Ship Prototype Publicity Shoot

interesting mission idea

Inspired by a pipeline topic on the Just Graphics forum...

View Postmrxak, on Jan 17 2007, 07:22 PM, said:

You know, this topic just gave me the idea for a rather interesting mission for a plug-in. Basically a ship company wants you to fly a prototype for them to photograph for a publicity campaign prior to actual introduction of the ship. So, you fly the thing and land on some planet so they can get that shot, and then you mock-fight some "pirates" for some action shots there. Then a few cröns later, the actual ship comes to market with the shipyard picts of you doing those things.

View PostPace, on Jan 18 2007, 03:41 AM, said:

😄 Nice idea, but there is the problem that you'll have to keep that prototype

View Postmrxak, on Jan 19 2007, 04:22 PM, said:

It may not be as good as the real thing a little later.

View PostModesty Blaise, on Jan 19 2007, 05:55 PM, said:

You could always make it part of the deal.
Something like this:
Say your person is a celebrity.
If a corporation wants to take photographs it is only natural that you are forced to drive around in their vehicle for an amount of time.
I doubt Nike would be happy to see Ronaldinho on the field without they're gear.
Just bake it in as part of the deal, and give the player the option to refuse.

View PostMeowx Design, on Jan 20 2007, 11:51 AM, said:

Actually not a bad idea, and considering that prototypes/concept vehicles are typically MORE powerful than their real-world counterparts, the person could have a slightly cooler version than the one that actually comes out.

Would be neat to see this in a plug-in someday. If somebody wants to steal it I'd be rather pleased.

Hmm... Right now without warmup nor thinking about it for long the only way I see to force the player to keep the ship is by going brute-force and render all other ships impossible to buy in the shipyard by sacrificing a Contribute/Require bit to it, and prevent capture by giving the ship 0 crew and at the end of the "contract" give a marine outfit to compensate. However, it should be possible to trigger bad things should the player buys or capture another ship by simply all other ships contribute a certain bit, which when combined with something from the contract when it's running (say, the contract length crön contributes another bit... okay, it looks like even more expensive in fact) make a mission "available" that can trigger any bad thing you like (including, but not limited to, fines, bounty hunters, legal rating decrease... you name it). It would be more realistic than a simple interdiction IMHO.

@zacha-pedro, on Jan 21 2007, 06:03 PM, said in Ship Prototype Publicity Shoot:

Hmm... Right now without warmup nor thinking about it for long the only way I see to force the player to keep the ship is by going brute-force and render all other ships impossible to buy in the shipyard by sacrificing a Contribute/Require bit to it, and prevent capture by giving the ship 0 crew and at the end of the "contract" give a marine outfit to compensate. However, it should be possible to trigger bad things should the player buys or capture another ship by simply all other ships contribute a certain bit, which when combined with something from the contract when it's running (say, the contract length crön contributes another bit... okay, it looks like even more expensive in fact) make a mission "available" that can trigger any bad thing you like (including, but not limited to, fines, bounty hunters, legal rating decrease... you name it). It would be more realistic than a simple interdiction IMHO.

Well in order to complete the mission, you'd have to still be flying the ship.

But I think a simple crön, and the threat of lawyers (violate your contract and you get "sued" with a mission you can't refuse) would work just fine.

I think it's simpler than that. Can't you just set the OnRetire field to give you back the ship you just tried to get rid of?

'Course, then it'd be pretty impossible to actually get rid of the ship when you're allowed to....so there would have to be a logic step in there at some point.

This post has been edited by Lindley : 21 January 2007 - 10:19 PM

@lindley, on Jan 21 2007, 10:16 PM, said in Ship Prototype Publicity Shoot:

I think it's simpler than that. Can't you just set the OnRetire field to give you back the ship you just tried to get rid of?

'Course, then it'd be pretty impossible to actually get rid of the ship when you're allowed to....so there would have to be a logic step in there at some point.

Simple: OnRetire for the ship sets bit 'A'. A crön, which fires after the amount of time for which you’re required to keep the ship sets bit 'B'. A second crön, which is set to only fire if bit 'A' is set but bit 'B' is clear, triggers a lawsuit, perhaps in the form of a mission that requires you to get to court on a given planet before a certain date, with the fine being significantly higher if you do not.

It would be cool if you set up a subsidiary 'invisible' mission that aborted the visible one and forced great damages upon the player if he started shooting the wrong ships- 'sir, it's the head of PR on the line...he wants to know why there's a ship covered with our corporate logos shooting up traders in the Arcturus system!'.