PoG plugin brainstorming area

Originally posted by Stark Bledfast:
**I was always under the impression that "Drivatan" was a type of metal and not a race.

That's new for me, but come to think of it I never hear anyone say "The DriviTan make good weapons"...

------------------
Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordian.
"You're dumb." -Rawzer to whitedevil and whitedevil2

Ahhhh....but whether they are a metal or a race should not matter to those who make plug ins...there "could" be a race of Drivitans...yeah...they hail from Drivit...have beady dark eyes, greasy hair, always look sunburnt (from the fires in the forge)....halflings of a sort....smell obnoxiously and every man and his father before him and so on are blacksmiths whilst the woman stay at home and farm and have babies...and the entire race hates dwarves....eh?

Or....Drivitan "could" be of any race (except dwarven) but that is the surname of the great family...blacksmiths all, that craft these semi-decent, economically priced (like Sears Craftsman tools) weapons...the father and my father before me thing.

It's all a matter of interpretation 🙂

------------------

I'm not sure whether or not this idea's really been said, but perhaps try something like the clssic SNES game Actraiser. Flashback: you would fly down to an area, beat off the hordes of monsters followed by a boss, then bring in people to live there, whom you help to build their city and occasionally receive goodies from.

------------------
All hail Hikari, Golden Goddess of Light!

Geez, that sounds so vague. Let me try again. You discover a band of people complaining that there town has been overrun and destroyed by monsters. You go in, beat off monsters and boss, the people declare you their governor, you direct the rebuilding. And lots of related quests of course.

------------------

Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
**Geez, that sounds so vague. Let me try again. You discover a band of people complaining that there town has been overrun and destroyed by monsters. You go in, beat off monsters and boss, the people declare you their governor, you direct the rebuilding. And lots of related quests of course.

Sounds nice. But I think that you shouldn't be governor though. After all, you can't expect for the player to walk in circles all day like the mayors in the other towns.

------------------
Clones are people two.
If UPS and Fed-Ex merged, would they be Fed-Up?
A man who's out to save Gidolan Keep, flies an Auroran ship, and hacks into computers to keep the bricks from falling past the line of destiny? Yep, that's me!

The player could be a sometime governor and just stop by sometimes to see how his people are doing, as they know he's got adventuring to do.

------------------

More graphics for the characters. For example, when a Swordsman has a flail equipped, he is still swinging a sword. A Ranger at the Knight level always has wolf claws on. A plugin with these changes could also be used to create Female characters.

------------------
Clones are people two.
A man who's out to save Gidolan Keep, flies an Auroran ship, and hacks into computers to keep the bricks from falling past the line of destiny? Yep, that's me!

Originally posted by Thunderforge:
**More graphics for the characters. For example, when a Swordsman has a flail equipped, he is still swinging a sword. A Ranger at the Knight level always has wolf claws on. A plugin with these changes could also be used to create Female characters.

While that would be a great addition to the game...actually seeing your character wear the equipment you put on...dont' ya think the wolf claws and fur the ranger wears is devastatingly handsome on him??? 😉 hee...hee

------------------

I noticed that the evil crown has the Use button activated, but nothing happens when you click it. What if when you clicked it, you blacked out only to find that you have nearly destroyed a town (no people would be harmed in this plugin). So as a result, you'd have to clear your name, deliver supplies, and such. But then you begin to have urges to put the crown on (like or the ring in Lord of the Rings). So, you have to find all about the history for the crown and how to reverse the curse.

Idea: Perhaps instead of activating the quest when putting on the crown, Septemris gives it back to you and some comes to you and brainwashes you to put it on your head (which would be what happened to the general). Then the rest of the plugin continues in the way that I mentioned above.

------------------
Clones are people two.

**I noticed that the evil crown has the Use button activated, but nothing happens when you click it. What if when you clicked it, you blacked out only to find that you have nearly destroyed a town (no people would be harmed in this plugin). So as a result, you'd have to clear your name, deliver supplies, and such. But then you begin to have urges to put the crown on (like or the ring in Lord of the Rings). So, you have to find all about the history for the crown and how to reverse the curse.

Idea: Perhaps instead of activating the quest when putting on the crown, Septemris gives it back to you and some comes to you and brainwashes you to put it on your head (which would be what happened to the general). Then the rest of the plugin continues in the way that I mentioned above.

The problem with doing what you suggest above is that the source code for PoG is not available and one cannot change what its characters say and do. To do anything like this, one would have to make another "fake" Septemris and put him in some other square because unless you know his code, you can't even replace him on his own turf. He would have to be cloned and having two of him in the same square wouldn't work too well.

If you have studied the plugins which are available, you'll notice that they all rely on "new" characters to tell their story. So far no one has taken a character which exists in the game already and had them do or say new things. This avoids conflicts with the main game. It would be rather strange if you talked to Septemris in his own territory and then ran up to Fantrima where you found him waiting for you with different dialogue. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, just that it's unlikely it could be pulled off well.

I already know the trouble which can happen if a player doesn't do things in a plugin the same way I would. The plugin author has to anticipate all the different ways a player might do things, and sometimes we don't catch them all. (See the bug fix for DiD.) ~RD

------------------
My Doctor said I was having too much wine, women, and song - so I gave up singing because 2 out of 3 is not so bad.
The (url="http://"http://www.evula.org/rduck/")Kingdom of Garendall(/url) sectional map is easily printed from gif format pages.
(url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/vftp/dl-redirect.pl/damsels.sit?path=pog/addons&file;=damsels.sit")Damsels in Distress(/url) - A plugin for PoG.

ive got a funny idea. what if you walked into he broken hull of a valkyrie from escape velocity nova, and find commander krane standing in front of you.

------------------

Originally posted by Rubber Ducky:
**The problem with doing what you suggest above is that the source code for PoG is not available and one cannot change what its characters say and do. To do anything like this, one would have to make another "fake" Septemris and put him in some other square because unless you know his code, you can't even replace him on his own turf. He would have to be cloned and having two of him in the same square wouldn't work too well.

If you have studied the plugins which are available, you'll notice that they all rely on "new" characters to tell their story. So far no one has taken a character which exists in the game already and had them do or say new things. This avoids conflicts with the main game. It would be rather strange if you talked to Septemris in his own territory and then ran up to Fantrima where you found him waiting for you with different dialogue. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, just that it's unlikely it could be pulled off well.

I already know the trouble which can happen if a player doesn't do things in a plugin the same way I would. The plugin author has to anticipate all the different ways a player might do things, and sometimes we don't catch them all. (See the bug fix for DiD.) ~RD

And really, you did anticiptate quite well. No one can anticipate everything 🙂

As far as getting the "evil crown" back...it could simply be a matter of Septemris, put it in a "safe" place....but someone (like you say, new character OR even a new character that "looks like Septemris, but there's just something "a little odd" about him...blah, blah....) "stole" it. He could be hanging anywhere on the outskirts of the trees or anywhere for that matter. He could ply the hero into taking the crown and then you go from there. There's always ways to work around things. But, then you could still see a person going back to Septemris place and he's got his same old dialogue. hmmmm.....I'd have to think some more! It could happen!

MD~

------------------

Originally posted by CorndogCR:
**ive got a funny idea. what if you walked into he broken hull of a valkyrie from escape velocity nova, and find commander krane standing in front of you.

Or you could go into Gidolan Keep and see my crashed Thunderforge with me in it (see the Blue Mushroom Pub for details.
-------------------
About the crown, I suppose that you can do trial and error and make a list of all the people, items, etc., then publish the list. But you'd need plenty of time on your hands (time better spent making a new plugin from the ideas in this topic). Maybe you could have one of the Knights (possibly possessed) come to you and give you the crown. This would take care of the issue.

------------------
Clones are people two.

(quote)Originally posted by Thunderforge:
**(QUOTE)About the crown, I suppose that you can do trial and error and make a list of all the people, items, etc., then publish the list. But you'd need plenty of time on your hands (time better spent making a new plugin from the ideas in this topic). Maybe you could have one of the Knights (possibly possessed) come to you and give you the crown. This would take care of the issue.
**(/quote)

I think the crown thing is a good idea and I may work on the whole issue myself, but I won't get Coldstone until August and then there are those long cold winter months coming!!! And making a plug in of any kind with quests is time consuming anyway as you do have to look at outcomes etc. So, I think it might be worth looking into!!

MD~

------------------

(QUOTE)It would be rather strange if you talked to Septemris in his own territory and then ran up to Fantrima where you found him waiting for you with different dialogue.(QUOTE/) Easy. The Septemris who gives you the crown isn't the original Septemris, he's Shadow Sptemris/Chaos Septemris/Evil Bloody Copy Of Septemris, spawned from Shadow/Chaos/Bloody Evil.

------------------

(quote)Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
**(QUOTE)It would be rather strange if you talked to Septemris in his own territory and then ran up to Fantrima where you found him waiting for you with different dialogue.(QUOTE/) Easy. The Septemris who gives you the crown isn't the original Septemris, he's Shadow Sptemris/Chaos Septemris/Evil Bloody Copy Of Septemris, spawned from Shadow/Chaos/Bloody Evil.

**(/quote)
Or just a Septemris that happened decided to walk up to wherever to meet you. The dialog box says at some point that he runs back to his house. But your version is more amusing, Raistlin Majere. Except that you forgot possessed Septemris.

------------------
Clones are people two.

**G
-The Holy Grail (with the Knights that Say Nee! of course)

Ni...Nee...whatever...I'm bringing this back to the forefront, because when I do get Coldstone...I believe my first little practice plug-in is definately going to involve Monty Python and the Holy Hand Grenade of Anticoch...because it's one of my favorite scenes...especially ...some call him "Tim!" I wonder if this would be a copywrite infringement thingy. Oh well!!! I just think it would be a good little "practice" plug-in!!! (Of course, I do have a whole host of other more or less original little ideas running through my head which I fully warn ahead of time, could be dangerous!)

MD~ 😄

------------------
editing brought to you by the "I have ideas, I just can't spell them" group!

(This message has been edited by MyzDefy (edited 07-15-2003).)

Maybe you could have one of the Knights (possibly possessed) come to you and give you the crown. This would take care of the issue.

Or a variation on this. Have the knight give you the crown saying Septemris wants you to have it. Later you discover he wasn't a knight at all but a thief who stole the crown and a suit of armor from one of the knights. A knight could be running around in his underwear and quests you to find his missing armor.

Also, why not an evil conjurer who can change his appearance to look like Septemris?

------------------
Insert profound thought
or clever witticism here

Originally posted by MyzDefy:
**I wonder if this would be a copywrite infringement thingy.

I doubt it. After all, the people making the Star Wars total conversions for the Escape Velocity series haven't gotten in trouble.

Originally posted by someone (I don't remember right now)
**Or a variation on this. Have the knight give you the crown saying Septemris wants you to have it. Later you discover he wasn't a knight at all but a thief who stole the crown and a suit of armor from one of the knights. A knight could be running around in his underwear and quests you to find his missing armor.

Also, why not an evil conjurer who can change his appearance to look like Septemris?

Sounds good. I probably should look at Coldstone. It's too pricey for me right now, but maybe someday...

------------------
Clones are people two.

(refresh)
Sorry to GRAVEDIG, but are any of these ideas being put to use because I'd like to use some of them myself.

------------------
Vast__
QUOTE "All games die eventually except for Starcraft which will live forever..."
Long Live Ares, Starcraft, Uplink and Cythera!
(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum61/HTML/001202-27.html")See my infamous death in the Blue Mushroom Pub!(/url)