.rez opens in NotePad

I thought I said I got errors. Hmm. I am getting atleast one error.

(Edit): Here is the error straight from the error log.
Error: Unable to open file "C:\Program"!
The file I tried to open(via. double click) is C:\Program Files\EV Nova\absoluteminimum.rez

(Edit2): Ah, I notice that the other error is(when I put the file in a path that has no spaces in the name, but this is exclusive to atleast one file):
Warning: Unknown resource type "DITL" in file "C:~rEVxPatch.rez". Skipping...
But, C:\AbsoluteMinimum.rez opens fine. Why does EVNEW not like spaces?

This post has been edited by WonderBoy : 11 October 2006 - 08:04 PM

@wonderboy, on Oct 11 2006, 07:54 PM, said in .rez opens in NotePad:

(Edit2): Ah, I notice that the other error is(when I put the file in a path that has no spaces in the name, but this is exclusive to atleast one file):
Warning: Unknown resource type "DITL" in file "C:~rEVxPatch.rez". Skipping...
But, C:\AbsoluteMinimum.rez opens fine. Why does EVNEW not like spaces?

I recall getting that error when Crusader was trying to send me some files that were saved as .rez on a Mac. That is, he was on a Mac, saving as .rez; I was trying to open them on Windows.

I have no idea why it doesn't like space for you but I can explain the second error. Actually, it's sorta self-explanatory. The file contains resources of type DITL which EVNEW does not recognise. These can also be found in the rEV UI file. Do not make any changes to these files! The DITLs are an important GUI component and EVNEW will destroy them when you save.

Wasn't gonna modify the files that I can't open. 😛 But does anybody know about the not liking spaces thing?

@wonderboy, on Oct 8 2006, 02:25 PM, said in .rez opens in NotePad:

I just tried again, I now remember why it(Windowz) won't let me change it, EVNeW isn't added to the list when I do the "Browse->C:\Program files\EVNeW\EVNEW.exe" thing. Any one know the innards of Windows, by chance?

Gravedig!
I have a possible solution to this problem. Go Start -> Run and type in 'regedit' to open the Registry Editor and search for EVNEW. It should come up with a couple of folders called EVNEW.exe - delete these.

@_@

(reallysmallvoice)wow...(/reallysmallvoice)

I found so many things that pointed to EVNEW, its not even funny. Shuld I delete them all or just the ones that are the EVNEW folder(s)?

Er, try just the folders first and if that doesn't work try the other stuff. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt anything if you deleted them.

But to air on the side of caution backup your registry before you try this! If something goes wrong and you can't get your registry back, you're in trouble.

How would one go about doing this, Jaca? I'm not the type to go messing with registry files, nor many other system files for that matter.

In Regedit, go to the file menu and select "export". You should be able to figure things out after that. I'm too tired to explain it all. 🙂