Ionization Effects?

What exactly are the effects of ionization? Does the slowing effect increase with more ionization, or is it just a constant slowing if you're ionized? Does it affect weapon fire rates as well? And how much is a ship slowed by being ionized?

I can't seem to find the answers to these questions, and the information would be quite useful for my experiments in weapons design. Heck I might even make a plug-in (for more people than just myself) out of it.

I'm sure that it affects turning and accel. Speed, I dunno.

The reason I know this is because I made a ship and forgot to set its ionization stuff. I ended up ionized, unable to turn in any direction, going straight into infinity, unless I was hypering. It was really annoying.

Ionization affects acceleration and turn rate, but not max speed.

Its effects are directly proprotional to the amount of ionization on the ship, even when the ionization levels are below whatever is in the MaxIonize field. I'm not sure just what changes when you pass the MaxIonize level.

Hope this helps.

Keldor Sarn, on Dec 31 2004, 08:38 PM, said:

What exactly are the effects of ionization? Does the slowing effect increase with more ionization, or is it just a constant slowing if you're ionized? Does it affect weapon fire rates as well? And how much is a ship slowed by being ionized?

I can't seem to find the answers to these questions, and the information would be quite useful for my experiments in weapons design. Heck I might even make a plug-in (for more people than just myself) out of it.
View Post

Plugins can also include weapons that will not function while you're ionized, but this doesn't happen in the stock Nova scenario.

When you reach the maxionize it just means it can't get any worse. My understanding is that the maxionize is just a measure of how quickly a ship gets ionized rather than how much it's affected by it.

What I really want to know is whether 10 max ion with 1 deionization is the same as 1000 max ion with 100 deeionize in all except the amount of ionization it takes to injure them or will a ship with 10 max ion be almost unaffected by ion weapons?

A ship with max ion of 10 with ionize in like one hit of whatever. A ship with max ion of 1000 will take much longer to become ionized. You'll notice the effect with the ship with 10 much faster and it'll be horrible. A ship with deionize of 1 will take a helluva long time to deionize, and a ship with a deionize of 100 will deionize like instantly. If both ships reached max ion and only their max ion, I guess they'd deionize at the same rate.

I had a question about full ionization, but I may have answered it from my tests. I thought that once a ship was fully ionized it couldn't be ionized anymore. If my hypothesis from my tests is right, then that's partially true. The ship's speed (in my evn 1.1.0 ships' speed is definitely affected unless using afterburners), turn and acceleration aren't negatively affected anymore after a ship reaches full ionization. However, it looks like ships can continue to "store" ion points which must be dissipated.

Ex: my manticore with a deionize rate of 30 (should be 9 points per second I think) and a max ionization level of 225 got ionized by 4 ion cannons for a long period of time (maybe 10-15 seconds). It took just over 2 minutes to fully deionize. That should mean that it had somewhere over 1000 ion points to dissipate.

Ex 2: the same manticore was ionized for a much shorter time (maybe 5 seconds). It took about 1min 10sec to fully deionize. Should mean it had around 630 ion points to dissipate.

note: the plug i'm using has a stock manticore with shields of 1550 and armor of 1360 and ion cannons doing 60 dmg/s to shields and 30 dmg/s to armor - that's how it can withstand that long a time under 4 ion cannons. …The damage done to my manticore doesn't really seem to add up for that amount of time under fire (i had somewhere around 90% armor remaining after the long time under fire), but whatever.