Making Shans...

Zoom in on the fighter and re-render at a smaller size then. Masking is easy if you just apply a blank white texture (with a glow effect not a carona to counter the shadows), then render again and convert that into a sprite sheet. I always do that as a matter of course, as Sprite App is not perfect on shadowed ships.

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Aug 17 2010, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

. . .I have to trim the photo so there isn't a huge black area around the ship that's just taking up space.

As Templar98921 says, the solution is to set your renderer so that there isn't a huge black area to begin with. Alternatively, you can — as I mentioned before — use your finished grid as the source for making your mask in a 2D graphics programme.

I don't have a renderer. My bad. I should have stated that from the beginning. I'm just looking for an easy way to ensure that I trim the photos to the same size so the grids are the same size. That's all.

This post has been edited by Spartan Jai : 18 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (Templar98921 @ Aug 18 2010, 05:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Zoom in on the fighter and re-render at a smaller size then. Masking is easy if you just apply a blank white texture (with a glow effect not a carona to counter the shadows), then render again and convert that into a sprite sheet. I always do that as a matter of course, as Sprite App is not perfect on shadowed ships.

You, sir, have obviously never used sketchup. It's a bare-bones "WYSIWYG" modeling program- no glow, bump, displacement, reflectivity, corona, or light sources of any kind other than the sun. That doesn't mean that your first point doesn't apply though.

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Aug 18 2010, 07:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't have a renderer. My bad. I should have stated that from the beginning. I'm just looking for an easy way to ensure that I trim the photos to the same size so the grids are the same size. That's all.

Set sektchup to export smaller graphics - zoom all the way into the ship so that it fits top-to-bottom and rotates ok (many ships are larger top to bottom at an angle, so make sure yours doesn't get clipped). Then, you have 2 options, since Sketchup can't export square graphics (unless you do some tricky stuff with monitor setup, I'm sure).

1. Use the ship rendered wider than it needs to be based on your screen ratio- you could still use the extra space if you set up a camera angle that supports it (you use substantial up/down compression and your camera angle is something like 30-60 degrees).
  2. Build a rectangle/square that is at exactly the same angle as the camera and close to it - this can be done in sketchup using section planes (the section plane can be set to set a camera location). Use the rectangle/square to crop your image. I've done it before, it can be done.

On second thought, use the attached file. It's a 200' square, so you may need to scale your model. Make sure you place the model centered on the origon, and use the "Main" tab to export. Change shadows as you see fit, but don't touch camera angle (you may want to update the "Main" scene to keep your shadow settings).

Attached File(s)

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Aug 18 2010, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So... you're taking screenshots of the un rendered image in your modelling programme? Or exporting in some other way that doesn't allow you to set the dimensions at which you export :huh:

If this is the case, then any good 2D graphics programme ought to have the option to set your frames to all have the exact same pixel dimensions, which will lead to a grid that fits together properly.

In any case, my advice to base your mask grid on the sprite grid still stands. And if you do this, then the two will automatically be the same size.

QUOTE (David Arthur @ Aug 18 2010, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So... you're taking screenshots of the un rendered image in your modelling programme? Or exporting in some other way that doesn't allow you to set the dimensions at which you export :huh:

I don't know exactly what he's doing, but I do know that sketchup is "WYSIWYG" and doesn't do any high-end suff (lights, reflectivity, mapping, etc. etc.). It does export to all standard 2d-raster formats, several 2d-vector formats (if you pay for the upgrade anyway), at least one movie format, and many 3d formats (again, with the pro version). In the export dialogue, you can specify the exact size export, but it is proportionate to your screen, not adjustable. There is no reason whatsoever to use screen shots, so I hope that's not it.

QUOTE (David Arthur @ Aug 18 2010, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No offense, David, or anyone else, but I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL. NOR DO I NEED ANY OF THIS STUFF TO MAKE A LIVING. The first point is easily realized as I don't know what I'm doing. And plus, I don't know the first thing about making ANYTHING, so if I can't get it right the first hundred times, I come to these forums. So if necessary, would I be able to do this in Adobe Illustrator? Make the mask, I mean. I guess I'll just try this and get back to you guys. I should also use it to trim, if at all possible.

QUOTE (Spartan Jai @ Aug 18 2010, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So if necessary, would I be able to do this in Adobe Illustrator? Make the mask, I mean. I guess I'll just try this and get back to you guys. I should also use it to trim, if at all possible.

While Adobe Illustrator will work well for sizing the images, it will not center the content of the image nor will it properly re-size the content and your spin will fail to work properly or look good. I have provided 2 files that should do most of the work of getting your ship set up in this program, one you need to center your ship, set up shadows, and rotate it manually at 10 degree increments, exporting each file from the scene's camera to your desired resolution; the other requires you to center your ship and use each scene tab to export to your desired resolution - you won't likely get shadows out of it.

Sketchup has an export function that is very simple to use, and can give you exact (though rectangular) dimensions. Zoom your ship into view with enough room around it to see it properly when it is rotated (using Menu Bar>Camera>Zoom Window), and then export it to a 2d graphic by using Menu Bar>File>Export>2d Graphic... . This will bring up a window asking you where to save it, what to call it, what file extension/format to give it, and an "Options..." button on the bottom right of the menu. This options button opens up the dimensions of the export, as well as some other features depending on your other settings. The main thing is to uncheck the box that says "Use screen resolution" and type in numbers that will work for your other programs. They are linked based on your screen resolution, so you'll never get them to be exactly the same, but you can specify 32, 48, 64, 96, 128, 144, 196, or 256 that are good dimensions for EV to work with. Then your images will be the same size every time, which is crucial.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Rather than using my file and having to keep the camera stationary, you can also set up a square watermark (Like Sp3cies does) that goes in front of your model in the "styles" window. You'll need a suitable image to use for it, and it may need to be .png, but it should be easy enough to do. You'll still need to locate the camera somewhere, otherwise the ship will look wrong, but you can make your own custom setup incredibly easily.

This post has been edited by Meaker VI : 19 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

Meaker, you're right. Illustrator didn't work very well at all. But I did get them the same size, and I'm just tweaking the ship specs. Thanks for the help, everyone. It was appreciated.