SoundEdit 16 has finally crapped out on me

must find OSX alternative

I'm wondering if any of you know any free sound editing software that's preferably native OSX that I can use to access sounds in any EV plug-in in the sameway SoundEdit 16 used to do, and please for the love of all things, don't refer me to that shiotty Audacity since not only is it unable to open a plug-in and give me lists of sounds which I can open them up like SoundEdit 16, but it's crappily un-optimize and it take fecking forever just to do one simple command.

The older version of SoundStudio is the only thing I can think of, and it's not free, and I don't think you can even get it anymore. The new version dropped support for sys7 sounds, I ranted at someone at their booth at the 2005 MacWorld Expo. :mad:

@hamster, on Sep 22 2006, 02:24 AM, said in SoundEdit 16 has finally crapped out on me:

and I don't think you can even get it anymore.

Never say never! After a extensive searchimg, and searching within results, I found it. I did, because I want to help him, and to make sounds for our project. Its version 2.24. I can give the file on AIM if he comes on (tell him to come on- maybe Private Message), or I can give him the download link.

Damn, I feel good now that I helped him. I hope Coraxus reads this (now that he has a answer). It was really easy- just search for SoundStudio on Google.

Don't want to spoil your feeling good but didn't he want Sound Edit?

He wanted to access sounds in the same way. ...access sounds in any EV plug-in in the sameway SoundEdit 16 used to do... So I thought SoundStudio would be good. I dont know about sound programs since I never do sounds myself; could care less. The only thing that matters is that I get a nice sound to play. So thats why I went with Hamsters suggestion, since it was the only mentioned. Heck, I didnt know that SoundStudio existed before Hamster mentioned it.

I downloaded SoundStudio, but it wasn't able to open the plug-in directly and give me access to the list of sounds as SoundEdit 16 did, I'd have to look elsewhere, but I don't know where. Now, if Adobe could somehow revive SoundEdit 16 to run natively on OSX, then we'd be getting somewhere.

I sincerely doubt it. Face it, you're unlikely to find an app that allows you to edit the sounds directly as resources, since everyone is moving away from resources. However, you can theoretically use ConText to explode the plug-in sounds into a myriad of System 7 sounds which a reasonable sound editor should be able to edit, and then you can implode these sounds back with ResStore (unfortunately I've not been able to get ConText's snd expansion to work). I agree this sucks, but, here's the scoop. We're outdated, working with resources like that. We cannot expect any industry support whatsoever from now on.

Well if ConText doesn't work, try Respolder.

@zacha-pedro, on Sep 25 2006, 01:24 PM, said in SoundEdit 16 has finally crapped out on me:

I sincerely doubt it. Face it, you're unlikely to find an app that allows you to edit the sounds directly as resources, since everyone is moving away from resources....

Darn, I guess I knew from the start it was probably too good to be true, hoping against hope, but I suppose maybe that's why it's likely there won't be a sequel to the EV game series I suppose.

@guy, on Sep 25 2006, 06:40 PM, said in SoundEdit 16 has finally crapped out on me:

Well if ConText doesn't work, try Respolder.

Hmm, where can I find Respolder? I've made a search, but I kept getting "Responder" as a result.

This post has been edited by Coraxus : 26 September 2006 - 01:58 PM

I've tried ResPloder already, doesn't work, as you don't get System 7 sounds, but files whose data fork directly contains the data that's in the 'snd ' resources (which is what ResPloder is basically doing for all resources, which makes sense for many of them such as TEXT and PICT), while System 7 sounds are resource files, which contain only one 'snd ' resource which has the same name as the file and variable ID (dunno whether either of these is critical).

I also remember another ancient app called SoundSiphon which would suck all snd s out of a file as individual System 7 sound files. Though you'd have to manually put them back in...

Hmm, I downloaded ResPloder and indeed it definetly has a odd way of managing resources. Though it be useful for people who have no other way to embed sounds in plug-ins, it didn't provide quite exactly what I was looking for.