My Ship is Invincible!

Because people won't attack it...

My new Lohengrin class Federation Battle Carrier (pic coming soon-I forgot to bring it with me) is a real beauty, with very large weapon space an ample armor and shields. It handles like an Auroran Carrier, but with added firepower in the form of the very destructive Ronginus' Spear. I had flown it throughout the Fed campaign without any problems. And that, my friends, is the problem.

See, no ship would dare attack it. Or, specifically speaking, they only use missile-type weapons on it. No guns, turrets, anything. Even the Raven refuses to fire its deadly CPL on it for fear of scratching its white-and-blue hull. No, the Untargetable flag is off, threat level is 750 and everything else seems to be in good working order. I already dominated Moash space, and no one has yet scratched my armor. Those six carriers could trash my hull any second, and they haven't done anything except send their itty bitty fighters which do all the work of scratching at my shield with their chainguns and sit on the receiving end of 8 railguns and a massive directed thermonuclear beam cannon, without firing their deck guns. Help!

Never mind, problem fixed. I get destroyed LOTS of times now.

For future reference, what was the problem?

This may be useful for Qaanol's problem about preventing the AI from attacking the player, even when fired upon.

I was thinking what LNSU said. Two topics come up at around the same time, one with an intended effect, the other with that same effect but with the intention of fixing it.

I'm curious too, by the way.

The problem is that I was stupid 😞 The Untargetable flag was actually on, due to a mistake in organizing my files. I usually back up my plugs before editing, and once I edited the Lohengrin to be untargetable, for testing. Problem is, I deleted the backup instead of the modified plug. After I discovered the problem, I felt like smashing my head into something hard. Stupid me 🙂 .

Oh, and by the way, I just uploaded the Lohengrin Battle Carrier plug to the EVN addons section. It should show up soon enough, if you want to check it out. It has custom graphics, modelled and rendered in the style of Gundam Seed. Tell me what you think - I think it may just be too overpowered.

Here's a pic:

Lohengrin

Have fun!

This post has been edited by Claimh Solais : 11 March 2008 - 07:59 AM

wait, so setting the "untargetable" flag on a shďp resource prevents the AI from firing at it? This could be very useful.

@lnsu, on Mar 12 2008, 01:42 AM, said in My Ship is Invincible!:

wait, so setting the "untargetable" flag on a shďp resource prevents the AI from firing at it? This could be very useful.

I think he's talking about the "planet-type ship" flag.

Maybe. That would work two. Of course it would require giving the player a special ship for that mission, and probably financial compensation to buy a new normal ship afterwords.

@lnsu, on Mar 12 2008, 01:55 AM, said in My Ship is Invincible!:

Maybe. That would work two. Of course it would require giving the player a special ship for that mission, and probably financial compensation to buy a new normal ship afterwords.

Not really. You grant the new ship while retaining all your previous outfits, then grant back the old one. It'd look seamless to the player.

Only if you could check which ship the player already had. There might be a way to do that already; I'm not as code-savvy as you two.

I'll test both flags, shall I?

Edit: no effect with untargetable flag set (that I can see; they still use primary weapons, anyway, I only tested for a couple of seconds), and enemies can't hit me with planet-type ship set, but still attack me. I only tested for a few minutes though.

This post has been edited by Crusader Alpha : 12 March 2008 - 12:04 AM

The Untargetable flag only works on weapons that must be targeted to fire.

So the question becomes: why did your enemies use missile-type weapons on your ship but not non-target type weapons such as the CPL?

Because I only fought with Feds and Aurorans, so no CPLs :laugh:
Also, the missile-type weaps are rockets.