Meximum Resource Number

Why outfits don't appear at numbers > 630 or sumthin

I was wondering why my custom outfits didn't appear when they are assigned resource numbers of about 640 and above (I don't know the actual number). When I tried a lower number, they worked as expected. Same problem for weapons. I wonder - is there an upper limit for resource id numbers?

Also... how to fire two different secondary weapons simultaneously? I was thinking of a normal light yellow beam encased inside a much larger orange beam, to duplicate Gundam Seed's GENESIS weapon's effect...

1. There is an upper limit, but I didn't think that it was 640.

2. You can't fire two secondaries at the same time, unfortunately. You can, however, make a single beam that has a light-yellow center and an orange corona.

@crusader-alpha, on Mar 10 2008, 12:18 AM, said in Meximum Resource Number:

2. You can't fire two secondaries at the same time, unfortunately. You can, however, make a single beam that has a light-yellow center and an orange corona.

Too bad. Oh well, single giant lightning beam it is, then.

Also, I have another question - how do you make shans like that of the Asteroid Miner, which unfolds when firing the mining laser? I tried the "Unfold when firing" option in EVNEW when I added my weapons sprite. It didn't work.

You may want to consider that, while Regular Beam weapons (The straight-line type) can have a corona, Lightning Beam weapons (The zig-zagging type) cannot.

As for Unfolding to fire:
Do you already have a set of sprites with each frame of unfolding animation, with the first set being the "Open" position, and the last being "Closed"?

Something to keep in mind with "Unfolds to Fire": It will force the ship to unfold to fire Any weapons.
Say, you have your ship decked out with both 'Lohengrin' super-beam weapons inside the ship, and... say... 'Valiant' and 'Gottfried' turreted guns in various positions on your ship

If you have your ship set to "Unfolds to fire," it will force the ship to unfold to fire Any of its weapons...
... This includes the turrets too.

This post has been edited by Eugene Chin : 09 March 2008 - 10:53 AM

512 is maximum number of outfits.

So, 128 (RID) + 512= 640.

Yep, that's right, I remember now.

I wrote my previous post several minutes after I had woken up, and I forgot that the maximum ID number corresponds in several resource types with the maximum number of that resource, instead of just allowing a maximum number with no actual limit on resource IDs. I think Desprez had to renumber some stuff in PaperTC because of that, although I don't think it was outfits.

@crusader-alpha, on Mar 9 2008, 04:12 PM, said in Meximum Resource Number:

I forgot that the maximum ID number corresponds in several resource types with the maximum number of that resource, instead of just allowing a maximum number with no actual limit on resource IDs.

I think , and don't quote me on this, that that's the case with all the EV:N resources because of the way that it loads them into memory. Or something.

It would make loading times somewhat shorter if the game just looked for all resource IDs between 128 and 640 and loaded whichever ones it found than it would take if the game counted up from 128 to infinity, only stopping when it had loaded 512 resources. That's what they call a While loop with no exit condition, and would cause your system to hang if there weren't 512 resources to load. Methinks option A is far superior, even if it makes the odd plugin maker confused that their 4w350m3 1337 0ü7f with ID 6969 just plain won't load.

@ephialtes, on Mar 9 2008, 03:39 PM, said in Meximum Resource Number:

512 is maximum number of outfits.

So, 128 (RID) + 512= 640.

#128 + 512 #s = 513 resources

128 + 512 - 1 = 639 as max resource number

@eugene-chin, on Mar 9 2008, 09:36 AM, said in Meximum Resource Number:

snip

It also pauses firing frames (the ones on the Fed Destroyer).

@desprez, on Mar 9 2008, 10:19 PM, said in Meximum Resource Number:

#128 + 512 #s = 513 resources

128 + 512 - 1 = 639 as max resource number

It was a quick count, I wasn't doing the maths more than to show why 640 is around where it breaks 😛

@eugene-chin, on Mar 9 2008, 10:36 AM, said in Meximum Resource Number:

If you have your ship set to "Unfolds to fire," it will force the ship to unfold to fire Any of its weapons...

This is mostly true, though not completely. Point-Defense weapons can fire without the arms opening. Those are the only weapons that can do this.7

@eugene-chin, on Mar 10 2008, 01:36 AM, said in Meximum Resource Number:

You may want to consider that, while Regular Beam weapons (The straight-line type) can have a corona, Lightning Beam weapons (The zig-zagging type) cannot.
As for Unfolding to fire:
Do you already have a set of sprites with each frame of unfolding animation, with the first set being the "Open" position, and the last being "Closed"?
Something to keep in mind with "Unfolds to Fire": It will force the ship to unfold to fire Any weapons.
Say, you have your ship decked out with both 'Lohengrin' super-beam weapons inside the ship, and... say... 'Valiant' and 'Gottfried' turreted guns in various positions on your ship

Yes, I have a set of sprites but too bad, i'm not going to use them anymore, because of the force-unfold thing. Thanks anyway!

So, 640 is the max number eh? This changes everything! I was wonderng why my other homemade plug, which allows you to get skills when you increase your combat rating, doesn't work.

639 is the maximum ID number for resources which have a maximum of 512 resources. It's different for other resource types.

Check the Resource ID Guide from the link in my sig for a complete list 🙂

This post has been edited by Guy : 20 October 2009 - 04:23 AM

Thanks, Guy!

@belthazar, on Mar 9 2008, 04:04 PM, said in Meximum Resource Number:

It would make loading times somewhat shorter if the game just looked for all resource IDs between 128 and 640 and loaded whichever ones it found than it would take if the game counted up from 128 to infinity, only stopping when it had loaded 512 resources. That's what they call a While loop with no exit condition, and would cause your system to hang if there weren't 512 resources to load. Methinks option A is far superior, even if it makes the odd plugin maker confused that their 4w350m3 1337 0ü7f with ID 6969 just plain won't load.

Actually, to be fair, it's entirely possible to check if there aren't 512 resources before loading, preventing the hang; doing this is really fairly trivial, and actually, from what I know about resource programming, unless Matt is doing it in a particularly inefficient way, would probably be easier. The problem is not grabbing the first 512; the problem is that in doing so, there is no guarantee it will be the first 512; as a matter of fact, it probably wouldn't be. You see, only a fool would count from 128 up; the best way to load resources is to get the number and reference them by index, then get the ID number from that index. What the game (presumably) does is loop through all of them and check their ID number. If you wanted the 512 with the lowest IDs, it would need to make an array of them and then sort it...and then get the first 512. That's where the performance hit (and the annoyance factor) comes about.