OSX 10.4 and archiving a plug

what versions of OSX can acceptably archive

I read that panther's zip creation method - right click and "create archive of…", is not accepted by ambrosia. I have OSX 10.4.11 and I was wondering if this system's create archive feature can create zip files that are accepted by ambrosia for plug in submission. Also what if any OSX versions (10.5, 10.6 etc.) can create acceptable zips with their create archive feature or some other built in feature?

thanks

None, as far as I'm aware. There's an archive utility, but I don't know where it is. Sorry.

What happened to the Plug-In Archiver I gave you a copy of? Didn't that work?

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Jul 16 2010, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What happened to the Plug-In Archiver I gave you a copy of? Didn't that work?

Oh I imagine it will work fine. I was just asking for the sake of more information about osx. Thanks

It isn't a matter of anything being wroing with Apple's built-in compression features that they should have fixed. Rather, the problem is that the process for extracting and converting plug-ins on Windows is very touchy, and files that are delivered in any format that you would normally choose nowadays break it. Instead of requiring two versions of each plug-in, or having many of them be inaccessible to Windows users, the general consensus has been that a rather unusual archiving process is the least of the possible evils.

Does the same extraction issues apply to the .rez format? I didn't think it did.

.rez format can be easily extracted on any platform, as it doesn't have a resource fork. However, to actually use the plug-in on a Macintosh, it has to be converted to the nornal format, and the Macintosh version of the game doesn't include a convertor the way that the Windows version does. (One is available from the site in my signature.)