Triggering events when boarded?

Is there any way to trigger an event when the player is boarded?

I'm looking to make two types of hostiles----some who merely rob the player, and others who kill the player. But the catch is that the killers like to be up-close and personal, which means they should board. Is there any way to distinguish the two behaviors?

You mean they board the player's ship and kill him in person? Nasty.
Well you can have missions fail when the player is boarded but I don't think there's any way to distinguish which govt it was.

Shame. Seems like it would be an obvious feature.

How about making a govt that boards, then backs off and destroys? Is that possible?

Isn't there a "Plunder enemies before killing them" flag?

No, its a plunder, not destroy flag. I think.

In a Firefly scenario, I'd be concerned about more than just being killed when boarded...

And it is a plunder-before-destroying flag. Watch pirates in EVN.

@orcaloverbri9, on Oct 28 2006, 07:03 PM, said in Triggering events when boarded?:

In a Firefly scenario, I'd be concerned about more than just being killed when boarded...

True. But the point is that the player shouldn't be able to just repair and fly off.

And it is a plunder-before-destroying flag. Watch pirates in EVN.

Hmm, then the real issue will be implementing pirates who don't kill you. Perhaps just don't give them lethal weapons.....

@lindley, on Oct 28 2006, 09:31 PM, said in Triggering events when boarded?:

True. But the point is that the player shouldn't be able to just repair and fly off.

Having never watched firefly I still am guessing that orca meant that things worse that getting killed, for example those bloodthirsty reavers.
As I say I have never watched firefly (bows head in shame) so that is just a stab in the dark.

^I suggest you rectify the oversight as soon as possible.

Here's an idea; not perfect, but it might do. Let me know how it sounds.

Set an invisible mission with an "observe Reaver vessel" goal. Every time you land, this mission would be aborted and restarted. Upon ShipGoal completion, start another mission with no goal, but a "fail if boarded" flag. This mission would be aborted automatically every day by a cron.

Here's the key point....does the date ever advance when you're just flying around, not hyperspacing or landing?

Also, another sticking point is that random Reaver ships wouldn't count as completing the ShipGoal; it'd have to be the mission-specific ship. Any ideas on how to get around this would be welcome.

The trigger when player gets boarded was what I added on my EV4 wishlist.