Computer Ships n' Outfits

Quick question. Now I know that the computer doesn't use some of the outfits you give it. Is armor one of those?

i think it will automatically use armor because it actually modifies the ships stats.

It doesn't. I think it uses the asteroid scoop, cloaking device, and one or two other things.

Jamming I think is the main other thing.

@keldor-sarn, on May 9 2008, 08:37 PM, said in Computer Ships n' Outfits:

Jamming I think is the main other thing.

Actually, jamming outfits don't have any effect on AI ships in my experience; that's handled under the gövt resource.

Here's a (compiled by Guy in the member-run FAQ) of outfits that the AI recognizes:

Cloaking device
Cloak scanner (Requires "reveal cloaked ships on the screen" - other flags have no effect. Can only spot cloaked ships if they are nearby.)
Mining scoop
Jamming* (see above)
Fast jumping
Repair system

I could be wrong about jamming though.

This post has been edited by Archon : 09 May 2008 - 04:36 PM

s###e, I forgot to look there. Oh well, thanks anyways.

you mean the AI's dont use armor outfits?

This post has been edited by of doom : 10 May 2008 - 08:25 AM

@of-doom, on May 10 2008, 01:25 PM, said in Computer Ships n' Outfits:

you mean the AI's dont use armor outfits?

That's correct. What you can do to make some AI ship variants sport heavier armor without giving the player a huge armor boost if they capture it (by buying the upgrades that are included in the variant's stats) is this:

Say the ship in question has 200 base armor. You want it to have upgrades that give it 100 more armor. Make the base armor of the variant 300, give it the outfits that grant it the extra 100 armor, and then grant it an invisible, un-sellable outfit with -100 armor. The AI will have 300 armor total, the player will have 300 armor total if they capture it, and they won't be able to buy the extra armor that would bring them above where they should be able to get with outfits.