Now Hiring

for the Food Stuff plug-in

Obviously, I'm making a plug-in where you can buy and use food stuff. Here are some unpaid roles I may need for the job, if anyone's interested.

Graphics
Spďn resources
Applying the Spďn resource
Engine Glow specific to certain ships
Possible RlëDs

If anyone's interested, please reply and I will contact you informing you what to do. You will be mentioned in the plug-in description, unless requested otherwise.

This post has been edited by Captain Zaphod Beeblebrox : 26 February 2008 - 12:30 AM

@captain-zaphod-beeblebrox, on Feb 25 2008, 09:27 PM, said in Now Hiring:

(how do you get the double dot on the i?)
(how do you get the double dot on the e?)

Type u while holding down option, then type the letter you wish to place the umlauts over.

Oh, that's cool! Thanks!

EDIT: Going back to the original post, the least I need is the Spďn resource, as I don't know how to create my own. Any help could, well, help, but I don't have any Graphics-creating software. What could I use, or who can do it?

This post has been edited by Captain Zaphod Beeblebrox : 26 February 2008 - 12:34 AM

@captain-zaphod-beeblebrox, on Feb 26 2008, 12:29 AM, said in Now Hiring:

Going back to the original post, the least I need is the Spďn resource, as I don't know how to create my own.

spďn is one of the easiest resources in EV Nova — it has just six fields, only one of which really matters in most cases. Can you give a more detailed explanation of what’s puzzling you?

What I don't understand is what requires the Spďn and how to go about making them. Do I need special software? How would I also go about making an RlëD for the ships/whatever else needs them?

It might also help to know what a Spďn resource is....

The spďn resource is merely a reference to a rlëD or a set of PICTs (in the case of referencing PICTs it is also used to tell Nova how to cut up the PICTs into individual frames). Since Mission Computer has a built-in RLE editor, there really isn't any point to ever storing the graphics as PICTs though, so you may as well just paste the mosaic of the sprite (what comes out of m2s) into the Make RLE plugin in Mission Computer.

You can reference spďns in other resources, and certain spďns have resource IDs which are reserved and certain ranges are used for certain things. For example, weapons use spďns ID 3000-3255. So if you wanted to use the graphic that spďn resource ID 3120 points to, you'd enter 120 in the graphic field of the weapon editor.

This post has been edited by MadFax7 : 26 February 2008 - 11:59 PM

Okay, so what software will I need to create spďn resources, sprites, and graphics?

EDIT: I found something for spďn resources.

This post has been edited by Captain Zaphod Beeblebrox : 27 February 2008 - 01:26 AM

@captain-zaphod-beeblebrox, on Feb 27 2008, 12:37 AM, said in Now Hiring:

Okay, so what software will I need to create spďn resources, sprites, and graphics?

Mission Computer is all you need to convert a sprite mosaic into a rlëD and spďn. Use Make RLE found in the Utilities menu or by creating a new rlëD resource.

m2s can create sprite mosaics out of movie files, such as the ones I provided you with in the other topic.

The easiest way to create the images used for sprites is with a 3D modeling and animation suite. For example, LightWave is what ATMOS used to create Nova's sprites, however it costs $895 (which is pretty cheap). Many people have had great success with programs like Blender and Wings 3d, which are free.

It's worth pointing out that you could make sprites some other way — taking digital photos of real food, for example.

I actually have to make my Happy-Face Pancakes?

Yes, or you could just virtually model them.

I might as well make them, because I can't get Wings 3D to work. I'll have to make Cookies and take pictures of Carrots, too. And throw in more food. I want to have fun with this.

@captain-zaphod-beeblebrox, on Feb 26 2008, 01:27 PM, said in Now Hiring:

Here are some unpaid roles

Possibly "recruiting" might be the word you were after in the topic title, then. 🙂

@captain-zaphod-beeblebrox, on Feb 28 2008, 03:38 PM, said in Now Hiring:

I want to have fun with this.

That's good, Zaph - this is a game, so the whole point is to have fun, even when you're mucking about with plugins instead of playing. If you find that plugin creation is getting you all stressed, and you're not enjoying it, then feel free to have a break from it for a bit - there's no pressure to be getting your plugin out as fast as possible.