SpacePort: Episode 8

The return of...SpacePort? Or maybe it strikes back...

That's right folks, SpacePort version 1.2 beta 8 is here!

Well, okay, here.

Everything that can be fixed should be, but I'm sure there's something missing. Expect another update approximately six years from the time Guy posts.

i tryed to download it but it says url requested not found
nvm
it works now

This post has been edited by of doom : 05 April 2008 - 12:30 PM

It should probably be mentioned that spaceport is mac only and is an application for converting EVC and EVO plug ins into EVN compatible ones.

i converted the "award winning star wars plugin by kris hauser" and it converted fine

This post has been edited by of doom : 05 April 2008 - 12:54 PM

I'm on a PC and it's not working. It needs another update to make it work. And it must be within two weeks or else I'll be home on my Mac and it won't matter anymore.
😛

Seriously though, many thanks for getting this out at last 😉 I'll be sure to test it when I get back.

This post has been edited by Guy : 05 April 2008 - 04:20 PM

I forget. Does this program convert old plug-ins from previous games to be used in the EV: Nova universe? or are the converted plug-ins meant to be used in the conversion for the universe of the original use? Is that second part clear enough?

@jean-luc-picard, on Apr 5 2008, 06:07 PM, said in SpacePort: Episode 8:

I forget. Does this program convert old plug-ins from previous games to be used in the EV: Nova universe? or are the converted plug-ins meant to be used in the conversion for the universe of the original use? Is that second part clear enough?

The second is correct. It converts old plug-ins for use in the EV: Nova TC of either Override of Classic.

@orcaloverbri9, on Apr 6 2008, 04:20 AM, said in SpacePort: Episode 8:

The return of...SpacePort? Or maybe it strikes back...

Episode VIII: Send in the Clones. Ooh, I've got it - Episode VIII: A New Version. 😄

@phoenixfire, on Apr 6 2008, 09:48 AM, said in SpacePort: Episode 8:

The second is correct. It converts old plug-ins for use in the EV: Nova TC of either Override of Classic.

To be more exact, it converts EVC and EVO plugins to be used with the EVN engine - whether or not the EVC or EVO ports need to be used with the plugin depends entirely on the plugin itself. If you're converting a TC in its own right, you don't need to use the respective port.

@guy, on Apr 5 2008, 05:17 PM, said in SpacePort: Episode 8:

I'm on a PC and it's not working. It needs another update to make it work. And it must be within two weeks or else I'll be home on my Mac and it won't matter anymore.
😛

Seriously though, many thanks for getting this out at last 😉 I'll be sure to test it when I get back.

Well, the clock is ticking. April 5, 2014, at 9:17 GMT. Hold your breaths.

Hmmm. Well just for jollies I tried porting a plug for EVC and nothing happened. I mean it produced a plug but when IO added it to the folder it did not affect the game. I put the same plug (Empire, in this case) through your previous spaceport beta (7), and it worked fine. Problem?

The problem here is that b8 has broken the file type/creator codes. One way to fix this is to convert it to .rez and back again.
The only other issue remaining in b8 that's worth mentioning is it doesn't multiply GuidedTurn by the speed factor for EV plugs, so you'll need to do this yourself afterwards. Other than that, b8 is Pretty Good™.

Btw orca, have you considered EnRLEing sprites on conversion?

This post has been edited by Guy : 19 April 2008 - 11:08 PM

@guy, on Apr 20 2008, 12:06 AM, said in SpacePort: Episode 8:

Btw orca, have you considered EnRLEing sprites on conversion?

As I recall, you recommended not doing this.

Hm, I probably did but I forget the reasons :rolleyes:. Don't suppose you remember them? Perhaps an option to do so would be acceptable? (rleDs only)

@phoenixfire, on Apr 7 2008, 05:35 PM, said in SpacePort: Episode 8:

Hmmm. Well just for jollies I tried porting a plug for EVC and nothing happened. I mean it produced a plug but when IO added it to the folder it did not affect the game. I put the same plug (Empire, in this case) through your previous spaceport beta (7), and it worked fine. Problem?

Same thing happened to me here. Tried converting a few EVO plugs to enjoy the old magic. They converted just fine, but when I put them in the plugs folder and started Nova, nothing was different. Unfortunately, all I could find was Spaceport B8, so I can't even try with an older version.

Please help 😞

You need to use guy's evo for nova (you can get it here: http://nevermore.uriptical.com/ev/)
Follow the installation instructions included, and then put the spaceport-ed plugs in the plugins folder and try.

See my post above about type/creator codes. With the latest MC4 alpha you can open the file, get info on it and set the type to Nova Plug-in.