Trainer Type Plug?

To circumvent engine limits

Please note, if this is illegal please say so, because I don't know whether it is or not.

I was wondering, after reading the "Cool Hacks" section, since some things just can't be done because of engine limits, what if we supplement conventional Nova resource mumbo-jumbo with (gasp!) trainer-type programs? For example: with Time Travel we could have a program that detects if a mission bit has been activated, and manually reverse time using the trainer. Or a simpler ship hangar that uses a minimum of crons and bits and missions and other things, and is compatible with most plug-ins. And many other things. The possibilities are endless.

Again, if this is illegal, please tell me, I will understand.

What's a "trainer" program?

You mean a separate application that tinkers with the nova program while it's in active memory?

Probably something like a debugger. It can do that. Its just complicated to do, and probably not worth the work involved.

I think Claimh may mean something that reads and modifies the pilot file (ala character trainer programs for RPGs).

You mean a separate application that tinkers with the nova program while it's in active memory?

Wikipedia Trainer Article

Right. Trainer programs modify the program's memory while it it is loaded. Although, most trainers do not tinker with the program code itself - most modify only the program's variables. For example, you can read a ship's current armor or shield value from memory, and modify it. It's like a cheat, but one can use it to circumvent certain engine limitations. Also, if you know enough assembly language you can even create your own functions and insert them somewhere in the game's code (I don't know if this violates anything). The good thing is, you don't have to edit the program itself, as all "editing" is done in memory.

It would be an incredible amount of work to do this. It would also be illegal to publish it, as it could be used to circumvent the registration requirement.

But if you don't include registration-circumvention functions, can it still be used? The trainer would only modify variables such as money, mission bits, armor/shield, and outfits.

Modifying mission bits and outfits can be used to circumvent registration restrictions. Modifying money and shield/armour is the same as using a cheat plugin, which can only be used while registered, so in a sense, that's circumventing the registration restrictions too. So no - quite illegal.

The only way I can think of to get this to be allowed, is to go to Ambrosia once you have completed it. You would have to have a registration clause, as it were. You would have to have it, where before use, one would be required to enter their EV: Nova Registration information. But Ambrosia won't give you this. You would need access to their database, and I don't need personal experience to know, that they won't let you do anything like that. Not unless you release all rights to your program to Ambrosia, allowing them to control it's distribution, and you might have to sign a contract, stating that you won't release the program to anyone else, or else legal actions would be pressed. I do not work for Ambrosia, but this type of thing has come up before, as in, troubles with circumventing registration restrictions.

Belthazar: If I'm not mistaken, aren't the data files encrypted before registration? So, you wouldn't be able to modify mission bits and outfits anyways, correct?

You can change the Nova Files to your heart's content prior to registration. However, Nova won't start with altered data files.

Well, you get the same result. You can't start Nova with changes, until you have registered.

And, would your program alter Nova files, or would it be altering pilot files?

It doesn't alter the data files or pilot files. It modifies Nova while it's in memory. It doesn't actually change the files, just what the computer does/how it interprets the files.

Oh well. Back to conventional plug development, I guess...

You may find this interesting.