Trouble with a crashing plug-in

Greetings to everyone

I'm working on a plug-in in EVNEW1.0.4 (which may turn into a TC at some point) that will add the Tyranids from Warhammer 40k to some corner of the Nova universe maybe out beyond Kontick. However I've run into a snag, I've created a system which works as long as I dont place any spobs that I've created in it. I threw earth into the system and it worked fine but as soon as I put any planet or station of my own into the system Nova crashes when my ship jumps in. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to fix it before I just delete everything and start over I'm open to suggestions. fortunately I havent done a huge amount of work on it so starting over won't be catistrophic.

Thanks!

It sounds like the problem is with the spob, not the syst. To check, try copying the syst resource for one of Nova's stock systems into your plug, and editing that to include your new planet. See if the problem shows up when entering that system.

Does your new planet have a new sprite graphic? There are definitely ways for Picts, RLEs, and spin resources to cause nastiness.

Also, you should be be using and studying a debuglog.txt file if you aren't already:

EV Nova Documentation.pdf said:

Nova is better than EV/EVO about detecting problems with plug-ins. It has a special logging feature which isn't enabled by default. We used it to debug Nova during development but it's also useful for plug-in developers. To turn it on all you have to do is create a text file called "debuglog.txt" in your EV Nova folder. When Nova runs it will log all kinds of useful things including graphics and data problems.

EDIT: Hey! Welcome to the 'boards!

This post has been edited by Dr. Trowel : 06 October 2007 - 12:26 PM

@flayzer, on Oct 6 2007, 08:20 AM, said in Trouble with a crashing plug-in:

Greetings to everyone

I'm working on a plug-in in EVNEW1.0.4 (which may turn into a TC at some point) that will add the Tyranids from Warhammer 40k to some corner of the Nova universe maybe out beyond Kontik. However I've run into a snag, I've created a system which works as long as I don't place any spöbs that I've created in it. I threw earth into the system and it worked fine but as soon as I put any planet or station of my own into the system Nova crashes when my ship jumps in. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to fix it before I just delete everything and start over I'm open to suggestions. fortunately I haven't done a huge amount of work on it so starting over won't be catastrophic.

Thanks!

My guess is that you're forgetting to do something with your spöbs that you're not supposed to forget. If you want, I can take a look at it. Just PM me and attach the file as you do so. If the file's too big to attach that way, my email is fox_mizwrx@trash(nospam)mail.net. (Remove the (nospam) bit first, though.)

I'm using graphics for the spobs that come as part of Nova. I tried putting all 3 of my objects, one at a time into the Tichel system and all 3 made it crash. I added the debuglog to the nova folder, however I have no idea what any of it means. also my system seems to have randomly linked itself to a bunch of systems that I didnt want it attaching to. It's only supposed to link to K-12, K-03, and K-15 for now but the only link that seems to work atm is the one from Ere'l'Cal. I'm going to upload the debuglog here so people can take a look. Since apparently uploading .rez files isnt allowed I'll e-mail it to people that want to take a look. Attached File debuglog.txt (2.89K)
Number of downloads: 6

This post has been edited by Flayzer : 06 October 2007 - 06:01 PM

If you zip the plug first it should upload fine.

First, you need to make links from the K systems to it (just copy/paste them into your plug and add the link). That's not enough to make it crash, and nothing really seems to be wrong. Usually there's something at the end that says something to the effect of "ZOMGBBQ U HAV DESTROYZORD TEH UNIVERS!!!! this is your problem." Yeah.

reads Guy's post, smacks self with large book, zips up file

ok, here is the plug-in in all its not really glory at all...Attached File Tyranid_Mk2.zip (1.08K)
Number of downloads: 2

Aha, you've set the graphic types to crazy-high values. Check the graphic types for the spobs you want yours to look like and use the exact same values.

fixed the graphics values and now it no longer crashes :laugh: 😄 however the hyperlinks are still screwed up and I dont know why. I copied the systems I want to jump from into the plug-in and added my system to their links and still it goes to a bunch of systems that it shouldnt and wont let me jump in from the systems I connected it to.

here is the most recent version of the plugin Attached File Tyranid_Mk2.zip (23.2K)
Number of downloads: 1

This post has been edited by Flayzer : 06 October 2007 - 11:55 PM

Ah yes, you're using ID 500 for your system which already used by some other system in Nova. Pick an ID above all the ones already used.
Also, you don't need to include the rleDs, spins, or systems your system links to in your plug (once you fix the ID, any systems your system links to should automatically link back again).

(edit) Also also, you'll need a new ID for your govt too.

Also also also, you don't need to copy the Message Buoy Strings 'STR#' resource but can instead use 'STR ' resources to add new entries. See Appendix III in the Nova Bible for how to do this.

This post has been edited by Guy : 07 October 2007 - 12:24 AM

well I changed what needed to be changed, removed unneccisary stuff, and now there are no hyperlinks to my system at all <_<

new revision Attached File Tyranid_Mk2.zip (1.39K)
Number of downloads: 1

You'll probably need to link to duplicates of those systems too. Which will be, let's see... 628, 644 and 650.

Well system and planets now work!
Next step is making the ships and outfits. If anyone has any pictures or models of Tyranid ships that I could use that would be great beacause all the pics I've ever found werent very good.