open source plugin engine

looking for interested developers

hi everyone.
i'm looking for people interested in developing an engine for ev/evo/evn plugins.

i've started a post over at ev-nova.net:
http://www.ev-nova.n...opic.php?t=1678

if you'd like to help, please post here or over there.

thanks,
tycho

I have next to nothing in terms of programming experience, but just want to give you my support. It's a great idea and a universal binary (and a portable open-source) would be a considerable step in keeping the community alive. One thing I'm wondering, though, how does the legality work out? Will only people who have purchased EVN be allowed to use it?

thanks for the support mispeled.
this project would have nothing to do with ev licenses. it would be similar to other engine projects like SCUMMVM http://www.scummvm.org/ and ultima classic rewrite http://ucr.emptyspaces.net/ to name a couple.

This post has been edited by Tycho : 28 February 2007 - 08:22 PM

So you're trying to re-write the EV engine in open-source? I'm not certain that Ambrosia Software will be OK with that, seeing as the only reasons people currently have to register the game are in the engine, not the data files. Essentially you'd be creating a "free" version of EV. Don't get me wrong; I like the idea of being able to get community-based improvements to the engine, which is sorely in need of certain updates, but I'd not be surprised in the least if you got shut down by Ambrosia.

yes, i understand your point, but please keep this post on topic.

I fail to see how considering the legalities of a possible project before getting involved with it would be off -topic. I for one would want to know what the odds are of my effort being completely wasted before I start working.

At any rate, I dropped plenty of advice for you over on the EV-Nova.net forums.

FS2 Open Source was ONLY done because Volition Software released the source code to the community at large. Nova is NOT abandware like that, so I suggest you stop and stop right now before you end up in court.

all i asked for was interest, not a commitment.
-fs2scp removed from followup post.

This post has been edited by Tycho : 28 February 2007 - 08:24 PM

Count me interested ----if you can get an OK from Ambrosia. The engine is old enough now that they might be willing to let you go ahead.

I might be able to help somewhat, as I'm familiar with multiple languages. RealBasic isn't one of them, though I did use TrueBasic a bit back in the day. Now it's mostly C/C++.

good to have your offer! i'm coordinating efforts at ev-nova.net, so if you can keep an eye on that or even register and post there, it would be great. anyone else interested should do the same.

@captjosh, on Feb 28 2007, 04:42 PM, said in open source plugin engine:

FS2 Open Source was ONLY done because Volition Software released the source code to the community at large. Nova is NOT abandware like that, so I suggest you stop and stop right now before you end up in court.

Yes, could you give me an address so my lawyers can contact your lawyers, Tycho? 🙂

Yes, could you give me an address so my lawyers can contact your lawyers, Tycho?

heh, exactly what i was thinking.

This post has been edited by Tycho : 01 March 2007 - 07:23 AM

oh yeah, i forgot maelstrom gpl
http://www.devolutio...uken/Maelstrom/

That was because Andrew released the source at one point. It wasn't written from scratch.

This post has been edited by Guy : 02 March 2007 - 03:14 PM

the graphics too? i can't find the license or the original source.

This post has been edited by Tycho : 02 March 2007 - 11:35 PM

Matt burch owns the Escape Velocity name. You are welcome to create your own space ship game, so long as the name Escape Velocity or any of the triology's scenarios, or material from those scenarios, are used. If you wish to use either, you'll need to talk to him and probably Ambrosia as well. And for Nova you'll probably have to talk to ATMOS too. Otherwise you may endure legal reprecussions or, if you're lucky, be told to cease and decist, much like Diablo Hellfire was shutdown by Blizzard.

Escape Velocity Nova's last update was less than a year ago (7/10/06 specifically). It is still supported by Ambrosia and there very well may be a 1.0.11 version on a to-do list, considering there is at least on major outstanding bug still to date.

Whether I am for or against this remains to be seen.

@joshtigerheart, on Mar 3 2007, 08:08 PM, said in open source plugin engine:

You are welcome to create your own space ship game, so long as the name Escape Velocity or any of the triology's scenarios, or material from those scenarios, are not used.

You missed a word 😉

@joshtigerheart, on Mar 3 2007, 08:08 PM, said in open source plugin engine:

Escape Velocity Nova's last update was less than a year ago (7/10/06 specifically). It is still supported by Ambrosia and there very well may be a 1.0.11 version on a to-do list, considering there is at least on major outstanding bug still to date.

If you're talking about the auto-machine-gun, it's technically not a bug. The beam behaviour could certainly be improved though - I still think my idea of making simultaneous beams only draw one beam on-screen is the best solution 🙂

This strikes me as... not exactly on the level.

well, i figure plugins are external content(and won't be 'used'), so all's well and good.

Plugins are almost all heavily reliant on the base content of the game. The only ones that would plausibly work on their own are the total conversions, and there aren't that many of those.