message buoys

no joy

I have made a new syst, added a new message string (#21) to STR#1000. I put 21 in the message field in the syst attributes. and there is no message, when I enter the syst. I tried with a new pilot, too.

I've checked the bible, Mission Comp. help. I also looked at other files, such as Nova and Arpia. It seems I've done the same as them. I am truly stumped. :mad:

Any ideas?

Thanks

I just spent 20 minutes trying to replicate this problem but it works every time for me so I'm not sure what it may be. Does it work if you put any of the other string #s in the field instead of 21?

This is strange. I've made a few new systems and msg atrings for them.

For two I made message buoys # 21 & #22. Neither work. The first is a reincarnation of an existing empty system (#21). The second is a new system, linked only by hypergates (#22).

The third is a new system with one regular link. This one works (#23). I tried using higher #s for the other message strings. That doesn't work.

I' m guessing that the original systems message is overriding msg #21.
A message may not show for a hypergate entry (#22)
Msg. 23 works because it is a new, regular, jump-linked system.

Does this make sense?

This problem is not a big deal. I can do without the msgs, but it just makes me a little crazy that I can not figure it out.

This post has been edited by TonyR : 23 August 2009 - 09:47 AM

I think you've stumbled onto an old problem from the sound of it. Because Nova does a lot of system swapping, i.e. multiple incarnations of the system for the terraforming missions, for simplicity's sake (I assume), any systems that share the exact same coordinates will be treated as the same system in several ways. If I remember correctly, this includes system government, legal status, and message buoys among other things. So I would assume that that's what you're running into. You can fix the problem by moving the two systems apart by one unit on either axis; as long as they don't occupy the exact same coordinates, they will be treated as individual systems.

You can fix the problem by moving the two systems apart by one unit on either axis; as long as they don't occupy the exact same coordinates, they will be treated as individual systems.

That did the trick. Good one.

Thanks