NAEV

QUOTE (Nonconventionally Creative @ Apr 14 2009, 03:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I mean. It's just on Linux, there are circumstances where Ctrl-Alt-Del (which everyone probably knows) does not work, but Ctrl-Alt-Backspace (restart X) does work. For user programs, restarting X will just end everything, but at least the kernel is kept happy, so you don't get, say, hard drive errors (except on the application level).

Or in my situation when it hard locks that nothing works. My hardlocks are due to using the open source radeon driver and happen inside the kernel blocking the entire card until rebooting (probably could try to force unload the module, but that doesn't inspire confidence).

I am running vista and the game works perfectly for me. Great job by the way. Nice touch with the debris. If you could really incorporate a movie system, you would be my hero. That is something I always hoped EV would have.

QUOTE (rafy23 @ Apr 14 2009, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am running vista and the game works perfectly for me. Great job by the way. Nice touch with the debris. If you could really incorporate a movie system, you would be my hero. That is something I always hoped EV would have.

Actually, the only reason a movie system isn't implemented, is the lack of movies :p. First movie I get and I'll implement it within the weekend 🙂 (with ffmpeg).

QUOTE (rafy23 @ Apr 14 2009, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am running XP, so that might mean something.

Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Sevice Pack 2

Intel® Pentium®
M Processor 1400MHz
587 MHz, 512 MB of RAM

QUOTE (Ianator @ Apr 14 2009, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am running XP, so that might mean something.

Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Sevice Pack 2

Intel® Pentium®
M Processor 1400MHz
587 MHz, 512 MB of RAM

What were you doing when it happened? Landing? A 0.3.9 release will be soonish, and I want to make sure this is completely bug free as it will most likely be the last of the 0.3.x series and next release will be the extremely big and fancy 0.4.0.

Just flying around, sometimes there's a ship shooting at stuff. Maybe I'll close all the other stuff that's running first - I'll try it one more time and let you know how it turns out.

QUOTE (Ianator @ Apr 14 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just flying around, sometimes there's a ship shooting at stuff. Maybe I'll close all the other stuff that's running first - I'll try it one more time and let you know how it turns out.

The assert you're getting is because of the Lua stack being unbalanced. Most of the Lua stuff is run when landing/taking off, there's only two things this could mean.

A) A mission you have active is being screwy.
B) AI Lua is being screwy.

Try to reproduce without any active missions, that'll narrow down the issue to AI. Also check to see if you have an stderr.log created, if so paste it. It might have some warnings indicating what happens.

This post has been edited by bobbens : 14 April 2009 - 04:29 PM

I just did it again and it crashed right after jumping out of the system with Caladan. I did have two missions active - the Probe Delivery and Empire Recruitment. stderr has the following:

CODE

Warning: (gl_init) Unable to get requested FSAA level (8 requested, got 1)
Warning: (music_load) SDL_Mixer: Failed loading libvorbisfile-3.dll: The specified module could not be found.

Warning: (music_runLua) Error while choosing music: (string "snd/music.lua"):81: Music 'machina' invalid or failed to load.
Warning: (music_load) SDL_Mixer: Failed loading libvorbisfile-3.dll: The specified module could not be found.

Warning: (music_runLua) Error while choosing music: (string "snd/music.lua"):81: Music 'machina' invalid or failed to load.

Warning: (music_runLua) Error while choosing music: (string "snd/music.lua"):141: Music 'launch3chatstart' invalid or failed to load.

Warning: (music_runLua) Error while choosing music: (string "snd/music.lua"):234: Music 'peace4' invalid or failed to load.

Warning: (music_runLua) Error while choosing music: (string "snd/music.lua"):259: Music 'flf_battle1' invalid or failed to load.

Warning: (music_runLua) Error while choosing music: (string "snd/music.lua"):234: Music 'empire1' invalid or failed to load.

Warning: (music_runLua) Error while choosing music: (string "snd/music.lua"):234: Music 'empire2' invalid or failed to load.

Warning: (music_runLua) Error while choosing music: (string "snd/music.lua"):129: Music 'agriculture' invalid or failed to load.

Warning: (music_runLua) Error while choosing music: (string "snd/music.lua"):141: Music 'liftoff' invalid or failed to load.

Warning: (music_runLua) Error while choosing music: (string "snd/music.lua"):234: Music 'peace4' invalid or failed to load.

Warning: (music_runLua) Error while choosing music: (string "snd/music.lua"):259: Music 'flf_battle1' invalid or failed to load.

Warning: (music_runLua) Error while choosing music: (string "snd/music.lua"):234: Music 'peace2' invalid or failed to load.

Warning: (music_runLua) Error while choosing music: (string "snd/music.lua"):234: Music 'peace1' invalid or failed to load.

EDIT: Thank you good Qaanol

This post has been edited by Ianator : 14 April 2009 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (Ianator @ Apr 14 2009, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how do you make the Code boxes small again?

codebox
/codebox

will make a fixed-size code box with the ability to scroll if necessary

CODE

this
was
made
with
the
CODEBOX
markup
even
though
it
says
CODE
at
the

So it looks like I am missing music? That would explain why there's only sound, but is that problem deep enough to freak out the Lua stack?

It could be... Have you been attacked by any ships yet?

Oh yeah, almost every time I jump or take off in this sector there's a marauder or someone saying they're gonna board me.

By movies I mean like an ingame movie. I've noticed that sometimes when you die you get the two black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. I think something like that can be done to focus on specific ships or events like it is done in rts games.

On a different note, I think the combat may be a bit too hard for me. I stayed with the lama yaht without any upgrades to conserve money so I could upgrade to the corvette but then I got this mission that required me to take some prisoners somewhere. Anyway, things went south and I need to escape but my little yaht was no match for the like ten ships waiting in space and everytime I load I die becasue I can't run away fast enough and the game closes and I am back on the desktop. I'll probably start again but is the game supposed to end when you die on that mission?

QUOTE (Ianator @ Apr 14 2009, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just did it again and it crashed right after jumping out of the system with Caladan. I did have two missions active - the Probe Delivery and Empire Recruitment. stderr has the following:

CODE

Warning: (gl_init) Unable to get requested FSAA level (8 requested, got 1)

Warning: (music_runLua) Error while choosing music: (string "snd/music.lua"):141: Music 'launch3chatstart' invalid or failed to load.

Warning: (music_runLua) Error while choosing music: (string "snd/music.lua"):234: Music 'empire1' invalid or failed to load.

Warning: (music_runLua) Error while choosing music: (string "snd/music.lua"):234: Music 'empire2' invalid or failed to load.

Warning: (music_runLua) Error while choosing music: (string "snd/music.lua"):129: Music 'agriculture' invalid or failed to load.

Warning: (music_runLua) Error while choosing music: (string "snd/music.lua"):141: Music 'liftoff' invalid or failed to load.

Warning: (music_runLua) Error while choosing music: (string "snd/music.lua"):234: Music 'peace2' invalid or failed to load.

Warning: (music_runLua) Error while choosing music: (string "snd/music.lua"):234: Music 'peace1' invalid or failed to load.

EDIT: Thank you good Qaanol

Try copying libvorbisfile.dll to libvorbisfile-3.dll. You using latest version of the installer or the first one?

QUOTE (rafy23 @ Apr 15 2009, 05:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By movies I mean like an ingame movie. I've noticed that sometimes when you die you get the two black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. I think something like that can be done to focus on specific ships or events like it is done in rts games.

On a different note, I think the combat may be a bit too hard for me. I stayed with the lama yaht without any upgrades to conserve money so I could upgrade to the corvette but then I got this mission that required me to take some prisoners somewhere. Anyway, things went south and I need to escape but my little yaht was no match for the like ten ships waiting in space and everytime I load I die becasue I can't run away fast enough and the game closes and I am back on the desktop. I'll probably start again but is the game supposed to end when you die on that mission?

An ingame movie could be done, but I'd need some clean idea for an implementation. NAEV is a very fast game, if you focus off player for 3 seconds, he could get completely killed. So that would leave us with two ways to do ingame movies basically:

A) Stop all movement or only move selected ships.
B) Create a virtual space and control everything.

I still don't see how feasible it would be to do sanely. How would you control a movie? Would it be deterministic? I'm out of ideas here.

On your fighting issue, first off I'd like to point out there's no selling penalty in 0.3.8 (yet). So you can freely buy/sell. Second issue, you should always get an afterburner and use it (double tap accel). That mission might be a bit hard in a Llama, but I think I've done it in a Llama before. Third off, you're triggering a known segfault. That's already fixed in the developement versions and will be in 0.3.9 when it's released.

Finally, you should seriously get a better ship, Llama is painful to fly. I'd recommend a Gawain if you want a very fast ship, you can also outfit it to hold decent cargo. Another option would be a Koala which is a bit slow but can take more hits, if you give it an engine reroute and a hellburner it should be decent.

QUOTE (bobbens)

Try copying libvorbisfile.dll to libvorbisfile-3.dll. You using latest version of the installer or the first one?

I tried the copying, and during the startup I got error messages that I couldn't read because the game <i>refuses</i> to be anywhere other than on top of everything else. I'm currently using v0.3.8.

EDIT: Tried it again. I refuse to start the game up again until I figure out how to run it windowed.

This post has been edited by Ianator : 15 April 2009 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (Ianator @ Apr 15 2009, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried the copying, and during the startup I got error messages that I couldn't read because the game <i>refuses</i> to be anywhere other than on top of everything else. I'm currently using v0.3.8.

EDIT: Tried it again. I refuse to start the game up again until I figure out how to run it windowed.

The game running in fullscreen by default is something the windows porter did. To disable it you have to edit the file "%USERPROFILE%\naev/\conf" and put "fullscreen = 0" instead of "fullscreen = 1". Yes, something in the game GUI setting that would be more comfortable, but until a proper way to save the conf file without bashing what is already there is figured out, it won't be implemented (which is the same reason sound/music volume levels aren't saved).

I cannot find this %USERPFOFILE% that you speak of.

It's a hot key that's used by windows to locate user files. It's kinda like the tilda from OS X.

If you use Windows Explorer to navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\(your user name)\naev, you'll find a file there called conf. That's basically all %USERPROFILE%\naev\conf means.

Except for that Documents and Settings is not guaranteed to be the location of the user's folder. Just using %variable% works in any windows window (explorer or run prompt, mainly), and the normal way from the command prompt (like $variable).

QUOTE (JacaByte @ Apr 15 2009, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a hot key that's used by windows to locate user files. It's kinda like the tilda from OS X.

If you use Windows Explorer to navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\(your user name)\naev, you'll find a file there called conf. That's basically all %USERPROFILE%\naev\conf means.

Thank you good sir, this makes things much easier.

Next test, without the libvorbisfile-3.dll:

Loaded, launched from a planet, got shot at and loaded again. After jumping to my destination system at the end of my fuel, I got the Lua overflow thingy - I ignored, but the fuel gauge was whacked out (showed the "full" graphic twice, neither of which was actually aligned with where it was supposed to be. Upon attempting to land, I got two more Lua overflows (ignored) followed by this...

CODE

Assertion failed!

Program: C:\Program Files\Naev\naev.exe
File: lapi.c
Line: 811

Expression: (nresults)== (-1) || (L->ci->top - L->top >= (nresults) - (nargs))

I aborted.

THIS JUST IN : So I tried the libvorbis thing again. It couldn't find (I think) libvorbis-0 and then libogg-0. So I copied them in, tried it again and HOLY CRAP THE MUSIC KEEPS IT FROM CRASHING!!!

So yeah, there's my problem. Still got the fuel gauge problem, but at least I can play now!

This post has been edited by Ianator : 15 April 2009 - 06:45 PM