Engine hacks in Nova

I've hard of them... but never seen an example.

by engine hack, i mean something that uses c++ programming code to influence the game engine to behhave differently..
For example, in EVO there was a plug-in (i think) that used programming code to enhance the combat AI.

Has anyone else heard of this?

A quote of what i mean is posted on Seattlelightnings post on the employment thread-

Name: Rocky Louie (SeattleLightning)

-snip-

Skills: I'm fairly good at creating photomanipulations, (i) I have C programming experience which is turning out to be very helpful in looking for ways to 'outsmart' the existing EVN code...(/ i)

-snip-

@-redchigh-, on Dec 19 2007, 11:58 AM, said in Engine hacks in Nova:

by engine hack, i mean something that uses c++ programming code to influence the game engine to behhave differently..
For example, in EVO there was a plug-in (i think) that used programming code to enhance the combat AI.

There was a plug-in which claimed to import EV Override ’s AI into the original Escape Velocity by copying the CODE resources; considering that CODE resources are actually ignored on PowerPC Macintoshes (they contain 68k code, while PowerPC code is in the data fork), the claim was suspect at best, though some people were convinced they could see its (absolutely unmeasurable) effects.

Certainly there’s no practical way you could write code of your own that would link properly with the game’s; the amount of reverse-engineering needed would be simply ridiculous to the point that it would be simpler to write your own engine. The most that is actually possible (and even this is quite difficult and works on a very hit-and-miss basis) involves changing individual bits of the complied code in order to change minor variables; the only such thing I’ve ever seen accomplished involved changing the size of the game window.

I have no idea what abilities the poster you quote is claiming; it may be that he simply means he can apply modes of thought from programming to understand the workings of the engine.