Injecting sound on an intel mac

anyone know of an app that runs native in OSX and allows sound injection? will mission computer ever support sound injection/editing?

PlayerPRO can export as system 7 sound. It isn't a very nice app but it's the only free app I know of that can do this on OS X. You could also try SndSampler but that's shareware.

PlayerPro! I had forgotten that that had been ported to OS X. I used it once, with some success. If I recall correctly, it has some powerful abilities (changing pitch without changing duration, etc.). Now that I've got Sound Studio 2.1 (and Audacity for added tricks), though, I hope I never again have to face PlayerPro's insanely labyrinthine interface and workflow design. 😛

Edit: If you haven't been following other recent topics on sound, Edwin|, you should know that newer versions of Sound Studio have removed the ability to export System 7 sounds. And for other info of relevance... lookee here. Hmm. There's a particularly useful recent topic missing there. Gimme a minute....

Edit 2: Here it is.

This post has been edited by Dr. Trowel : 29 September 2006 - 10:11 AM

well, i cant get playerpro to run (it complains about drivers every time i start it and dumps) but my main concern here is getting a sound file into a plugin, Mission Computer won't let me do it (has no option to create a new sound....) and i can't run res-edit

Once you get a sound into the proper format (a System 7 sound -- 8-bit, mono, and 11 kHz to maximize your chances), you can open it in MC. MC will ask you if it is a plug for EV, EVO, or EVN; just say EVN. Then you can copy the snd resource in the sound file over to your own plug file.

@dr--trowel, on Sep 29 2006, 09:37 AM, said in Injecting sound on an intel mac:

Once you get a sound into the proper format (a System 7 sound -- 8-bit, mono, and 11 kHz to maximize your chances), you can open it in MC. MC will ask you if it is a plug for EV, EVO, or EVN; just say EVN. Then you can copy the snd resource in the sound file over to your own plug file.

ah, kewl, now i just need a sound editor to conver to system7....

why the hell does nova use sys7 sounds? it's OSX native, not sys 7.....

System 7 sounds or 'snd ' resources are widely used throughout Mac OS < X. EV/O does not run natively on OS X and just because Nova can doesn't mean it should make any changes to the formats of the data it uses. Nova still supports running on Mac OS 8.1!
I think the only way this is gonna work is if MC adds support for importing sounds. Support for system 7 sounds is fast disappearing - neither iTunes nor QT seem to be able to even play them anymore.

@guy, on Sep 30 2006, 03:28 AM, said in Injecting sound on an intel mac:

Support for system 7 sounds is fast disappearing - neither iTunes nor QT seem to be able to even play them anymore.

And yet the Finder can still preview these sounds, so there is still a decoder buried somewhere in OS X's code.

wel, common or not, supported or not, i still need a converter that works on OSX natively

I hope you're paying me for this:
SoundHack

Posted Image

but seriously, thanks

@guy, on Sep 30 2006, 09:28 AM, said in Injecting sound on an intel mac:

System 7 sounds or 'snd ' resources are widely used throughout Mac OS < X. EV/O does not run natively on OS X and just because Nova can doesn't mean it should make any changes to the formats of the data it uses. Nova still supports running on Mac OS 8.1!
I think the only way this is gonna work is if MC adds support for importing sounds. Support for system 7 sounds is fast disappearing - neither iTunes nor QT seem to be able to even play them anymore.

😮 I managed to not even realise that in the few months I've been using 10.4 and the new versions of iTunes and QT (and yes, the Finder can still preview them, after all traditionally one advantage of these sounds was you could hear them by merely double-clicking them in the Finder, in System 7/OS8/OS9 of course). By the way following Coraxus' problem I think I may need to make a tool that will explode sound files (for them to be edited and generally kept as a source repository), then reimplode them to create a plug or Nova Sounds file. Combined with a sound editor that can edit System 7 sounds (or at least save as or export them), that should be at least a satisfying development environment.