~ A P O P H I S ~

An HDD-based iPod might not be such a crash-hot idea: they tend to break after 4 or 5 years. A solid-state one would be fine, though.

earlier I believe I mentioned that I wanted to go in a new direction with the ships for this game, and I believe I may have found that direction.

a while ago, I believe I attempted to model one of the ships from the game Galactica A.D. and it turned out looking nothing like the real thing. however, I have learned a lot since than, and I think I am going to make a second attempt.

specifically:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

this is a design I do not often see in sci-fi media. in fact, this game is the only game I have EVER Seen these kind of ships. therefore, I think using this sort of design may lend my plug a little bit of originality.

obviously, I am not going to make them look EXACTLY the same, but I am going to try to follow the same general concept. I also have several ideas how the design could be modified for smaller ships, and landing ships.

however, I am not going to do this unless I why come up with a valid reason why the ships are designed the way they are. in several respects, the designs don't make much sense, so I need a good reason for it. I can think of possibly one or two, but first, I would like to see what you all have to say.

ideas?

This post has been edited by Yoda Almighty : 09 June 2008 - 04:48 PM

Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome?" Because it most certainly does look ridiculously, mind-blowingly sweet.

I believe, however, that you may find a ship of (vaguely) similar design here. ๐Ÿ˜‰

huh. that looks pretty cool. I have never seen that game. :blink: thanks Archon ๐Ÿ™‚

@archon, on Jun 9 2008, 06:50 PM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome?"

awesome. can I quote you on that?

@yamfries, on Jun 9 2008, 11:40 PM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

huh. that looks pretty cool. I have never seen that game. :blink: thanks Archon ๐Ÿ™‚
awesome. can I quote you on that?

Certainly!

It surprises me that you'd never heard of Ares. It's another great one; even more dated than Nova (by quite a bit, actually), but it's very fun. Takes a little bit of the dogfighting goodness out of Nova and adds some of the strategic flare of Starcraft. And it has an awesome soundtrack. :laugh:

sig ๐Ÿ™‚
l
l
l
V

nice sig.

@of-doom, on Jun 10 2008, 09:33 AM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

nice sig.

thank you for that incredibly insightful comment of doom!

It's a bit long for my tastes. You want to truncate it a bit, please, Yoda Almighty?

Hey! It's perfect as is! ๐Ÿ˜‰

hey, I still need ideas!

For how that design of ship could be feasible? Hmm, that could be tricky. Well, you could say that having engines mounted so far away from the center of mass would allow for huge angular momentum if I'm remembering my high-school physics terms correctly. That would give it a great turn speed compared to other ships of its size. I don't know what type of ship it's supposed to be, but if it's a passenger ship, the ring section could rotate, creating artificial gravity via centripetal force รก la Aurora Cruiser. I'm sure there are some other good ones too, but I'm too tired to think of any right now.

Oh, maybe hyperspace works by creating some sort of space rift, and larger ships travel more slowly because creating too much "rift" is damaging to the hull/crew/passengers, but having them further away like that allows for 1-day hyperspace jumps.

Hmm, yeah a ship that looks like that is probably built around a specific purpose. If your setting doesn't have artificial gravity, it could be a colony ship or a luxury cruise ship with standard-g accommodations for the comfort of the passengers. Even if there was artificial gravity it could be an ancient colony ship or an old stately luxury liner that has a reputation for the best service for the last few centuries.

Or in one of those pictures it looks like it's a massive antennae array or something, maybe it could have a purpose to do with scanning or communication, or like Archon said, a special hypergate or super-long distance jump drive ship.

I seem to recall that Sephil Saga also has a ship with a design in that vein. Basically, go ahead. Why not make one like it?

Edit: here we go.

This post has been edited by Pace : 12 June 2008 - 04:55 AM

huh, those ships are pretty cool, Pace

I did some thinking, and I came up with a design for a smaller fighter, and how it would be able to land on a planet. (I am going to say the larger ships don't land, just go into orbit.) thew fighter's ring can rotate from a vertical position, to a horizontal one. (I will make some sketches later, and try and post them here.)

unfortunately, the design I came up with only works if the ring works as a forward propulsion. (I believe that is what Galactica AD said it was) so I was thinking, maybe it can be both forward propulsion, and the hyperdrive?

@archon, on Jun 11 2008, 03:57 PM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

For how that design of ship could be feasible? Hmm, that could be tricky. Well, you could say that having engines mounted so far away from the center of mass would allow for huge angular momentum if I'm remembering my high-school physics terms correctly. That would give it a great turn speed compared to other ships of its size. I don't know what type of ship it's supposed to be, but if it's a passenger ship, the ring section could rotate, creating artificial gravity via centripetal force รก la Aurora Cruiser. I'm sure there are some other good ones too, but I'm too tired to think of any right now.

Oh, maybe hyperspace works by creating some sort of space rift, and larger ships travel more slowly because creating too much "rift" is damaging to the hull/crew/passengers, but having them further away like that allows for 1-day hyperspace jumps.

@yamfries, on Jun 12 2008, 04:41 AM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

unfortunately, the design I came up with only works if the ring works as a forward propulsion. (I believe that is what Galactica AD said it was) so I was thinking, maybe it can be both forward propulsion, and the hyperdrive?

What, the ring? It'd make a lot of sense for it to do that. However, I believe the entire ring will slow down the ship a whole lot, and it's exposed to gunfire, so it will have to be slow. Since I also said weapons can heavily damage it, I'd also say you shold give it a lot of shield power.

@king_of_manticores, on Jun 12 2008, 04:56 PM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

What, the ring? It'd make a lot of sense for it to do that. However, I believe the entire ring will slow down the ship a whole lot, and it's exposed to gunfire, so it will have to be slow. Since I also said weapons can heavily damage it, I'd also say you shold give it a lot of shield power.

well keep in mind there is no air friction in space. thew ship is going to have a low acceleration, cause it takes a while to get all of that moving, but once it IS moving, it will be able to get up to quite a high speed.

yes, the ship is going to have high shield power, as it is the most vulnerable part of the ship, but the ring also offers a handy place to mount weapons...

and the 3 ships shown are going to be the main type of warship,and also the largest ship available to the Last Strain.

random update: well, I am getting a new computer, a refurbished iBook G4. it should be arriving any day now. (quite possibly today :)) also, tomorrow, I am going to a friends house, who has blender on his computer.

things are looking up. ๐Ÿ™‚

@yamfries, on Jun 13 2008, 01:33 PM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

random update: well, I am getting a new computer, a refurbished iBook G4. it should be arriving any day now. (quite possibly today ๐Ÿ™‚ ) also, tomorrow, I am going to a friends house, who has blender on his computer.

things are looking up. ๐Ÿ™‚

They certainly sound like they are, Yoda. ๐Ÿ™‚ However, if you're going to use Blender on your iBook, my suggestion is to get a USB mouse. It will make drawing much, much easier.

@king_of_manticores, on Jun 14 2008, 01:16 AM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

They certainly sound like they are, Yoda. ๐Ÿ™‚ However, if you're going to use Blender on your iBook, my suggestion is to get a USB mouse. It will make drawing much, much easier.

don't worry. I still have my 3 button wacom tablet mouse, and my dad says I can even use my old screen off of the computer. (my really big old screen ;))