New Plugin!

by Yoggy

Hello!

I just finished a Pillars of Garendall plugin. Surprise!! 🙂

From the read me:

Legend of Mana'haraa plugin

The story begins in Fantrima, where a small child sparks your interest by mentioning a cave where he used to go to play.

To install: Drag the folder "Legend of Mana'haraa plugin" into your Pillars of Garendall "Plugins" folder.

Features:

32 New people to meet

27 New items total, spread between all classes

14 New maps

4 New monsters

3 New spells apiece for the ranger and conjurer

2 New towns

Hi Yoggy. I've uploaded your plugin to the addons page which is the only way I could download it to my computer. I'm trying to play it and have run into some difficulties.

So far I have met three new people, been in two new maps, gotten one (rather deadly) new item and have absolutely no idea where to go to further the story. There is no quest journal, no one to talk to, and no clues to what happens next.

I have to ask if there were any beta testers for this plugin. Has anyone else besides yourself ever played this through? I'm sure you don't expect us to check every inch of Garendall to find the next event in the story. Or do you? :unsure:

Rubber Ducky, on May 9 2005, 01:43 AM, said:

Hi Yoggy. I've uploaded your plugin to the addons page which is the only way I could download it to my computer. I'm trying to play it and have run into some difficulties.

So far I have met three new people, been in two new maps, gotten one (rather deadly) new item and have absolutely no idea where to go to further the story. There is no quest journal, no one to talk to, and no clues to what happens next.

I have to ask if there were any beta testers for this plugin. Has anyone else besides yourself ever played this through? I'm sure you don't expect us to check every inch of Garendall to find the next event in the story. Or do you? :unsure:
View Post

Yes, ledorax and my mother (She is an avid PoG player) tested this before I released it.

Sorry, I guess there is a sort of hole in the storyline if you do something wrong... Both testers used the necklace at a different time then you, so I guess that I thought everyone would.

A backwards hint: eht ecalkcen t'nseod llik uoy, ti sezylarap uoy dna eht lleps si ylno tnenamrep fi ti stceffe uoy rof a gnol emit.

This post has been edited by Yoggy : 09 May 2005 - 11:22 AM

Yoggy, on May 9 2005, 12:15 PM, said:

Sorry, I guess there is a sort of hole in the storyline if you do something wrong...
View Post

Well the first time I got it I put it on right away (with a very strong character), fell to the floor, and died right there. Interestingly, when I went back to the save before that, I could only get the first dialogue box - it wouldn't let me back in the game. So I had to start over. I suspect a global did not get cleared.

Having died once, I haven't tried putting the necklace on again so I'm walking all over the place looking for what's next with the necklace still in inventory.

Things also get a little screwed up if you talk to the little boy before you've met his mother.

One of the advantages of having an experienced beta team is that they try things in different ways. A very wise member of this forum once told me, "If you haven't covered all the possibilities, the players will find a way to break your plugin."

It's also important to have the people you meet say something when you go back to them if they are still there. When I was lost I tried several times to talk to the little boy to see what I might have missed. All he says is, "I don't need you anymore." Not very polite, is he? 🙂 His mother acts as if I don't even exist after I did her a favor.

Rubber Ducky, on May 9 2005, 04:43 PM, said:

Well the first time I got it I put it on right away (with a very strong character), fell to the floor, and died right there. Interestingly, when I went back to the save before that, I could only get the first dialogue box - it wouldn't let me back in the game. So I had to start over. I suspect a global did not get cleared.
View Post

Huh? I don't understand.

Anyway, I'm sorry you are having so much trouble.

What to do: tup no eht ecalkcen erehw enoemos lliw dnif uoy.

I guess a version 1.1 is in the works.....

"If you haven't covered all the possibilities, the players will find a way to break your plugin."

That's pretty much the entire point of the Metroid series... >.>

If you are one of the dozen or so people who downloaded the original version of Legend of mana'haraa , please note that Yoggy has submitted version 1.0.4 now. Several corrections have been made and some better directions as to where to go and what to do.

Yoggy's advice is to download the update and start over. Come on now, you had fun doing it so far, so why not do it again with the improved plugin. 🙂

Hello.

Rubber Ducky took the file off the addons page because of several of plugin-ruining bugs. I hope to be able to produce one good enough to put up soon and ill keep you posted on progress.

This post has been edited by Yoggy : 13 May 2005 - 08:56 AM

Well, there weren't "massive amounts of plugin-ruining bugs," just one major bug which prevented the player from entering a new area, and some very minor bugs which don't prevent play. Version 1.0.4 should clear the major bug and I've put it up on the addons page while we iron out the minor ones.

Please post if you find things that should be fixed. Together we can help Yoggy fine-tune this into a welcome addition to the growing list of quest-oriented plugins.

I found this to be a very creative story with a suitable reward at the end. I think Yoggy's maps are very well done, and I'm sure you'll like his new monsters (while cursing them at the same time.)

It gets an "RD thumbs up." I expect more good things from this young game maker. There is a lesson to be learned however. Have a few experienced players beta test your work before you upload to the addons page. 🙂

Rubber Ducky, on May 13 2005, 04:34 AM, said:

I found this to be a very creative story with a suitable reward at the end. I think Yoggy's maps are very well done, and I'm sure you'll like his new monsters (while cursing them at the same time.)
View Post

it's no DiD, but i liked it, it adds to the game. it's good to see people doing creative plug-ins, what with coldstone all stalled out. thanks yoggy!
it would be nice, though, to be able to sell that 'suitable reward' if you don't want to use it, but it is unsellable...

I agree with Megah, not as good as DiD, or Spells Expander, but certainly almost as interesting as WoC. I personally found the most entertaining part to be burning through the trees in the Utian village using firestorm, instead of an axe. I found that 600 rounds of magical arrows did the trick as well.

There still seem to be a few bugs, with characters disappearing, but otherwise an excellent plugin. The new spells set up some facinating combos (Firestorm and sanctuary), but for some reason, you can cast the ice form multiple times, giving you higher and higher speed.
Some parts were rather confusing, and it took me a while to figure out exactly what I needed to do. Still, I found it fun, but I think the village elders should have given the character a reward as well...

8/10.

~LabRat

This post has been edited by LabRat : 05 June 2005 - 05:37 PM

I got thru the forest, but when I exited, the game froze. I am using a very strong well equipped swordsman in the game. The only thing I can think is that I am trying to exit in the wrong place, but there is no other exit that I can find. The game says "loading characters" and then goes blank. Other than that, I have found it to be a very good plugin. Thanks yoggy. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by wagsten : 11 June 2005 - 12:09 PM

wagsten, on Jun 11 2005, 01:09 PM, said:

The game says "loading characters" and then goes blank.
View Post

Hi wagsten. Haven't heard from you in a while now. 🙂

I'm sure you're exiting at the right place or you wouldn't get the loading bars started. This sounds like there is a conflict with either the characters or whatever comes next (which would be items if I remember correctly.) Do you have any other plugins active which might have a character or item which is given the same name as one in Yoggy's plugin?

If you do have other plugins active, try this: Save a game just before you reach the edge of the forest and quit the game. Now restart that game systematically removing one plugin at a time until the border crossing doesn't freeze the game. Now you can put back all the plugins except the last one and see if you still cross freely. If so, that last plugin you removed has a conflict with Yoggy's plugin.

I think I tested this with all the quest type plugins I know of, but I didn't load up some of the item and cheat plugins. Please let us know if you find where the bug is hiding.

Rubber Ducky, on Jun 11 2005, 10:45 PM, said:

If you do have other plugins active, try this: Save a game just before you reach the edge of the forest and quit the game. Now restart that game systematically removing one plugin at a time until the border crossing doesn't freeze the game. Now you can put back all the plugins except the last one and see if you still cross freely. If so, that last plugin you removed has a conflict with Yoggy's plugin.

RD, thanks for you reply. I did as you suggested and still no luck. I now get the following error message:

"Unhandled exception c0000005 at address: 00408aa3"

Only plugins running are Yoggy's, DID, and Trinity. :unsure:

PS: I am running windows xp.

This post has been edited by wagsten : 12 June 2005 - 08:07 AM

wagsten, on Jun 12 2005, 09:07 AM, said:

View Post

I have no idea. Perhaps someone else here does.

Rubber Ducky, on Jun 12 2005, 01:28 PM, said:

I have no idea. Perhaps someone else here does.
View Post

i don't know, but i'd try reinstalling new copies of the game and/or plugins (save the old character files).

wagsten, on Jun 12 2005, 11:07 PM, said:

RD, thanks for you reply. I did as you suggested and still no luck. I now get the following error message:

Only plugins running are Yoggy's, DID, and Trinity. :unsure:

View Post

Hi Wagsten,

As far as I can determine, an exception of class "c0000005" in Windows indicates an application is trying to perform an illegal access - basically trying to do something that Windows won't let it do (I picked this up by trying to digest Microsoft Support - which is an exercise in frustration, and sadly, doesn't have your specific problem address isolated, and the only Google resuts I get for it are in Japanese - which I can't read.)

I'd suggest uninstalling PoG completely and then trying a clean install of the app. Once you've done that, pop Legend of mana'haraa back into the plugins folder without Trinity or DiD (unless it requires Trinity) and see if it works from there - you'll probably have to start a new character for this, although I'd advise keeping your saves somewhere so that you don't lose everything.

If this solves the problem, try putting Trinity (if it was not being used) into the plugins folder and go through it again. Lather, rinse, and repeat with DiD. If it works all the way through, than maybe something in your PoG install became corrupted. If it's still not working (at any of the steps above), we might need to get someone else with XP to try installing Legend and see if they experience similar problems.

Good luck!

-Andiyar

LabRat, on Jun 4 2005, 08:38 PM, said:

I personally found the most entertaining part to be burning through the trees in the Utian village using firestorm, instead of an axe. I found that 600 rounds of magical arrows did the trick as well.

~LabRat
View Post

my ranger just did it with the great bow of vyro. that's a fun one too!