Regional Map

Region-Specific?

Would it be possible to make a regional map show the systems of only one government? It would be tricky, but maybe with cron-activated hyperjumps that the regional map recognizes but the player can't make?

The effect would be a regional map for, say, the federation telling you about federation space, but not anything else..

There's a Nova Control expression, X----, that will reveal a specific system.

Having "X128, X129, X130..." in the "OnBuy" line of an outfit would reveal systems 128, 129, 130 and so on.

To have an Outfit as a regional map for a specific government, you could try to put an "X----" command for every system that government controls.

On the other hand, only about the first fifty such commands on the "OnBuy" line will work. If the government in question is larger, having the outfit start a mission, or making an invisible, can't-reject mission available in the spaceport, could give you several more lines on which to put more commands.

The outfit has forty-nine "X----" commands in it's "OnBuy" line, followed by "b300."
A mission has "b300" as it's availability expression, so it's only available when the player has purchased the outfit.
The mission's "OnStart" and "OnAccept" will run automatically, giving you another fifty commands each, another fifty systems explored.

If you're willing to explain it as a download time, and tell the player that the rest of the map will be uploaded to the player in flight, you can also use "OnShipDone" for some unmarked special ship that the player observes on takeoff, and "OnAbort," if you have "A----" to abort itself at the end of the "OnShipDone" field. You might or might not also want "!b300" at the end of "OnAbort," depending on if you need cröns to "X----" any more systems.

If you were using such a crön, it'd have as its EnableOn test "b300," just like the mission above, but the crön would have "!b300" at the end instead of the mission (You wouldn't want it running all the time).

If you needed still more, you'd have a series of such cröns, and only the last one in the series would call "!b300"

+50 from OnBuy
+50 from OnStart
+50 from OnAccept
+50 from OnShipDone
+50 from OnAbort

+50 x N from crön OnStart from N number of consecutive cröns
+50 x N from crön OnEnd from N number of consecutive cröns

-1 from "b300"
-1 from "A----"
-1 from "!b300"

So, yes. It should be possible, if you don't mind writing "x256 x257 x258 x259 x300 x301 x302...." and so on for three-hundred iterations.

This post has been edited by Eugene Chin : 01 January 2008 - 01:11 PM

@eugene-chin, on Jan 1 2008, 11:44 AM, said in Regional Map:

There's a Nova Control expression, X----, that will reveal a specific system.

Having "X128, X129, X130..." in the "OnBuy" line of an outfit would reveal systems 128, 129, 130 and so on.

To have an Outfit as a regional map for a specific government, you could try to put an "X----" command for every system that government controls.

On the other hand, only about the first fifty such commands on the "OnBuy" line will work. If the government in question is larger, having the outfit start a mission, or making an invisible, can't-reject mission available in the spaceport, could give you several more lines on which to put more commands.

The outfit has forty-nine "X----" commands in it's "OnBuy" line, followed by "b300."
A mission has "b300" as it's availability expression, so it's only available when the player has purchased the outfit.
The mission's "OnStart" and "OnAccept" will run automatically, giving you another fifty commands each, another fifty systems explored.

If you're willing to explain it as a download time, and tell the player that the rest of the map will be uploaded to the player in flight, you can also use "OnShipDone" for some unmarked special ship that the player observes on takeoff, and "OnAbort," if you have "A----" to abort itself at the end of the "OnShipDone" field. You might or might not also want "!b300" at the end of "OnAbort," depending on if you need cröns to "X----" any more systems.

If you were using such a crön, it'd have as its EnableOn test "b300," just like the mission above, but the crön would have "!b300" at the end instead of the mission (You wouldn't want it running all the time).

If you needed still more, you'd have a series of such cröns, and only the last one in the series would call "!b300"

+50 from OnBuy
+50 from OnStart
+50 from OnAccept
+50 from OnShipDone
+50 from OnAbort

+50 x N from crön OnStart from N number of consecutive cröns
+50 x N from crön OnEnd from N number of consecutive cröns

-1 from "b300"
-1 from "A----"
-1 from "!b300"
So, yes. It should be possible, if you don't mind writing "x256 x257 x258 x259 x300 x301 x302...." and so on for three-hundred iterations.

Thanks. I think that made sense.... wait. it did.

I don't mind too much... I hope. I'll work on the map first. 🙂

16	  map		 1 and up	  How many jumps away from present system to explore
					-1			Explore all inhabited independent systems
					-1000 & down  Explore all systems of this govt class
								  (-1000 is govt class 0, -1001 is govt class 1, etc.)

@soitbegins, on Jan 1 2008, 02:09 PM, said in Regional Map:

I don't mind too much... I hope. I'll work on the map first. 🙂

Of course, finish the map. I can do the outfits... (Do you just check all the posts I make, or what? I have a groupie now. 🙂 I like devotion.

@guy, on Jan 1 2008, 05:11 PM, said:

16	  map		 1 and up	  How many jumps away from present system to explore
					-1			Explore all inhabited independent systems
					-1000 & down  Explore all systems of this govt class
								  (-1000 is govt class 0, -1001 is govt class 1, etc.)

I missed that in the bible somehow... I'll probably have to use both forms... Or give the governments Regions (Like Federation Core, Federation Northern, Federation Auroran Border)and make them allied... would that work
-properly-?

It would definately help with making the many pers. line up correctly... And the missions...

This post has been edited by -REDCHIGH- : 01 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

The map outfit reveals an area centered on the system it is purchased in, and starts to have trouble when you put in numbers larger than 8.

What you asked for was something that would reveal all the systems of a specified government.