Turret Hardpoints?

One per turret

I am trying to set up a system where the player must buy a specific outfit in order to gain access to another outfit, specifically, buy a turret hardpoint in order to get access to a turret. I need to figure out how to make the situation such that one must buy one hardpoint in order to buy one turret, and buying a single hardpoint will not allow the player to buy more than one associated turret. I'm not familiar enough with NCBs or Require bits, or whatever method would be most effective, to know how to do this. Any ideas?

One of the outfit types will increase the maximum number of turrets a ship can have.
This sounds almost exactly like what you're asking for.

(EDIT) Outfit Type 46:
Modify Turret Max
Adds or subtracts the Outfit Value to/from the player ship's maximum number of turrets.

To require turret hardpoints for every turret, have an outfit with a Type 46, and a Value 1. This is your Hardpoint Outfit.
Have all ships with a natural turret max of 0 (As it only affects player ships), and give them however many of the Hardpoint Outfit as they have turreted weapons (That will Also only affect the player, when he buys or captures said ships).

If I remember correctly, the player will not be able to sell turret/gun max modifiers if it would reduce the maximum he could have below the number he currently has. So, you shouldn't have to worry about the player selling the Hardpoints once he has the turrets installed.

Gun and Turret hardpoint quantities, and modifyers thereof, are hardcoded into the game engine.
Now, if you were to start asking about Missile hardpoints, things would get dicey...

This post has been edited by Eugene Chin : 23 August 2008 - 11:15 AM

If you were doing a more general solution, you would create an outfit "Unused (turret) mount", which would be Oxxx in Availability of a (turret), Dxxx in OnBuy, and Gxxx in OnSell.
Edit: Logically, you may wish to make the mount unsellable. If you give it mass, you would need to add that mass to the individual (turret) outfits, so that buying a turret would not increase your free mass.

This post has been edited by Nonconventionally Creative : 23 August 2008 - 11:08 AM

Hm... I'm working on this. What I'd like to do is set a type of hardpoint that allows a certain class of turrets (heavy turrets, light turrets, etcetera). If it's not possible, I can manage, but I'd like to pull it off. I think the unused turret mount idea might work alright, so I'll check into that, even though it's not quite the effect I was looking for. It still is close enough that it will most likely fit what I'm looking to do.

Okay, here's what you should do. Note, this is another one of my ideas that I haven't tested, but it should work. It'll only take one resource, plus the turrets. Make your turret hardpoint outfit. Call it something like Spare Turret Hardpoint. Give it a contribute resource, not used in the base game. Now make the turret. Set it to require that contribute flag, remove one of the hardpoints when bought, and add one when sold. That's it. Two resources, no more than usual. Fast, simple, and should work perfectly well. Mind it I use it as well?

To be clear, making the turrets require the hardpoint with Oxxx is simpler and more straightforward than introducing a contribute bit. I support NCC's idea.

However, what I suspect you're after is a way to make "Small Turret Hardpoint" only allow a small turret, but "Medium Turret Hardpoint" can allow either a small or medium turret. And making that work in-game is difficult.

@qaanol, on Aug 24 2008, 10:13 AM, said in Turret Hardpoints?:

However, what I suspect you're after is a way to make "Small Turret Hardpoint" only allow a small turret, but "Medium Turret Hardpoint" can allow either a small or medium turret. And making that work in-game is difficult.

I don't think that's quite what he's asking for:

@crusader-alpha, on Aug 23 2008, 12:56 PM, said in Turret Hardpoints?:

What I'd like to do is set a type of hardpoint that allows a certain class of turrets (heavy turrets, light turrets, etcetera). If it's not possible, I can manage, but I'd like to pull it off.

It'd be a nice, simple system if Light Turrets required a Light Hardpoint, and easier to implement.
It would also make more sense, as there would be size / fit issues with putting light / medium turrets onto a hardpoint designed for heavy turrets.

On the other hand, you would have to decide upon, and signal to the player via dëscs, which turret is which type.

With those assumptions, 0101181920's example can be expanded to multiple turret classes:
For a Light Turret Hardpoint Outfit of RID #xxa, then all of the turret's you classify as "Light Turrets" have:
Availability: Oxxa
OnBuy: Dxxa
OnSell: Gxxa

For a Medium Turret Hardpoint Outfit of RID #xx b , the 'xxb' appears instead of 'xxa' in the above example.
Same for a Heavy Turret Hardpoint Outfit, using a third Outfit RID #xxc.

Yeah, that's my idea. If you want a medium hardpoint to be able to fit a small or a medium turret, that's where it gets tricky.