NAEV

Make a channel on irc.ambrosia.net

QUOTE (lobf @ Apr 10 2009, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Make a channel on irc.ambrosia.net

Official channel is #naev on irc.freenode.net, you are welcome to create one on irc.ambrosia.net.

I think a channel is better merited here on the Ambrosia IRC server, since this game is based on Escape Velocity. I'll create it, and if you want I'll hand over administrative access to you as soon as you tell me what nick you've registered with the Ambrosia IRC server, if any.

QUOTE (JacaByte @ Apr 10 2009, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think a channel is better merited here on the Ambrosia IRC server, since this game is based on Escape Velocity. I'll create it, and if you want I'll hand over administrative access to you as soon as you tell me what nick you've registered with the Ambrosia IRC server, if any.

Well I'd like to believe the game is more designed around open source values then escape velocity values. The new changes intended for the 0.4.0 release will start differentiating it more from the Escape Velocity series. While I admire the Escape Velocity series a lot, I don't want to condition NAEV as an Escape Velocity remake. It will have similar gameplay, I don't deny that, but I want to give it it's own flair and flavour.

The channel #naev on irc.freenode.net has existed for over a year now, and I'd really like to keep it as the official IRC channel. It already has a handful of freenodians which is hard to get :).

Ok, JacaByte was nice enough to set up a channel #naev at on irc.ambrosia.net. Any of you Ambrosia folks who want help installing and setting up NAEV, please feel free to drop by. The main development channel on #naev at irc.freenode.net is pretty busy for most of the day, so if you don't get any response on the ambrosia channel, try joining us there.

I'm Elderman on IRC.

This post has been edited by Bubbles : 10 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

Windows problems!

#1. libpng12.dll and libxml2.dll could not be found. (Fixed that easily enough)

#2. Runtime error! This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. (I'm lost)

EDIT: From the error log...

QUOTE ("stderr.txt")

Warning: (gl_init) Unable to get requested FSAA level (8 requested, got 1)
ERROR src/opengl.c:581 (gl_loadNewImage): 'gfx/loading/gawain.png' could not be opened: Failed loading libpng12-0.dll: The specified module could not be found.

Seeing how few files there are in the Naev folder, was there something else I was supposed to download?

This post has been edited by Ianator : 10 April 2009 - 07:11 PM

Edit: nevermind, I didn't read the error message carefully enough. Deleted.

This post has been edited by Bubbles : 10 April 2009 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (Ianator @ Apr 11 2009, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Windows problems!

#1. libpng12.dll and libxml2.dll could not be found. (Fixed that easily enough)

#2. Runtime error! This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. (I'm lost)

EDIT: From the error log...

Seeing how few files there are in the Naev folder, was there something else I was supposed to download?

Try copying libpng12.dll to libpng12-0.dll. Seems a bit strange.

QUOTE (bobbens @ Apr 10 2009, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try copying libpng12.dll to libpng12-0.dll. Seems a bit strange.

😄 Victoly! Will try this tomorrow after I sleep.

QUOTE (Ianator @ Apr 11 2009, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

😄 Victoly! Will try this tomorrow after I sleep.

This should be fixed in hopefully the last version of the windows installer.

Windows installer worked right out of the box for me. Nice work!

Got another problem!

QUOTE (Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library)

Assertion failed!

Program: C:\Program Files\Naev\naev.exe
File: lapi.c
Live: 449

Expression: L->top < L->ci- >top

This usually happens after I've played for about four minutes. "ignore" sometimes keeps the game going, but the last time I got several errors and accidentally clicked "abort".

Maaan, I'm starting to not like this computer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Bobbens; that's the Lua API that's dying for some reason, if I may take a wild guess.

It means one of these:
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/cassert/assert/
failed in the C/C++ code.

Right, but if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me, "lapi.c" means a C++ file whose name stands for " L ua API." M'kay?

It got worse. Repeated Ignores cause my screen to glitch out and force me to hard-reboot.

QUOTE (Ianator @ Apr 13 2009, 01:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It got worse. Repeated Ignores cause my screen to glitch out and force me to hard-reboot.

NAEV shouldn't be able to cause a reboot, but I'll see what I can do with the issue. The Lua assert just means that the stack isn't balanced somewhere, I'll just have to play until I trigger it, then see where/why it happens and fix it.

EDIT: BTW what were you doing when the assert happened?

This post has been edited by bobbens : 13 April 2009 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE (bobbens @ Apr 12 2009, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NAEV shouldn't be able to cause a reboot,

Userland non-root programs can't cause a reboot, but they can lock it up and make the user reboot. Especially if they don't know about things like Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

Wait, was this Windows? Well, same concept. At least people are liable to know Ctrl-Alt-Del...

Except ctrl-alt-del doesn't work all the time. Sometimes the machine can get locked up so badly that the user is forced to perform a hard-reboot. Nasty stuff.

That's what I mean. It's just on Linux, there are circumstances where Ctrl-Alt-Del (which everyone probably knows) does not work, but Ctrl-Alt-Backspace (restart X) does work. For user programs, restarting X will just end everything, but at least the kernel is kept happy, so you don't get, say, hard drive errors (except on the application level).