Misn Assistance

First note, this thread is not limited to my needs. Anyone who needs help creating misn(s) can post here.

Secondly, I want to make a misn where the player carries a special cargo. Where can I find a list of the ID numbers of cargo in EVN? Or, how can I create my own 'special' cargo? I want it so that in the bottom right hand corner, it says what the player is carrying (Think to the Sigma missions, it said 'palladium' down there. I don't necessarily want palladium, but I want y cargo similarly ID'd).

The cargo types are stored in STR# 4000 in Nova Data 5. You can create your own special cargo by adding an entry to the STR#.

@jalisurr, on 30 August 2011 - 08:19 AM, said in Misn Assistance:

The cargo types are stored in STR# 4000 in Nova Data 5. You can create your own special cargo by adding an entry to the STR#.

Thanks. As for numbers, the first entry is 1, the second is 2, etc?

Not quite. First entry is 0, second entry is 1, etc. This is an indexing system following computer logic, remember? 😉

This post has been edited by Jalisurr : 30 August 2011 - 10:49 PM

@jalisurr, on 30 August 2011 - 10:48 PM, said in Misn Assistance:

Not quite. First entry is 0, second entry is 1, etc. This is an indexing system following computer logic, remember? 😉

I suppose I'd better subtract 1, then. ::Grumbles:: damn computer logic. I need a freekin' Vulcan.

http://dl.dropbox.co...ique%20Misn.png

Okay, here's the Screenshot. Right now, when I go to the 'Travel Stellar,' I pick up the cargo (The name doesn't come up, I've counted the entries in the STR# three times, come up with the same number each time, even added and subracted 3 numbers in each direction, still no name coming up in the 'Special' field in the bottom right, or the mission quickbrief). When I land on the TravStel, I pick up the cargo, and immediately (back to back) drop it off on the same planet. I thought I fixed it by putting in -4 for the RST. Any ideas on how to fix?

By the by, I've got this mission queuing up after the intro, like I want, so no need for help there.

Ah, you are going to need to add in entries to STR#4001 (the lower case name of the cargo) and STR#4002 (the short form of the cargo) as well. That's why it isn't appearing in your screen. For some reason, it also looks like the stock data files have nothing in 4001/4002 for "Passengers", which is entry 80 in 4000. So to make it all line up, put a blank entry as 80 in 4001/4002 and then put yours.

As for the mission, again, as a mac user I don't calculate these values, so what is -4 supposed to do? IE: you currently are picking up and dropping off at the same planet, what is the desired outcome?

@jalisurr, on 30 August 2011 - 10:48 PM, said in Misn Assistance:

Uh, no it isn't, actually. Reference the CommQuote question I had a while back. Matt Burch's PERS's CommQuote field reads "11", and his quote, "I think I took a wrong turn at Palshife," is the eleventh item on the list counting from 1.

Hmm...all I know is when I make a mission, and select the first cargo type, the value given by mission computer is 0.

http://dl.dropbox.co...0Dumroc%202.png
http://dl.dropbox.co...0DumRoc%201.png
http://dl.dropbox.co...0DumRoc%203.png

Okay, got the mission to work. Turns out I had another copy of the plug elsewhere. Had to get rid of it. lol

Anyway, these screenshots are of a weapon I wanted to make, but the ammo isn't lining up right, and the weapon shoots unlimited ammo. I made another weapon before, and got it to work, but this one has me stumped.

460 isn’t a valid AmmoType. For a ‘normal’ ammunition-using weapon, AmmoType should be set to the weapon’s index number — i.e. the wëap resource ID minus 128. You can also set it to the index of another weapon if you want them to share ammunition, like the regular and turret launchers for Raven rockets.

StarSword, Jalisurr: Unfortunately not all fields and resource types work on the same principles.

Thanks, David. Got it working.

Edit: How do I get any given bar mission to not repeat? The '!' in front of the available bits?

This post has been edited by Avi Kerensky : 01 September 2011 - 06:01 PM

Yes. A !bxxxx means the mission requires you to not have that bit. If the mission sets the bit when you complete it and requires you to not have it, it will not repeat.

@jalisurr, on 01 September 2011 - 06:14 PM, said in Misn Assistance:

Yes. A !bxxxx means the mission requires you to not have that bit. If the mission sets the bit when you complete it and requires you to not have it, it will not repeat.

So to make sure I have it, any mission that I want to NOT repeat, has a !bxxxx in the 'available bits' section, and then the 'on success' bit is set to the same, without the '!'?

Example:

Mission 1:

Available: !b2000
On Success: b2000 & b2001

Mission 2:

Available: !b2001
On Success: b2001 & b2002

And moving upward. Is that correct?

Not quite. What you have would result in Mission 2 not being offered, because completing mission 1 gave you b2001, and to get mission 2, you have to not have b2001. You want:

Mission 1:

On Success: b2000

Mission 2:

Available: b2000 & !b2001
On Success: b2001

etc.

That was Mission 2 requires you to have completed mission 1, and not completed mission 2.

@jalisurr, on 01 September 2011 - 06:57 PM, said in Misn Assistance:

Not quite. What you have would result in Mission 2 not being offered, because completing mission 1 gave you b2001, and to get mission 2, you have to not have b2001. You want:

Mission 1:

On Success: b2000

Mission 2:

Available: b2000 & !b2001
On Success: b2001

etc.

That was Mission 2 requires you to have completed mission 1, and not completed mission 2.

Mission 3:

Available: b2001 & !b2002
On Success: b2002

Mission 4:
Available: b2002 & !b2003
On Success: b2003

Is that correct?

Yep, right on. Looks like you're getting the hang of the basics. Good work! 🙂

Okay, now I want to setup a mission where the player goes out, and does something, and 'reanimates' an uninhabited spob.

Is that possible, and how would I do it? Bits? I'll need an explanation.

Well, first you need to have two versions of the system in question. One with the 'live' spob and one with the 'dead' spob. In the 'dead spob' system, you will want it to appear only when bxxxx is not present. The 'live spob' system will only be present when bxxxx is present. Then your mission can set bxxxx and make them switch.

Does that make sense, or do you need a more in depth explanation?

@jalisurr, on 02 September 2011 - 03:10 PM, said in Misn Assistance:

Well, first you need to have two versions of the system in question. One with the 'live' spob and one with the 'dead' spob. In the 'dead spob' system, you will want it to appear only when bxxxx is not present. The 'live spob' system will only be present when bxxxx is present. Then your mission can set bxxxx and make them switch.

Does that make sense, or do you need a more in depth explanation?

Okay, so I need to create the spob as I want it after the mission (inhabited) with a !bxxxx modifier. Then I could (Hypothetically) just change the 'stock' spob in the main game to have the bxxxx matching modifier, and have the mission set the bxxxx on success?

Another question. I've tried looking for myself, but I can't figure out how the bits can put a rank on someone. I want completion of a certain mission to result in a rank I create. How do I use the bits to do it?