OS 9 to OS X

Troubles with plugs

So the other day my old iMac died and along with it went my OS 9 system. Now I am pretty annoyed cause I had lots of stuff on there that was lost but a large number of graphics that I had edited for Nova were on one of my many memory sticks. So I thought wonderful I can still get some stuff back. However when I put the memory stick into my laptop all the plugs inside register as 0kb and have a black icon that says exec in green letters at the top instead of the Nova Plug-ins icon. There is also a new folder that says RESOURCE.FRK with abbreviated versions of the plugs in it that have the right file size.
None of it will open with MC. Is it all lost or is there some way to fix this?

OS 9 files contain two parts, a data fork and a resource fork. All the EV's used entirely the resource fork for their scenario data. Windows has never supported resource forks, and Apple discourage people from using them anymore under OS X. The problem you're seeing (files being split into two parts, an empty data fork and a separate resource fork) is possibly due to you using a PC formatted memory stick. I honestly can't recommend how you fix this specific problem, but take a look at stuff about resource forks under OS X and maybe you'll find something. Hope this was vaguely helpful, maybe someone else knows this specific problem better. 😉

Interesting, I would have expected OS X to read that properly. What version of OS X is it? Do you have access to OS 9 at all?
Copy the files in RESOURCE.FRK to your hard drive and try running them through this app. If all else fails, post one of the files here.

This post has been edited by Guy : 21 February 2008 - 03:31 PM

Currently running on OS 10.4.11 and I have no access to OS 9. The application won't download. I will try again later.

10.4? If you're not on an Intel Mac you could grab your install disks and install the classic environment.

Trust me I've tried. I don't seem to have the right ones though.

Hm, never mind the ToggleFork then, I suspect it wouldn't have worked. Just post one of the files and I'll take a look at it.

Terminal?

cat RESOURCE.FRK-whatever > whatever/rsrc

whatever/..namedfork/rsrc, to be precise, but it may not just be a resource fork dump - the finder info and stuff have to be stored somewhere too.

Hmm, the main one at the moment is a small plug with some(I believe yours) graphics recolored. Where should I post/upload the files? One is a little over 500kb the other is 0kb.

@guy, on Feb 25 2008, 02:23 AM, said in OS 9 to OS X:

whatever/..namedfork/rsrc, to be precise, but it may not just be a resource fork dump - the finder info and stuff have to be stored somewhere too.

?

Appending /rsrc to a file name works just fine.

Also, the Finder info and such are stored separately from both forks. It's unlikely that such information would be contained in a file so blatantly labeled as a resource fork.

Huh, didn't realise /rsrc worked. And you're right about the blatant name but having never seen data stored like this I'm not making any assumptions 😉

Just realised: if it is just the resource fork then it should open fine in Rezilla at which point you can Save As and select resource fork.

...well where's the fun in that?