Just for fun, which ship do you like better?

Poll: Pick the Fighter! (17 member(s) have cast votes)
Which ship looks better?
The 'Original' Bobcat
(6 votes [31.58%])
Percentage of vote: 31.58%
The 'Redone' Bobcat
(13 votes [68.42%])
Percentage of vote: 68.42%

(attachment=4646:Bobcatv2.jpg)

Here's the 'REDONE' Bobcat.

(attachment=4647:Bobcat.jpg)

Here's the 'ORIGINAL' Bobcat.

(attachment=4648:Comparison.jpg)

Here's a comparison with both.

Personally, I think that the old one cannot hold a candle to the new one, but I'm curious to hear everyone else's opinion.

You should scale up the texturing, currently you have a "large bulk plating" texture which is used for ships that are meant to seem really really huge.

Redone one looks better IMHO ^_^

Actually, I really like the wing/engine configuration of the first one, but the front half of it looks too blocky. The hull portion of the second looks much nicer, but I'm not as fond of the rear half.

Maybe you could just photoshop them together. :blink:

Well, I have to agree with Skyfox, especially for the first one, the texture is a bit odd...

But I like them both anyways, I'd just say to go with the one that blends in the best with the other ships...

Simple solution: use one as the Bobcat and the other as another ship. One less model you have to make in the future.

Redone. I like the cockpit in the first one, but that's about it.

Redone. Definitely.

Redone pwns. I do love the engines on the original, though.

I vote for both because I can.

I like the cockpit better on the redone one, but only because the original has a bright blue cockpit. I think you should make it more like glass and less like it's coated in a thick layer of blue paint.

The redone one looks more like a scoutship that can also handle combat, and the original looks more like a light fighter.

Actually the original looks more like a boxy light freighter , IMO.

Redone has 1337 guns on the front. That is all. :laugh:

Original is better except for the silly (IMHO) looking blue cockpit.

The REDONE one looks like a soapstone carving, not a ship. IOW, it has too few variations in color scheme and surface detail.

I also think the engine stuff on the original is =much= better than that on the REDONE.

I do love the engines on the original, though.

I also think the engine stuff on the original is =much= better than that on the REDONE.

HAH! That's really hysterically funny! The old engines are just textured cylinders with a circular depression in the back, and the new engines are painstakingly crafted multi section, multi texture engines! Say, what do you like best about the old engines? If it's the glow, I can post a picture of the new engines with glow and you can see what you think of that.

The redone one looks more like a scoutship that can also handle combat, and the original looks more like a light fighter.

Hmm, I didn't think of it looking like a scoutship at all. That's an interesting idea. Maybe I could make it a scoutship instead and call it the Lynx.

You should scale up the texturing, currently you have a "large bulk plating" texture which is used for ships that are meant to seem really really huge.

Hmm, does that mean that I should get a bigger texture? Currently it is at 1000x1000 resolution. If you mean that I should make a custom texture for it... ugh I've never been good at that, even with the fabulous tutorial I found on this forum.

especially for the first one, the texture is a bit odd...

I mixed a reddened version of my standard texture with the standard texture.

Simple solution: use one as the Bobcat and the other as another ship. One less model you have to make in the future.

True, true. I don't even know if I'll use this model, though. I just wanted to see if people thought that it was better than the original.

Things that are better about the orginal engines vs the REDONE ones:

1= Bigger exhaust orifices. Thrust is proportional to the mass * velocity of the exhaust after all.
2= Engines / exhaust thrust that are closer to the center of mass of craft. Those little stationary "tail pipes" coming out of the REDONE would make that craft harder to control.
3= Actual exhaust flames / ion trail / whathaveyou is better than having a model without.

Note that if this craft is supposed to be good in a dogfight, neither engine placement is very good (although the original is better than the REDONE).

Much better maneuverability could be gotten by making engines that can thrust fore or aft and then putting 2 of them in an "over and under" configuration the outer parts of each "wing";

E---bbb---E
wwwbbbwww
E---bbb---E

(forward or backward view. direction of travel into or out of page)

EEEEE
wwww
bbbbb
wwww
EEEEE

(even more simplified top view. Direction of travel side to side of page)

Such a design allows for very fast changes in velocity (speed + direction of travel)

This post has been edited by Mock Turtle : 17 September 2007 - 11:53 AM

What, like this? (picture of a ship from the back)

(attachment=4659:rapier.jpg)

Well, a test render ended up with the redone bobcat rendering out to be about half the size of the original bobcat. :rolleyes: I think I need to render it at a higher resolution.

You have a Bobcat fighter? What? Why didn't you tell me? I have a bobcat fighter, too....

Why didn't YOU tell me!!???!?

But seriously, why should I have? And it mentions the name of the fighter several times in the start post.

Well I didn't read that, I just looked through the pictures.