Star

use as a spöb

I made an image of a star if anyone wants to use it. It's pretty good, if I do say so myself. Has anyone tried putting a star into nova? You could make use of the Deadly Spöb and Gravity tags that are pretty much unused over the course of the game.

can you post it so I can see it? I just might have a use for it....

another idea, a black hole. a deadley spob with a very high gravity and make it look like a big black part in space with some streaky lines at the edges, like light is falling into it. I think I'll make that.

I have Solarcell, to, to make supergiants. mwahahaha! with a volcanic planet orbiting, thats cery difficult to get to cause of gravity.

ook.

Here ya go. It's a gif, so low color detail. I also had to scale it down.Attached File Picture_5.gif (16.35K)
Number of downloads: 44

Also, a black hole. Attached File BlacHole.jpg (36.6K)
Number of downloads: 60

It's kinda hard to see unless it's full size.

This post has been edited by Cosmic_Nusiance : 10 August 2007 - 08:20 PM

This is what I came up with in a couple of minutes (black hole):

Attached File(s)

@reinierk, on Aug 11 2007, 04:29 AM, said in Star:

This is what I came up with in a couple of minutes (black hole):

That's great. Remember, though, a black hole is BLACK. No light exiting at all. That means very sudden light falloff, as apposed to a gradual fading kinda thing.
How did you get the cool streaky effects on the lighting?

This post has been edited by Cosmic_Nusiance : 11 August 2007 - 10:31 AM

I know what a blackhole is 😉 It's kinda hard to make a sudden spot of black on a (almost) black background 🙂
The streaking effects were a combination of a circle filled with difference clouds, a star-shaped selection and the pinch filter 😉
And then of course some more layers with certain blending modes and some distortions 😉

is there a way to animate it, so that it looks like the blue stuff on the edge is falling into it while more blue stuff is appearing at the edge?

anyway, me like.

@yamfries, on Aug 11 2007, 06:49 PM, said in Star:

is there a way to animate it, so that it looks like the blue stuff on the edge is falling into it while more blue stuff is appearing at the edge?

anyway, me like.

You would animate it just like a hypergate or spin and make it animate when live. You'd also have to set it as spöb 8 or something in the system so you couldn't select it with the numbers and have it say "you can't land on this PLANET (or even worse, station)."

The "streaks" should be curved, since a spiral is the shortest distance between two points that close to a black hole.

I have a couple of stars in EVN Firefly. Their presence doesn't actually make much sense, but they're pretty neat-looking.

This post has been edited by Lindley : 13 August 2007 - 08:59 AM

@lindley, on Aug 13 2007, 09:58 AM, said in Star:

The "streaks" should be curved, since a spiral is the shortest distance between two points that close to a black hole.

I have a couple of stars in EVN Firefly. Their presence doesn't actually make much sense, but they're pretty neat-looking.

I've made a few more since I last posted here. I've done some interesting stuff with the twirl deformation in Photoshop.

@cosmic_nusiance, on Aug 10 2007, 08:48 PM, said in Star:

I made an image of a star if anyone wants to use it. It's pretty good, if I do say so myself. Has anyone tried putting a star into nova? You could make use of the Deadly Spöb and Gravity tags that are pretty much unused over the course of the game.

**It's been done before, no doubt. However, having stars in every system just gets repetitive to program and doesn't serve much of a purpose other than being something for the player to avoid.

That said, the graphics are great. I especially like the blue-ish black hole. I don't put much value into being "%100 scientifically accurate" in sci-fi, so I like the bold style.

_bomb

Hmm, an animated black-hole, I remember when I tried to capture an animation from the StarCraft menu, it had an animated black-hole, but I wasn't able to capture it and use it as a spob. 😞

If you put a star with gravity in every system, then there wouldn't be any AI ships. Remember:

The stellar's gravity - 0 for none, positive for stellars that pull, negative for stellars that push. Beware! This feature is mostly here for laughs. It severely confuses the AI, so it should only be used in empty systems where only the player can go.

Straight from the Nova bible

I remember the Sun being in the EVO Plug-in Galaxy's Edge , which, coincidentally, was a mock-up of the Solar System, with all the 'systems' being sectors. I also recall that he made it very big; it was almost too big for the game engine to handle (it was two full screens across!).

Polycon had a few pulsars, too.

So having stars is not a very original idea, really. It's just not done very often.

There's one in Colossem.

Posted Image

CrusaderAlpha donated the star graphic...and the interface. ModestyBlaise did the ships you see (though mine is painted).

Though this star is just a gravity well. I had problems with mission ships going kamikazi into it when it was deadly, causing the ship to die but the player not get credit for killing it, making it impossible to complete.

Was, spectacular. Perhaps someone could create a developers download section to EV Nova downloads page. Those suns and black holes make me want to create a plugin just for them!

I can send you the image if you want. I don't have any use for it. Do you mean like where people can post their graphics etc. creations for developers to download? That'd be cool.

Yes. And my e-mail address is trinix@sbcglobal.net 🙂