Trying to work this out...

One thing I want to make sure everyone knows:

I don't want anyone fixing my problems. If I ask you to take a look at it, I want you to tell me what I did wrong, so that I can fix it, and with any luck, not make that mistake again. If that means you fix it, then take a screenshot, ans photoshop it, pointing to my errors, I'll accept that. But I want to (eventually) end up able to do this on my own. It's very frustrating to have to rely on others, and I'm sure you guys are getting tired of hearing my 'Help me help me!' posts. So please, help me fix myself, that I may create on my own. Thanks.

Well, from here, we can't really tell you exactly what went wrong. There are any number of reasons. For a start, what IDs did you use for the ship and its shän resource?

http://dl.dropbox.co...i%20Frigate.rez

Here's the file. I thought I had everything matched, but I am apparently wrong.

In the game, my version has the right name, and a few of the basic specs, but others don't apply. Mass, tonnage, speed, turn rating, those things are as I want them, but the weapons,and outfits are wrong.

Your shïp resource includes the following weapons as standard equipment:

• 2 medium blaster turrets,

• 1 Raven turret with 20 rockets,

• a 150mm railgun with 4 ammunition, and

• 2 Autumn Petals.

As the railgun does not actually require ammunition, I suspect this is not what you intended. Is it possible that you entered the IDs of the oütf resources, rather than those of the wëap resources you wanted?

Also:

1. Your shïp resource has the same ID as the IDA Frigate; this will cause it to replace the original ship in the game. If you want to add a new ship without replacing anything, you need to give it an ID number that isn’t already used. In EV Nova , the existing ships run through 414, and the highest permissible number is 894.

2. Your dësc resource has the wrong ID. The formula for the shipyard dësc ID is shïp ID - 128 + 13 000.

Does this clarify the problems you’re experiencing?

http://dl.dropbox.co...%20-%20Copy.rez

Okay, I did some tweaking and the weapons and outfits work now, but the pict(s) and the desc(s) don't match up, and it crashes my game.

@avi-kerensky, on 15 August 2011 - 04:04 PM, said in Trying to work this out...:

Okay, I did some tweaking and the weapons and outfits work now, but the pict(s) and the desc(s) don't match up, and it crashes my game.

The only problem I see is that you didn’t renumber your shän resource to match the new ID of your shïp resource. Different resource types are almost always linked together by their ID numbers in one way or another, so when you change one ID, you need to think what else might be affected.

Also, to fit into the interface properly, your PICTs ought to be 200x200 for the shipyard, and 128x64 for the target image.

Okay. Let me mess with it a bit. Maybe there's hope for me, afterall!

I got it! It's working! YAY! Thanks guys. 'Cause of you fine folks, I can now create a full complement of my own ships. Now I need to work on making a spob space station, where I can sell these ships and weapons. Anyone willing to share a file as an example that I can work from?

Okay, new item to figure out.

I designed a torpedo, and I set it to have a burst/reload. It doesn't seem to be using it. Am I doing something wrong, or does Burst/reload not apply to projectiles?

Oh, it applies alright. It applies to every type of weapon, even fighter bays (off-topic: try giving a fighter bay a burst reload and have it only use ammo after that burst, it's fun :D). I'm using it in Legacy to have a few missile launchers fire a burst of missiles one after the other and then go inoperative to reload. The only question now is what exactly you're doing wrong. To do that, though, we need to know what values you put in.