Particle effects for ships.

is there a way to set particle effects like the missiles for ships so when the ship moves forward it leaves a trail of particle's? (Ionized atoms)

just curious.

Give the ship an invisible PD weapon with a very short life and range, and fast reload, and have it emit particles. Then use a mission to spawn an invisible enemy that the PD weapon will fire at. The only bad thing is that you'll hear the warning klaxon a lot, but your ship should leave a nice particle trail.

If you make your ship's sprites large enough, maybe you could put the particles in the engine glow images... That way you'll only leave a trail when accelerating... Only bad thing: th particles will come straight out of the engines, so when turning it might look dodgy.

Actually that's a good point - I don't believe there's anything stopping you from having animated engine glows.

how does the particle efect for the missiles work? couldn't you copy that and paste it into the apropriate slot for the ships?

Sadly, it dinnae work that way!

@yamfries, on Aug 12 2007, 05:08 PM, said in Particle effects for ships.:

is there a way to set particle effects like the missiles for ships so when the ship moves forward it leaves a trail of particle's? (Ionized atoms)

just curious.

**The engine glow would work but it wouldn't look great, especially given the fact that acceleration triggers the engine glow. Still, if I'm to understand your situation correctly, do you mean for the particles to be deliberately and clearly coming from the vessels engines, or is it more of an all over energy shedding effect? I'm imagining something like an energy based vessel which sheds particles of it's shields or hull as it moves, almost a sparkly surreal sort of quality.

If this is the case, then the weapon work around might be more effective but I think it would drastically affect game play to the point where it wouldn't be worth it. After all, to have one's own vessel constantly firing a useless weapon at an invisible, invincible target would certainly get on the player's nerves. I'd love to see the effect pulled off. With the right graphics it would be incredibly cool.

_bomb