Oolite

EV port to other games

ok, many people have been discussing how they wanted to EV4 to be 3D, and multiplayer. well, I can't do anything about mutiplayer, I have an idea about it could be fully 3D.

Oolite is a free-source game, that is 3D, and free-roaming in space. the main point of the game is trading, doing missions, and fighting pirates. (kinda like in EV...) the graphics are encredibly simple, and very low poly. but it seems to have the traits many people seem to want in EV4. so, rather than re-create EV the EV engine so it is 3D, why don't we change a differant game so be like EV?

here is a link to the Oolite homepage if you want to have a look:

http://oolite.aegidian.org/

now, it says in the homepage that the game can be edited in any basic text-editor, but as i am terrible at text editing, i would be unable to create anything. however, anyone with a sufficiant talent for coding would be able to. I am simply putting this out on the table for discussing.

this game would be amazing if it had EV like graphics, and if you could land on planets.

also, tell me if this is like, Illegal or something. I would hate to make people mad. :blink:

This post has been edited by Yoda Almighty : 17 January 2008 - 09:56 PM

Oolite is a remake of the old game Elite. It is made for low-poly graphics and supports nothing else. Plus, don't make EV4, you don't have the rights to the EV franchise.

I never said I was gonna make it. i mentioned EV4 because thats what people were refering to with their wishes. this would just be a port, from EV to Oolite. (not necissarily EVN. it could be EVO, or Even the original EV.)

and the ships could be recreated EV ships, made with low poly. (although I have seens ome ships people have made for Oolite, and they start getting some fairly high polycounts. (more than the stock ships anyway.)

@yamfries, on Jan 18 2008, 12:21 PM, said in Oolite:

I never said I was gonna make it. i mentioned EV4 because thats what people were refering to with their wishes. this would just be a port, from EV to Oolite. (not necissarily EVN. it could be EVO, or Even the original EV.)

and the ships could be recreated EV ships, made with low poly. (although I have seens ome ships people have made for Oolite, and they start getting some fairly high polycounts. (more than the stock ships anyway.)

Check out http://vegastrike.sf.net

awsome. Thanks

Vegastrike is cool. All hail vegastrike.

@shlimazel, on Jan 19 2008, 04:56 PM, said in Oolite:

Vegastrike is cool. All hail vegastrike.

I love working with the Vega Strike devs, but right now I'm taking a lil' break, I need proper blender training, which is mostly why I hang around in this forum, the artwork topic is much more active here. 🙂

When I have time, I'll start working (like, actively) on my TC for Vega Strike too, it is in the planning stage now.

This post has been edited by Phlogios : 19 January 2008 - 11:13 AM

Yeah, we're a lively crowd over in JG.