I want a Star Trek Plugin

Anyone able to help?

I would like to see a completed Star Trek plugin. I have seen teasers, but I have not seen a finished plugin. If anyone can either make one, or direct me to where I can find one for Nova (Windows), I'd be very happy. Email me: Sailorkerensky@yahoo.com. Make sure to put EV NOVA in the subject line. Thanks.

How much are you paying for someone to make one?

This post has been edited by Rickton : 05 August 2011 - 10:40 PM

Right off the bat, only gratitude. I'm out of work, and out of living quarters. I'm living off the generosity of my grandparents, who own a horseranch in the Mojave desert. It's 120 outside at noon, and I have to do work around the ranch. Horses, pastures, etc. Grueling stuff, but at least I have a place to live for it.

I'm not asking for it to be done now. Whenever is fine. I expect nothing, so even if it takes a year, I'd be happy. I just don't have the patience (or the mechanical know-how) to work the plugin creator. I can provide ideas and such, I just need someone to work the creator.

However, when I do get ahold of some spendable money, I may be able to arrange something.

Right off the bat, only gratitude. I'm out of work, and out of living quarters. I'm living off the generosity of my grandparents, who own a horseranch in the Mojave desert. It's 120 outside at noon, and I have to do work around the ranch. Horses, pastures, etc. Grueling stuff, but at least I have a place to live for it.

I'm not asking for it to be done now. Whenever is fine. I expect nothing, so even if it takes a year, I'd be happy. I just don't have the patience (or the mechanical know-how) to work the plugin creator. I can provide ideas and such, I just need someone to work the creator.

However, when I do get ahold of some spendable money, I may be able to arrange something.

Damn stupid internet. I refreshed because it wasn't working right, and look what happened. I freekin' hate AT&T.

I've seen double posts, triple posts, even quadruple posts before. You just made a nontuple post. Congrats.

With regards to someone making a plugin for you: Making a big plugin, like a TC that you seem to be asking for, is a lot of work. Multiple years for one person making a big one. Asking a plugin developer to drop their own projects to make one for you out of the goodness of their heart may be asking a bit much.

That said, there is the Star Fleet Adventures team which is already working on such a plug. They are likely your best bet. You can find their site here.

It's not that I'm looking for a total conversion (though that would be nice). I'm primarily looking for a few missions (A side stream, maybe, similar to the Sigma, or Bounty hunter lines), and a few ships/outfits.

I suppose if I had to choose one interest, I'd ask for ships/outfits more than any other one thing.

And just to reiterate, I can (and will) come up with missions, items, descriptions, etc. I can do the creative work, I just don't have the mechanical know-how to program it.

Might be a good learning opportunity for you? Creating plug-ins is not always especially difficult work, and it can be very rewarding.

I am perfectly happy to learn. The problem is that when I open the 'tutorial(s)' for making plugins, I see all the numbers and letters, and it's very confusing. I'm afraid I haven't the patience to sit there long enough to figure it all out without smashing my computer.

@avi-kerensky, on 07 August 2011 - 12:40 AM, said in I want a Star Trek Plugin:

I am perfectly happy to learn. The problem is that when I open the 'tutorial(s)' for making plugins, I see all the numbers and letters, and it's very confusing. I'm afraid I haven't the patience to sit there long enough to figure it all out without smashing my computer.

Start small. Look at the Nova Files using MissionComputer or EVNEW, and see how they correspond to the Nova Bible. Then start experimenting with various resources. One of my first plugins was a "bit fixer," an OUTF that allowed me to reset storylines in EV Override. I was able to run both the Zidagar* and Igadzra* strings in this fashion.

By fiddling with the files, I created my own custom version of the UE cruiser, which carried Crescent fighters instead of UE fighters. I used similar "cheat codes" to speed my way through the Weave string in Heart of Darkness for Nova.

To do this kind of low-level experimentation, you need to keep track of what you changed and what the effects were. Take careful notes, in other words.

For more general info, there's guides available. One of the members here wrote several extensive guides to major resource types. Zacha Pedro's Plug-in Guides gives a lot of helpful information, both on programming for EVN and on publishing completed plugs. Also check the "Important Links" sticky at the top of the forum.

• I hope I got the faction names right.

Yes, the Escape Velocity plug-in format is one of the easier ways to get into software development. You don’t need to do any programming (though the numbers and letters are pretty much unavoidable 🙂 ), and you can learn a lot just by creating cheats for yourself. I fully endorse StarSword’s suggestion to start on the low end; a full Star Trek plug-in would be an extremely daunting first project, but executing a few small, manageable ideas should at least help you get a sense of what’s involved.

I'll see if I can figure it out. I just find it a lot easier if someone can point and say that 'this does that,' etc.

Time to settle in for a long, pissy week. lmao

I made a Borg plug-in a year or so ago. It's nothing too special but it's kind of fun to mess around with. Keep in mind that it was my first and I think I may of made the borg a bit too strong....they're stronger then Polaris ships. But anyway you may want to check that out.

Right now there aren't any missions, I just made some borg ships and borg space and such. I'm working on a storyline but need to work out some details.

I can tell you from first hand experience that making ships from scratch is by far the hardest thing you can do. I am very artistically challenged and can't make these things myself. A good resource to use for star trek ship meshes though is http://www.trekmeshes.ch/ They have pretty much any ship you care to name but you have to generate the modeling and sprites yourself. There is a tutorial on this forum but it is still a lot of trial and error.

If you want to make a plug-in with star trek ships then I would recommend finding the ships you want in an existing plug-in and then ask the creator if you can use their ships in your plug-in. Most people wont mind as long as the plug-in is only used for your own entertainment and not posted online somewhere. But I can't stress enough to ASK FIRST! people put a lot of time and effort into these plug-ins and you owe them the courtesy to ask for permission to use parts from their plug-in in yours.

As long as you have the ship sprites the rest of the editing is fairly strait forward and with the help of the great tutorials on these forums you should be able to make yourself a great plug-in fairly easily.

This post has been edited by Arringfray : 15 August 2011 - 03:09 PM

Well, as a general reply to this, I have learned to create small things (a couple of ships/outfits). I'm working on making more, and I believe I will be creating an entire spob space station that will sell my outfits and ships. Check back with me for updates, or to offer comments.

@arringfray, on 15 August 2011 - 03:07 PM, said in I want a Star Trek Plugin:

I made a Borg plug-in a year or so ago. It's nothing too special but it's kind of fun to mess around with. Keep in mind that it was my first and I think I may of made the borg a bit too strong....they're stronger then Polaris ships. But anyway you may want to check that out.

Right now there aren't any missions, I just made some borg ships and borg space and such. I'm working on a storyline but need to work out some details.

I can tell you from first hand experience that making ships from scratch is by far the hardest thing you can do. I am very artistically challenged and can't make these things myself. A good resource to use for star trek ship meshes though is http://www.trekmeshes.ch/ They have pretty much any ship you care to name but you have to generate the modeling and sprites yourself. There is a tutorial on this forum but it is still a lot of trial and error.

If you want to make a plug-in with star trek ships then I would recommend finding the ships you want in an existing plug-in and then ask the creator if you can use their ships in your plug-in. Most people wont mind as long as the plug-in is only used for your own entertainment and not posted online somewhere. But I can't stress enough to ASK FIRST! people put a lot of time and effort into these plug-ins and you owe them the courtesy to ask for permission to use parts from their plug-in in yours.

As long as you have the ship sprites the rest of the editing is fairly strait forward and with the help of the great tutorials on these forums you should be able to make yourself a great plug-in fairly easily.

Thanks for the info. I'll have a look around.