Armor, shields, escape pods, and escape ships

I recall reading in a thread here something to the effect that, when the player ejects in an escape pod—or was it an escape ship—then the amount of armor in the player’s new ship is some function of some shield value somewhere. What exactly is it?

Also, what if the escape pod has a shïp? Does the player still get switched into a different ship automatically?

I don't know about the percentages, but that is a problem with my escape ship plugin -- when you eject, you depart your defunct hulk with reduced armor.

Check it out. Signature.

It's there either because of a bug (due to you previously having more shields and armour than your new ship has) or intentionally because your ship is blowing up around you. My guess is the latter. you might gain some insight into the situation by making a plug-in allowing the player to buy a ship that carries a launch bay for a fighter with more shields/armour than the parent ship. Eject and see what happens.

QUOTE (DarthKev @ Jul 4 2010, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's there either because of a bug (due to you previously having more shields and armour than your new ship has) or intentionally because your ship is blowing up around you. My guess is the latter.

The Nova Bible describes it as follows:
Ship is an escape ship type - if the player is carrying any ships of this type and decides to eject, he will fly off in a ship of this type (with random damage) instead of an escape pod.
...so I think we can be reasonably confident that it's an intentional function of the engine.

Okay, that is good to know. One half of the issue clarified. But, I am almost positive I heard that if you eject in an escape pod, then you will be put into shïp 128 with armor level set to the maximum shield level of…I want to say shïp 128. It became an issue when ships had 0 shields, so when they ejected then they died against instantly. If and when I have time I will test it, but I was hoping someone might remember or have a link to the relevant thread.

I believe that would've had something to do with Colosseum. Ships were supposed to have 0 shields in that since shields were gained by installing generators. That was later fixed by giving every fighter a natural shield rating of 1.

You have investigated shïp ID 895?

It doesn't have a special flag for "escape pod", but it does have the escape ship flag checked. Nothing about being indestructible or anything like that is immediantely obvious.

ETA:

Based on the limited info in the shïp ID, I reckon there is something in the Nova Bible or the engine that has to be discovered.

This post has been edited by Mk.32 : 06 July 2010 - 06:47 PM