To Change or Not?

a quick question involving my TC

Poll: Familiar, or New? Would you prefer a plug that is familiar that you can jump right into, or something completely new and unusual? (19 member(s) have cast votes)
Here at the choices, in order-
I like the other EV games a lot... I'd like a TC that maintains the same feel so I dont have to relearn a game.
(1 votes [5.26%])
Percentage of vote: 5.26%
I like Nova, but I like the occasional quirk that I've never seen.
(2 votes [10.53%])
Percentage of vote: 10.53%
I'd like something new, but I'd like at least some of my old strategies to still work in the new game.
(2 votes [10.53%])
Percentage of vote: 10.53%
I like new and unexpected features, and would enjoy a game that was totally different- even if it took me a couple pilot files to get everything figured out.
(14 votes [73.68%])
Percentage of vote: 73.68%

A few of the ideas that will be implemented in 3000:

A new way to design maps and use hypergates (the weight is on you, SoItBegins)

Weapons that act differently than anything in the stock scenario.

Distinct ship classes- no more fighters (or upgraded courier vessels for that matter) taking out capital ships.

A story and galaxy that will change as you play
- even if you never do a single mission

The one I'm a real advocate for is the "no fighters taking out capital ships" part. Sure, a medium ship with an extraordinary pilot and optimal outfits may be able to just barely squeeze out a victory over a larger foe, but the whole Valkyrie > Fed Carrier thing gives me anger!

Other than that, show us what you can do! 😉

@archon, on Dec 14 2007, 05:29 PM, said in To Change or Not?:

The one I'm a real advocate for is the "no fighters taking out capital ships" part. Sure, a medium ship with an extraordinary pilot and optimal outfits may be able to just barely squeeze out a victory over a larger foe, but the whole Valkyrie > Fed Carrier thing gives me anger!

Other than that, show us what you can do! 😉

Oh, I will. I've been trying to tweak the weaps and warships for 2 weeks now... Im nearly 25% done. need certain ships to beat certain ships and lose to others, but all the govts have drastically different weapons... (Voltaic (electric-arc) cannons, free-standing shielding drones, hyperspace missiles, tactical nukes, its a mess.)

I know what you mean. I worked out a little guideline to help with balancing Anathema, or actually not as much worked out as stole from modern naval warfare. :unsure: It may not be applicable or needed, but I could give you a few pointers sometime if you'd like.

Basically, you just need to force certain ships to have particular weaknesses, without making it seem that you forced it. 😛

By the way: I won't say much about the map and the hypergates ('cos it's secret :D) but I think I figured out how some of the mechanics could work for that.

I chose the second option, but I meant the third. Basically, make it recognizable as being from Nova, but add as much cool new hacks/features as you can.

@-redchigh-, on Dec 14 2007, 05:15 PM, said in To Change or Not?:

A story and galaxy that will change as you play
- even if you never do a single mission

Good luck with that. Many have tried, none have succeeded that I know of, either out of impossibility or finding it not worth the effort.

it is mission-bit intensive, but not more so than many of the other hacks.. (maybe 15-35 missions that are self-aborting and set bits.,.. the bits also set things on the bar holovid so you know whats happening... :ninja: and also, by the time there are only t5 bits or so left, its to late... but they keep resolving so the story has a fitting end.

I wish you luck redhigh.

by the way, have ypu posted any screenshots anywhere?

@-redchigh-, on Dec 15 2007, 06:39 PM, said in To Change or Not?:

it is mission-bit intensive, but not more so than many of the other hacks.. (maybe 15-35 missions that are self-aborting and set bits.,.. the bits also set things on the bar holovid so you know whats happening... :ninja: and also, by the time there are only t5 bits or so left, its to late... but they keep resolving so the story has a fitting end.

I would suggest that you use cröns instead of mďsns when possible just because all the available mission slots can get used up so quickly. Unless you need briefings attached to the changes, everything else can be accomplished just as well using a crön. (At least, I think they can).

Yoda: I dont have any graphics yet, so screenshots are waiting until I have at least a few new graphics...
Archon: thats what I meant... I've been doing override a lot longer... for example, in the plug, the governments are done like in override- there's one government for each enemy that the government has. (Easier that way, for me.)

This post has been edited by -REDCHIGH- : 17 December 2007 - 03:10 PM

@-redchigh-, on Dec 17 2007, 02:08 PM, said in To Change or Not?:

Yoda: I dont have any graphics yet, so screenshots are waiting until I have at least a few new graphics...

Who says you have to have new graphics to start taking screenshots?

Posted Image

That's a pre-alpha screenie, by the way.

@joshtigerheart, on Dec 17 2007, 02:18 PM, said in To Change or Not?:

Who says you have to have new graphics to start taking screenshots?
Posted Image

That's a pre-alpha screenie, by the way.

heh good old UE fighters...

Im considering...