Having trouble replacing nova's title music...

And yes, I saw the other topic about this

The problem I'm having is that I'm taking making my music in garageband, importing it to iTunes, dragging and dropping it to the desktop to produce an .aiff, converting that to .mp3, renaming the .mp3 Nova Music, and there isn't any extension, but the .mp3 still doesn't work. I'm not sure what I did wrong-according to my research it should be working. And it's so stinking cool! Help!

Never mind, I got it to work and ****BOY does it sound good! In case you are curious, I copied the STR# 130 resource from the EV Nova application and edited line 2 to read Nova Music.mp3 and changed the file name to Nova Music.mp3.

This post has been edited by Shlimazel : 05 September 2007 - 12:04 PM

The problem, I'm going to assume, is this:

You're probably running Mac OS X, meaning that in order to actually delete a file's extension, you need to open the file's "get info" and remove it through the box at the bottom of that window. Removing the .mp3 by just clicking on the file, hitting return, and deleting the extension from there doesn't actually remove it from the document's internal functioning (I'm not sure how to describe that really); it just makes the tag invisible.

I would also suggest that you not do this by changing str# 130 in the Nova application itself, because more than one plug that requires a new version of the application EV Nova gets to be a huge hassle for the player, which is really annoying when it could have been fixed by something so simple.

Not trying to knock you, just saying that an edited program is usually a really sloppy method of plugin developing.

You're probably running Mac OS X,

Well.. Considering that I mentioned that I was using garageband for my music, yes, that would be implicitly implied..

meaning that in order to actually delete a file's extension, you need to open the file's "get info" and remove it through the box at the bottom of that window

I did that. I suppose I should have made it more clear, but when I did that it still didn't work.

I would also suggest that you not do this by changing str# 130 in the Nova application itself, because more than one plug that requires a new version of the application EV Nova gets to be a huge hassle for the player, which is really annoying when it could have been fixed by something so simple.

That didn't occur to me; thanks for bringing that to my attention. But the reason I did this was partially because I read
here, I think, that it would improve compatibility for windows users.

Ah, so some people do read that 🙂
Shlimazel: I think Archon was saying that it's not a good idea to modify the EV Nova application file
Archon: I'm pretty sure Shlimazel would have copied the resource into a plug before changing it

I changed the string to be Nova Music.mp3 and it crashed nova. I had to re-download the app.

Strange, I'm not sure why Nova wouldn't recognize the file if you modified it in get info, but would if you changed Str# 130. My next shot would be to say "make sure it has a proper creator code," but that's obviously not the issue if you got it to play by changing said resource.

I guess then that you may as well just modify the app and hope that nobody else does the same. 😉

I copied the STR# into my TC file, I didn't modify the app. I haven't had any trouble with it, but if it starts screwing up when other people use it I'll roll up my sleeves and start working 😉

Don't worry, it won't screw up. You are doing it the 'correct' way. The EV/O ports do it this way with no problems 🙂
You get real problems if you don't do it this way since without the extension it will require a type code to actually work. The type code won't be preserved when zipping without encoding the music file but then Windows users will think it's a plug-in. They would have to first decode the file using StuffIt or something and then add the .mp3 extension before it will work for them. Not nice.

Don't worry, it won't screw up. You are doing it the 'correct' way

Okay, thanks! That sets my mind at rest.

You get real problems if you don't do it this way since without the extension it will require a type code to actually work. The type code won't be preserved when zipping without encoding the music file but then Windows users will think it's a plug-in. They would have to first decode the file using StuffIt or something and then add the .mp3 extension before it will work for them. Not nice.

Hunh. Poor windows users.... <shakes head>