PICT Sizes

I have a little bit of extra free time over the next couple of days so I decided to scale all of the Nova ships to a somewhat more fitting scale. Mind you I have been using the Glowing Edges effect on them in Photoshop so they aren't all blurry. Now when in Photoshop I can't export images over 1000x1000 pixels despite having been able to import them on my clipboard. Now that isn't too much of a problem because I can just save them as a picture resource and then open that with MC. So, so far I have been doing fine and have a whole bunch of ships that are quite large but now I seem to have run into a snag...
I am trying to do the Thunderforge glow, this image is 4160x4160 pixels and when I try to save it it says that the image is to wide for a PICT resource file.
Anyone know any way I can handle this situation?

You're resizing every single ship in EV: Nova?

:blink:

Good luck to you, sir. Any screenies while you're at it? 😄

I'm not entirely familiar with Photoshop, so what exactly is exporting as opposed to just saving? If you can save as a PICT, why can't you save as something else like png?

Not every single one but most of them.

When I am talking about exporting I am just talking about copying and pasting. However that doesn't work if the image is too large. So when the image is that large I just save it as a PICT file cause that is the only file type that MC can open. However I don't seem to be able to save images larger than 4000 pixels across which sucks because I would like to make some of the carriers and such a little bigger. I am now not quite sure what to do.

@sp3cies, on May 10 2008, 02:52 PM, said in PICT Sizes:

I just save it as a PICT file cause that is the only file type that MC can open.

Version 4.0 (available from this web board) can import PNG, TIFF, and other formats.

If they're too large to fit in a PICT, then you'll need to use RLE sprites, but of course you should be doing so anyway. From a quick glance at my code, it looks like RLEs can have dimensions up to 65535x65535, though I wouldn't advise trying that.

Oh ######, how do I miss such obvious things... Never noticed the "import from file..." button. I was doing something quite different. Anyways thank you it works now! Sweetness!

Attached File(s)

That is absolutely spectacular! If you ever release this, I am so playing this. Look at the little shuttle!

Have you tested if this is compatible with other plugs? If not, I'd suggest you got right on it!

It'd definitely be a cool way to play the game.

The only thing I'm changing so far is the graphics so it's not really adding any new resources... The only thing would be that it would not be consistent with the other plugs graphically... But if you really think more people would like it I can see about sending it to the Addons page.

Its more to scale. I love it.

But it will probably kill my computer.

You know that there is already a plug-in called Small Fighters and Weapons right? That's what I have been playing with since I got Nova... I just decided I wanted the big ships bigger after playing Facelift hence this little project.

@sp3cies, on May 12 2008, 08:11 PM, said in PICT Sizes:

You know that there is already a plug-in called Small Fighters and Weapons right?

No, I did not. Thank you.

if this comes out i am going to blow up fed carriers in a shuttle. :laugh:

DA: While the theoretical limit based on the width and height headers is indeed 65535, the limit on the size of a single resource would never provide for even a single-frame RLE with no visible pixels at that size.

This post has been edited by orcaloverbri9 : 24 May 2008 - 11:46 AM

Yes, but it includes the whole ship turning.