Last names, anyone?

Exploiting the nicknames field.

I found a way to change the Full Name and Nickname fields to the First Name and Last Name fields.

Here's a picture.

(attachment=4852:Picture_2.png)

Here's a file with the altered info.

(attachment=4853:Untitled...g_in.bin.zip)

What do you think? Now I can change what the Full Name and Nickname fields in the appropriate string are so that you can have first and last names!

{EDIT}

Here's a screenie after I changed the default full names and nicknames in the Default Name string.

(attachment=4854:Picture_3.png)

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 04 October 2007 - 10:49 AM

Neat. How do you do it?

I think it replaces the Nickname area with a last-name thing. Simple, yet awesome. Major props.

Easy to do, actually. We did that for SFA a couple of months ago.
The important thing to do though is to adapt dëscs to it. Right now, if you use stock Nova, it makes no sense.

The way to do it is twofold: you first need to modify one special DITL resource (or is it DLOG? I forget) to change the text string (so it reads "first name" and "last name" instead of "name" and "nickname"); the second equally important step is to modify the STR# resource containing the default names & nicknames. I think I also swapped the position of first and last name so that the normal "pilot name" tag would give the last name (right now, in Shlimazel's example, the <PN> tag will return the first name).

Neat. How do you do it?

Download the attached file and you can see how I did it.

Simple, yet awesome. Major props.

Thanks. I'm pleased to have found a way to do that.

The important thing to do though is to adapt dëscs to it. Right now, if you use stock Nova, it makes no sense.

Yeah, I still need to adjust my descs to the new system.

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 04 October 2007 - 11:27 AM

One thing you could conceivably do is have something like "{g "Mr." "Ms."} <PNN>" for your descs that are business related. Not a frivolous idea after all.

Yeah, that was one thing I planned on doing.

I've used the nick-name field for a last name since day one of AG. Thanks to your little hack AG will be slightly more awesome. Mad props.

I've used the nick-name field for a last name since day one of AG. Thanks to your little hack AG will be slightly more awesome. Mad props.

You're welcome ;). At first I was having a hard time getting it to work but finally I did !!!!happy!!!!