EVO Map

Did anyone ever make a plug to make the EVO for Nova map larger? As it stands, it really sucks, because I got used to the full screen map plug in EVN. Couldn't find anything in the add-ons, but maybe I wasn't looking for the right thing.

So far as I know, the generic fullscreen map plugin works with anything in Nova. I use it with EVC, EVO, SFA, Arpia, HoD, RoP, etc...

Ok. I'll have to try that. I wasn't sure if it needed anything more.

EDIT: The graphics are VERY wrong. By very wrong, though, I mean that it's using the nova window outlines for the map instead of EVO graphics. Looks terribly wrong. Not sure what to do about that though.

This post has been edited by CaptJosh : 22 March 2010 - 01:27 AM

It's using Nova graphics because that's what it was designed to use. After all, the windows in EVN don't resize themselves, they're images and need to be made the right size as an image. The Full-Screen Map plug-in includes enlarged images of the map so that it may work correctly. However, being designed to work with EVN means it uses larger versions of the Nova map window, not the EVC and EVO map window.

If you want the classic black-and-white wire-frame window, you'll have to make them yourself or have someone else make them for you. That said, drawing white lines on black canvas on a computer is rather easy.

Yeah, I was going to get the graphics from one of the EVO data files, but EVNEW still crashes when certain Mac resources it was never written to either handle or ignore are in a rez file you try to open. I think cicn or dlog resources. I don't remember for sure.

Fortunately, there is a larger map available in a set of plugs on Guy's site that's bundled as "EVO Extras".

This post has been edited by CaptJosh : 22 March 2010 - 08:14 PM

I'm not sure about dlog resources, but EVNEW handles cicn resources fine.

Well, I forget which resource it is, exactly, but there's a particular resource type that if it's in a .rez file, EVNEW crashes, always, upon attempting to open the file. Doesn't much matter to me anymore though. I have my G4 tower dug out of storage and operational now. I can use Mission Computer instead.

This post has been edited by CaptJosh : 26 March 2010 - 08:45 PM

New tag-line:

Mission Computer: The Superior Computer!™

Gotta admit, I've been tinkering with EVNEW for a couple of years now, and I've never once had it choke on any converted file, at least one meant for Nova. Would the resource in question be for Classic or Override?

It's one of the data files for Guy's evo port, actually. I forget which one. I believe it's the dlog or ditl resource type that makes it barf. Can never remember which though.

Both of those are for EVN and thus shouldn't cause problems.

Ok, there is a resource that is Mac specific that crashes EVNEW. I don't remember which it is, but it's dlog, ditl, or cicn, IIRC. None of those three even show up in EVNEW's resource types and if you open Override Graphics.rez from Guy's EVO port in EVNEW, it stops responding once it loads the 5th resource of 413 in the file.

This post has been edited by CaptJosh : 06 April 2010 - 08:26 AM

Could be dlog or ditl. cicn resources show up in my copy of EVNEW, at least. What do dlog and ditl resources do, exactly? I can't seem to find them in the Nova Bible.

They tell Nova where to place buttons for the Spaceport, Bar, Shipyard, etc. Anywhere the player goes while in port. Also, dialogue windows.

This post has been edited by darthkev : 08 April 2010 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (krugeruwsp @ Apr 8 2010, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do dlog and ditl resources do, exactly? I can't seem to find them in the Nova Bible.

That's because they're standard Macintosh resource types, rather than ones that Matt invented himself. As darthkev says, they're responsible for dialogue boxes. Specifically, DLOG creates the box, and DITL (Dialogue box ITem List) supplies the buttons and other controls within it, although most editors treat them both as a unit wherever possible.

Ah. Interesting. So, how does Windows do this, since it must do this differently? Coded into the engine? Or does it just seek desc resources?

I don't know offhand how the Windows port handles dialogue boxes. They might be hard-coded, but if I were writing it, I would probably write code that interpreted the classic Mac OS-style resources, and converted them on the fly to a Windows dialogue box format.