~ A P O P H I S ~

Just wanted to say that it looks sweet and to encourage you to keep up the good work. I have high respect for people that finish their work!

I loved the story on your site. I'll check it once in a while but I got to do a term paper now, bye 😊

good luck with that. 😉

I regret to inform you that my computer is having some problems, and I can't do anything until it is repaired.

@yamfries, on May 2 2008, 08:22 AM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

I regret to inform you that my computer is having some problems, and I can't do anything until it is repaired.

😞 Hopefully it's not a virus... those things are bad, bad, bad.

Of course, that's what old pen and paper is for, Yoda! 😄

@king_of_manticores, on May 3 2008, 01:00 AM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

😞 Hopefully it's not a virus... those things are bad, bad, bad.

Of course, that's what old pen and paper is for, Yoda! 😄

indeed :laugh:

also, Mac computer's cannot get viruses. the way the system is designed does not let any foreign code onto the machine. (If I am wrong about this, let me know.)

also, I am starting drivers ED for the next 2 weeks. (from after school till 8:00 :blink: )

Well, technically you can get a virus, but Apple closes its leaks more rapidly than they are found. So, only if you're really unlucky you'll get one.

EDIT: Actually I was talking about... Windows... Yes. Windows. I hope.

This post has been edited by Timmytiptoe : 04 May 2008 - 12:09 AM

ok. thanks for clarifying. 🆒

wait, I won't get a virus if I am unlucky? :unsure:

I think perhaps you meant "you won't get one unless you are really unlucky" 😉

@yamfries, on May 3 2008, 07:33 AM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

I think perhaps you meant "you won't get one unless you are really unlucky" 😉

Yep, your statement is correct. Unless, of course, what you're downloading doesn't come with a virus scan, which by then it means that the website it's coming from is lazy.

It would also be great to give a percentage of how far you are with the TC.

I've been doing some thinking, the result of which is a naming system for ships in the las strain:

all ship names will include a series letter and number, a use designation, a 9 digit ID code, and an indication of whether it is a gov't controlled ship, a civilian ship, etc.

example: Series E-12 mass transit: ID/142-756-ZRS (CIV)

the letter dictates what ship series that is. a series A-1 MT is the shuttle you start out with. B-1 MT is a completely differant ship design. the numbering system continues up till E, with each consecutive number slightly larger and more powerfull tha the last. (but they are used for the same thing: hauling cargo.)

the number dictates what version of that series. A-1 is the base ship, while an A-2 is the same design, but with a few modifications that make the ship better.

the use designation (mass Transit) is simply to state what the ship is used for. if the ship is a battle ship, than it would change to "battleship" (AKA: Series C-9 Battlecruiser: ID/443-979-RGB-1 (GOV) (the extra number on the GOV ships indicates it's security access level. currentley 1-5)

also, a special thing about the ID's: if a ship does not have an ID, it is considered a pirate, or other enemy. when you hail a ship, that ships ID will appear in the hail dialouygue, if there is no ID, than that ship is a pirate, or illegal person. you may attack them, and get rewarded by the gov't. also, ships can have FORGED ID's!!!! if you hail a ship, here is a tip to checking to see if it's ID is forged: the first colomn always must have 3 numbers, that are not above 5. (can have 5 and down) and second colomn must have 3 numbers that are not below 5 (can have 5 and above) the 3rd colomn must always be ALL letters. (any letter)

so if an ID:

has more or less than 3 numbers in any column,
a number above 5 in the first column,
a number below 5 in the second column,
a number in the 3rd column,

than it is forged. you can attack them, also.
(this sytem was in place before the war, when piracy was a big problem. after, the LS did have time to change it. but there are still piraces roaming old earth space. if you meet one, even one that appears frendly, than they are a pirate.)

also, during text scens, if a man approaches you, he will usually show you his ID card. you will be able to tell if it is forged, and choose yes or no appropriately.

Nift, I like your approach on this naming system and making it into part of the game. It is a clever way to add to the gaming experience and to name some of your ships in ways that make sense. Good going!

Granted, it is a pretty painful idea, but it does work. You should have to put those ships with the Inherent AI for pirates. But it's a pretty good idea, though.

Would it be possible to make the naming system easier to ID pirates if the player needs to learn it? Seems a bit complex right now.

@lnsu, on May 7 2008, 08:44 PM, said in ~ A P O P H I S ~:

Would it be possible to make the naming system easier to ID pirates if the player needs to learn it? Seems a bit complex right now.

thats the point. I want this to have some difficulty in more areas than shooting things. there are going to be circumstances that test your morality, there will br places where you have to judge who is in the wrong, and places where you really have to THINK about what5 you are doing. and it WON'T be easy. :blink:;)

but not insanely so. I want it to be hard, not impossible 😉

Clap clap clap

I just wanted to ask how often you update your site and check forums.

This is because I want to know whether to post questions and comments here or in the forums which you made specifically for this on your site. Also, I'm your first poster! :ninja:

great news! I found the tech tool pro CD, So hopefully, I will be able to fix my computer by tomorrow!

and when I fix my computer, that is when I will update the site. however, anyone feel free to post there whenever you want. I try to check it whenever I get a chance.

today, during school, I am going to start coming up with ship names that implement the new ID system.

forget what I said about my computer being fixed. <_< the tech tool pro was a DVD, and my computer does not have a DVD drive. :mad:

sigh

What's gotten into your computer? It seems like it's going to take weeks to fix it.

I don't know. I really just need some sort of boot CD with some repair applications on it, and we can't find any. <_<

Mac Genius to the rescue! Pacifist Is what you need! It can extract and read Mac OS X Installer Packages, and display them in a completely organized format for you to mill through. You can scan packages against your hard drive to know exactly what needs to be replaced, and replace only what needs it. A lot faster than a complete reinstall, and a far better option, IMO. You want it. I used it to fix my system after I corrupted root framework files doing something stupid. Although it is shareware, you can use its full features without limit, although you have to wait 20 seconds after launching the application to click away the shareware notice.

actually, the boot CD will come in more handy. (I can't even start my computer to the desktop to install any applications)