who is serious about writing at the least frowns upon that kind of copy/pasting of ideas, unless the writer in question is just messing around (which StarSword obviously is not). Honestly, all he'd have to do is make a few adjustments here and there to them and he could have them pretty much the same without them being the same. Trust me, it's much better when people say "Those guys are very similiar to the Protoss..." instead of "Protoss? What the heck? Lame!" I've done the same tweaking with many of my own races that I've came up with, though most of them have been heavily tweaked by now, so they're not easily recognizable.

Edit: And weren't you the one who said all games should be focused on story?

This post has been edited by JoshTigerheart : 28 September 2007 - 10:06 AM

That's not a good example Shiz. It'd be more like Blizzard putting the Covenant in Starcraft 2, or having Metroids attack Master Chief in Halo 3, or having Link find the "Master Lightsabre", or having the Zergling as a starter in Pokemon Pearl/Diamond (evolves to a Hydralisk at level 16), or having Goku from DBZ appear in the Diary of Anne Frank.

Mmmm, no. I wasn't referring to his use of the Protoss and Chiss, I was referring to you guys acting like he should just up and change his whole TC idea. You of all people should get that, JoshTigerheart! Imagine someone telling you you should make a story based TC instead of an action based TC now. It wouldn't go over with you too well, right? Although you do have a point there. If I'd been talking about what you thought I was, you would've had a better example.

I'd rather discourage him from using them in a serious attempt outside of their respective universes so he can avoid quite a bit of flak about it later, if he's lucky. I talk to other writers about stuff like that, and anyone who is serious about writing at the least frowns upon that kind of copy/pasting of ideas, unless the writer in question is just messing around (which StarSword obviously is not). Honestly, all he'd have to do is make a few adjustments here and there to them and he could have them pretty much the same without them being the same. Trust me, it's much better when people say "Those guys are very similiar to the Protoss..." instead of "Protoss? What the heck? Lame!" I've done the same tweaking with many of my own races that I've came up with, though most of them have been heavily tweaked by now, so they're not easily recognizable.

There's some truth to that, I suppose. My point is that he's obviously pretty far along, too far along to make a change like that.

Edit: And weren't you the one who said all games should be focused on story?

Uhhh, yes...? What's your point?

Oh, and also, don't call me Shiz, please. Shli would be better. Shiz just don't make sense.

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 28 September 2007 - 10:14 AM

I'm not wanting him to change his whole TC. Just alter the Protoss (primarily) and the Chiss. Right now, all's he had to do is change some descs and names to reflect whatever minor changes he makes (such as renaming the Protoss to the Bobs). That's hardly near major. This would be especially simple, considering he doesn't have any final graphics yet (from what I can gather from above), so he wouldn't have to go find new graphics for their ships (Protoss mainly, I don't think the Chiss every had their own ships in Star Wars. Then again, I don't read the Expanded Universe).

From the looks of things, he's still in Pre-Alpha stages. Whether he wants to or not, he's probably going to change everything in the TC at least three times before he gets to beta anyways. That I speak from experience. When I altered the araments of 30+ variants, it wasn't fun. But it necessary in incoporate new weapons and to balance the ships out to make Colosseum better.

Oh, and also, don't call me Shiz, please. Shli would be better. Shiz just don't make sense.

Sorry, wasn't looking at your name and what I thought it read (Shizlamel) the first time I ever glanced at it is still stuck in my head.

This post has been edited by JoshTigerheart : 28 September 2007 - 11:56 AM

That's hardly near major. This would be especially simple, considering he doesn't have any final graphics yet (from what I can gather from above), so he wouldn't have to go find new graphics for their ships

I guess that there's some truth to that. On the other hand, it'd be like someone saying, 'Well, instead of having it be Klingons vs Minbari, why not have it be Fizzbizz vs Gurak?' It wouldn't be the same.

From the looks of things, he's still in Pre-Alpha stages. Whether he wants to or not, he's probably going to change everything in the TC at least three times before he gets to beta anyways. That I speak from experience. When I altered the araments of 30+ variants, it wasn't fun. But it necessary in incoporate new weapons and to balance the ships out to make Colosseum better.

It wasn't fun re-rendering 24 ships and engineglows at least twice at 10+ minutes a piece, either. I know what you're talking about there. And he probably will change everything a couple of times, at least. Still, if he doesn't want to change it, there's no point keeping on telling him he should change it. All that'll do is drive him off, and of course we don't want that.

Sorry, wasn't looking at your name and what I thought it read (Shizlamel) the first time I ever glanced at it is still stuck in my head.

It's okay. Easy enough mistake to make.

@cosmic_nusiance, on Sep 27 2007, 06:20 PM, said in EV Nova: United Galactic Federation:

Tru some Übertastic engine glows instead of stock Photoshop patterns.

Enjoy!

Attachment Better_Engines.jpg

Niiiice. I like that.

Actually, the only reason that bubble pattern is in there is because I was using it for a cover illustration on a defunct novella. I couldn't figure a way to get something to look better (and I was short on time anyway--I was doing this at school), so I picked one I thought would look good at the 1/10 size.

The insignia is actually going to be changed a little bit. That circle-bolt was the insignia of a military force called the Cyber Force (a holdover from when I was something like eight years old). The blue pointy wings are staying, but the circle and lightning bolt are going to be replaced with the United Galactic insignia. The final version should look something like this:
Attached File UGFC_insig.JPG (30.19K)
Number of downloads: 29

By the way, Shlimazel, thanks for the support.

This post has been edited by StarSword : 28 September 2007 - 03:02 PM

By the way, Shlimazel, thanks for the support.

Any time.

@shlimazel, on Sep 25 2007, 05:44 PM, said in EV Nova: United Galactic Federation:

Yeah, well let's see your TC.

Please. I don't need to make a TC to criticise a bad idea.

@shlimazel, on Sep 28 2007, 07:42 AM, said in EV Nova: United Galactic Federation:

Why do you guys care? Are there so many TC's that you can discourage this guy just because you disagree with his concept?

I am here to offer constructive criticism.

Please. I don't need to make a TC to criticise a bad idea.

In other words, I don't have to put any work into this, but I'm gonna go ahead and tell you every single thing you are doing wrong anyway.

Why do you guys care? Are there so many TC's that you can discourage this guy just because you disagree with his concept?

I am here to offer constructive criticism.

Where is the constructive critisism in telling someone that their idea is cheesy and leaving? Let me show you a dictionary.

Constructive criticism is the process of offering valid and well-reasoned opinions about the work of others with the intention of helping the reader or the artist, rather than creating an oppositional attitude.

From wikipedia.

@shlimazel, on Sep 30 2007, 12:13 PM, said in EV Nova: United Galactic Federation:

In other words, I don't have to put any work into this, but I'm gonna go ahead and tell you every single thing you are doing wrong anyway.

Dude, piss off. Copying the protoss is lame. I think so, everyone else thinks so. I may be blunt, but it's better than pussyfooting around it and letting an idea like that make it into a plug.

Where is the constructive critisism in telling someone that their idea is cheesy and leaving?

I've been here four years. I just don't have time to check the DC every ten minutes.

I actually agree with lobf. It is a cheesy idea, and saying so is constructive criticism. We can't really tell attitudes because we're all sitting at a computer and not looking at each others faces, but non-constructive criticism would be saying "dude dats a st00pid idea i hate it go to ----" instead of saying what was disliked and why it was (and it was a valid reason).

Look, the fact is that the Protoss--and everything else I borrowed from other universes, for that matter--is so densely integrated into this that to cut them out would kind of leave the whole thing with holes in it. My single biggest beef with Polycon is that it's too short; my problem with SFA (which I've played in alpha) is that it's long, but repetitive, and doesn't give the player adequate room to put his own adventure together. If I were to drop the Protoss and Chiss, it would leave me with only four major governments. Besides which, much of the Star Wars Expanded Universe galaxy is also integrated into EVN:UGF. If I were to cut that whole thing out, I'd need to rework half the story.

I suppose I could just rename them, but I'd wind up with a not-very-well-disguised borrowing which in my opinion is even worse than doing it openly.

By the way, in my book constructive criticism consists of saying something is wrong, saying why it's wrong, and offering an at least halfway-serious better idea.

This post has been edited by StarSword : 30 September 2007 - 03:00 PM

I understand, at least. It's just that I know that it's fine and you're just trying to make filler so we're not bored out of our minds, and you know that it's fine and you're just trying to make filler so we're not bored out of our minds, but some random n00b is going to download it and go "What the F---?!" Just saying.

By the way, in my book constructive criticism consists of saying something is wrong, saying why it's wrong, and offering an at least halfway-serious better idea.

That was basically what I was trying to say.

If I were to cut that whole thing out, I'd need to rework half the story.

That was also what I was saying. Geez, I'm feeling redundant 😉

Dude, piss off. Copying the protoss is lame. I think so, everyone else thinks so. I may be blunt, but it's better than pussyfooting around it and letting an idea like that make it into a plug.

Don't you get it? It doesn't matter what we think! He's gonna do it anyway! We might as well give him a hand instead of sitting around and talking about what a bad idea it is. Then, at least, we can see our names on the credits of something rather than on a hit list.

@shlimazel, on Sep 30 2007, 06:31 PM, said in EV Nova: United Galactic Federation:

Then, at least, we can see our names on the credits of something rather than on a hit list.

ROFLOL. :laugh: What should we help with, and, perhaps a better question, does he want our help in the first place?

You don't necessarily need to rename the Protoss and the Chiss. If there is enough pseudo-scientific gobbledy-gook about interdimensional rifts you can explain away their presence without inciting too much of a "Protoss?! Lame!" response.

@joshtigerheart, on Sep 28 2007, 08:05 AM, said in EV Nova: United Galactic Federation:

...or having Goku from DBZ appear in the Diary of Anne Frank...

Please don't bring back those memories...