Warship, Yay? Nay?

I like the cable dishes, how many channels? :laugh:
oh I meant beta test the finished ship for balance and stuff.
can you do sketchup?

0101181920: That would be much appreciated. Ill get you the .wings ASAP. unless you want another format.

LNSU: I think in 380NC they had pretty tough plastic/glass/transparent aluminum, but because they look good, ARMORED WINDOWS!!!!

Posted Image

Guy: could you please specify a format for the file that you can use?

.wings is fine. My PM system is broken, so you'll have to email it to me using my profile page. I'll try to get it back as soon as possible.

3DMF

@guy, on Sep 1 2008, 05:54 PM, said in Warship, Yay? Nay?:

3DMF

GUY: sorry, I cant export 3DMF. wat are your programs possible import types?

1121381(?): My e-mail is BROKEN!!!! what else?

.qtz

This post has been edited by Guy : 01 September 2008 - 08:23 PM

@mac_dude, on Sep 1 2008, 06:21 PM, said in Warship, Yay? Nay?:

GUY: sorry, I cant export 3DMF. wat are your programs possible import types?

1121381(?): My e-mail is BROKEN!!!! what else?

Ouch, that sucks. Well, best way would be to have one of the other people you send it to get it to me. Probably you should just upload it to something like Mediafire, so it's just a link you pass on.

Guy: my possible exports are .dbo .3ds .fbx .eps .obs .rwx and .rwl What program are you using?

0119412(?) http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=fad07d1...2db6fb9a8902bda

Okay, got it. Thanks. Guess this is sort of a public beta now, huh?

Meh, its not like A government secret.

True. Well, I got the thing softened, mostly (Sketchup doesn't seem to like your model. At all. Also a problem is the fact that it's not on right angles.) It looks pretty good, although there are a couple little weird things, but they won't appear if the image is small enough. Around the size of the IDA Frigate should be fine. However, my converter is acting up and refusing to make it into a .fbx file, so I'll try again tomorrow.

@mac_dude, on Sep 2 2008, 03:57 PM, said in Warship, Yay? Nay?:

Guy: my possible exports are .dbo .3ds .fbx .eps .obs .rwx and .rwl What program are you using?

QuickTime 😄

123141126(?): hmm... actually, I wanted it to be about 1.5 times the size of a fed carrier.

Guy: then im sorry I really cant help you. try downloading wings3d. its free.

I'd blow off the sensor dishes and then start firing my railguns at your windows. It doesn't matter how much armor you put on a window, it's still a point of weakness.

Atomic Rocket said:

Spacecraft have no need of windows or portholes, for much the same reason as a submarine. (No, the Seaview doesn't count. Strictly science fiction. There are no panoramic picture windows on a Trident submarine). Windows represent structural weakness, and there really isn't much to see in any event. Unless the spacecraft is orbiting a planet or docking with another ship, the only thing visible is the depths of space and the eye-searing sun. And unlike submarines, windows on a spacecraft also let in deadly radiation.

Star Trek, Star Wars, and Battlestar Galactica to the contrary, space battles will NOT be fought at a range of a few feet. Directed energy weapons will force ranges such that the enemy ships will only be visible through a telescope. Watching a space battle through a port hole, you will either see nothing because the enemy ships are too far away, or you will see nothing because a reflected laser beam or nuclear explosion has permanently robbed you of your eyesight.

The navigation room might have an astrodome for emergency navigation. But for the most part windows will be omitted in favor of radar, telescopic TV cameras, and similar sensors.

That being said, your turrets look good.

This post has been edited by gray_shirt_ninja : 02 September 2008 - 12:41 PM

There are windows on Polaris ships. the Pirate Carrier has windows. the Rebel IDA Frigate has windows. The Arpian Crachanor has windows. Fed Carriers have windows. Arouran Carriers have windows. The Starship Voyager(armored variant) has windows. Are you saying all of these are weak?

Yes. Yes I am.

This site is awesome.

This post has been edited by gray_shirt_ninja : 02 September 2008 - 03:07 PM

DONT YOU DARE SAY VOYAGER IS WEAK!!!!!!!!!!! And since you say all ships in game are weak, why do you play it?

Just because they wouldn't work well in Real Life™ doesn't mean the game isn't fun.

Exactly. so dont spoil my game. I dont care how many cute dancing cats you have.

UPDATE!! OMG!!!!!!! UVMAPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

Yes, it is broken. here is the .wongs, so 110100232102010(?) can post a picture.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=fad07d1...2db6fb9a8902bda

The texture is also in there.