Idea

I am JoshTigerheart, and I approve Consul Bob's message.

I'd probably still try to make plugs for Ares if I could get it to run under classic...or get an emulator that works to run Ares...

I am gray_shirt_ninja, and I approve Consul Bob's message.

There are more then enough ships and weapons in Ares to keep you developers busy. Don't think about adding new stuff until you've exhausted all the old stuff. I have to say that I like weapons in Ares better then Nova. There were so many more things you could do. Like holographic ships and... and... and... stuff. Mmm-kay. Yeah. I'm going to go get some more sleep now.

Arrgh! Must resist temptation to download and try Ares for the first time....

I'm zapp, and I approve Consul Bob's message. Dangit, my name isn't long enough to sound cool saying that!

If you're going for a classic feel, you don't want to have starbridges flying around saying "<random spob> is a good place to buy/sell <random commodity>".

Call yourself "Zapp, Da Untouchable", and you will sound coolest of all.

It might be a good idea not to even have commodities.

I am Cosmic Nusiance, and I approve of Consul Bob's message.

I love how there's debates about how I should do it when I am not going to start it for several months. 😄

It's Da Uncatchable.

@gray-shirt-ninja, on Oct 11 2007, 08:00 AM, said in Idea:

It might be a good idea not to even have commodities.

That does bring us back to the point of whether or not it will be a trader game. If it's just military, then some junks might be helpful for missions (ie, take the military commando team to <DST>). If it's trader, then from what I saw of ares, it'll be pretty darn hard to do anything at all on this.

Wow I just played Ares a little, and it is beyond me how anyone can make the Nova engine emulate this at all... :wacko:

Geek said:

Wow I just played Ares a little, and it is beyond me how anyone can make the Nova engine emulate this at all... :wacko:

Yeah, Ares is an RTS, which nova can't really simulate at all. You can take the Ares universe and create a Nova universe out of it with missions and such, but you can't replicate the gameplay.

Cosmic_Nusiance said:

How's this for a TC? Ares. I did a search, and someone brought up the fact that Ares doesn't have enough info about it's universe to make a plug out of. What you have to take into account is that where there's no data, there's room to make it up, since you can't disprove it. Anyway, I wanted to see what TCAL (the community at large) thinks. I am busy with Nebula at the moment, but I am thinking about unveiling my Formerly Top Secret plugin production "company" that worked a little on Nebula and is planning work on things like my Marathon TC etc.

While the game itself is kinda short on backstory, the old Ares community generated a pretty substantial background and history of the various races in the game. Looking for those old posts/stories could prove rather troublesome as I doubt the threads that held them still exist.

@geek, on Oct 12 2007, 11:05 PM, said in Idea:

Can you tell me how you played Ares? The only way I can get it to work is through classic, and that's like trying to play some huge online game with a 56k modem.

Yeah, I've tried and I got about 1 fps. Didn't work that well.

@joshtigerheart, on Oct 14 2007, 07:24 AM, said in Idea:

Can you tell me how you played Ares? The only way I can get it to work is through classic, and that's like trying to play some huge online game with a 56k modem.

I rebooted my computer to my Classic system folder, to run my computer in System 9. Then, I can play any classic game that doesn't run well in the Classic environment. hat's how I used to play EVC and EVO on my comp.

This post has been edited by Geek : 13 October 2007 - 04:56 PM

@geek, on Oct 13 2007, 02:56 PM, said in Idea:

I rebooted my computer to my Classic system folder, to run my computer in System 9. Then, I can play any classic game that doesn't run well in the Classic environment. hat's how I used to play EVC and EVO on my comp.

One problem with that:
Those of us who use G5 or Intel processers can't boot in OS9, and Intel can't even run Classic. Also, if you have both OSX and OS9 installed in the same disk, you can't boot in OS9, and to make two disks, you need to wipe the harddrive. I don't think anyone here wants to do that. I tried booting in OS9 on an older computer with OSX on the same disk, and it completely crashed the computer. I had to wipe the disk and reinsall OSX. Luckily I didn't have anything I cared about on there.

Sure, you can't run Classic on the newest computers. But if you have Classic and OSX installed on an older Mac, you can reboot the computer in Classic by selecting the OS9 system folder in "Startup Disk" in the System Preferences. You can reboot back to OSX by using the Startup Disk control panel, or holding down the "x" key on restart.

This post has been edited by Geek : 13 October 2007 - 05:26 PM

@geek, on Oct 13 2007, 03:23 PM, said in Idea:

Sure, you can't run Classic on the newest computers. But if you have Classic and OSX installed on an older Mac, you can reboot the computer in Classic by selecting the OS9 system folder in "Startup Disk" in the System Preferences. You can reboot back to OSX by using the Startup Disk control panel, or holding down the "x" key on restart.

I know. I have multiple older computers, in fact. The problem is, none of them have the processing power to run these programs. And some of them refuse to install. It's sort of pointless in my opinion anyway, because for me, the only reason to play those older games is for topics like this.

To run Ares on a recent Mac, you'll need an emulator that replicates an older Mac in software, such as Sheepshaver or Basilisk. This is not easy stuff, but quite a few people around here have done it. I'm just not one of them.

Look here, and at the links in that thread. If you need more help, search the 'boards and/or post your questions in Just Tech, Just Games, or the Ares boards. Good luck!