rled

Its your choice. If you want it to match Nova's then it needs to be at a 45° angle. Correct me if I am wrong, which I don't believe I am.

Ah great ill put my camera at that angle if i can figure out how to do it. I might have to use a tube as a guide pole for it to work, lol. :laugh:

EVNEW automatically generates masks from pure black areas of your sprite. If your background is grey then obviously it's not going to work.

@wonderboy, on Jul 11 2006, 02:39 PM, said in rled:

Its your choice. If you want it to match Nova's then it needs to be at a 45° angle. Correct me if I am wrong, which I don't believe I am.

Are you refering to the camera angle, or the ships banking? :huh:

@guy, on Jul 11 2006, 03:01 PM, said in rled:

EVNEW automatically generates masks from pure black areas of your sprite. If your background is grey then obviously it's not going to work.

Thanks, ive fixed the problem.

@chronodrago, on Jul 11 2006, 05:43 PM, said in rled:

Ah great ill put my camera at that angle if i can figure out how to do it. I might have to use a tube as a guide pole for it to work, lol. :laugh:

Actualy, thats a great idea, least tell I figgure out how to set the camera angle other wise in Wings.

@chronodrago, on Jul 11 2006, 06:12 PM, said in rled:

Are you refering to the camera angle, or the ships banking? :huh:

I'm reffering to the camera angle. The banking angle might be more like 25° but again, I'm not sure, and it might change depending on the 'size' of the ship in question.

ok...does your camera have a target that connects to it, sort of like a line pointing at where you camera is looking? WEll i used a pole as a reference, and then i look at the line connecting my target(its at 0,0,0) and my camera(its at 0,-400,400 becuase my ship is big and some how i made it backwards.... :blink: ). Well i looked at the line connecting them and made sure there wasnt any kinks in it, and since theres no kinks - that means it can only be 0,45, or 90.

An easier way would be to creat a imaginary square. 200 units out and 200 up gives a 45 degree. 100x100, 50x50,etc.... That should fi the camera problem in wings, if you can enter in coridinants that is.

Ok. Let me clarify this; EVNEW does not automatically create masks from the sprites! You have to provide it with a black and white image, white being the area you want to see in Nova, and tell it that that's the mask!

The grey background is what EVNEW has masked out after you've given it a mask. Before the sprite is masked it can be any color you want the background to be.

Edit: Guy must have been talking about the black areas of the mask. Sorry for any anger my post may have given you.

This post has been edited by JacaByte : 11 July 2006 - 05:29 PM

@jacabyte, on Jul 11 2006, 03:27 PM, said in rled:

Ok. Let me clarify this; EVNEW does not automatically create masks from the sprites! You have to provide it with a black and white image, white being the area you want to see in Nova, and tell it that that's the mask!

Acutally, EVNEW automatically creates masks from images - full color images like the ones that u take with your camera. As long as you fill in the surronding area of your image with pure black before importing it in as a rled, the mask will be created. This is a quote from the plugins page, describing EVNEW.
I believe EnRLE creates masks right? Note that EVNEW has been updated various times as well.

EVNEW 1.0.4 - 481 kb
EVNEW - Escape Velocity: Nova Editor for Windows, is the first, and right now the only, plug-in editor for Windows. This is the Release version 1.0.4. EVNEW can edit all 23 of the Nova-specific resources, plus cicn, PICT, rle8, rleD, snd, str, and str resources. It has the capabilities of ResEdit, EnRLE, DeRLE, ConText, and ResStore all wrapped together in a neat little package.

This post has been edited by chronodrago : 11 July 2006 - 05:36 PM

Ah, I'm still stuck with 1.0.3. It didn't automatically generate masks. Guess it's time to upgrade...

lol, that woudl do it. That is the latest version. I just check my evnew folder, where i happen to have one of the older versions as well ast 1.0.4. I have 1.0.0 lol, but it did work pretty wel for plugin making...although i never made anything other than weaps and outfits then.

AHAH! I found it...heres how to do the stupid banking animation. I knew i had seen it somewhere... 😄

Animate the ship in one full rotation non banked (36 frames).
Animate the ship in one full rotation banked to the left (36 frames).
Animate the ship in one full rotation banked to the right (36 frames).
Render the above 108 frames to one movie or series of pictures.
Run through your RLE conversion program of choice.
In the shän resource, put in 3 base sets and 36 frames per set in the appropriate places, check the 'extra frames for banking' box and you're set.

This post has been edited by chronodrago : 11 July 2006 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for opening my eyes to the new EVNEW. I was still running 1.0.0.

Does anyone know of any RLE conversion programs for Windows? It would save me a lot of time.

This post has been edited by dr neverhood : 11 July 2006 - 06:22 PM

no problem... 😄

nope sry man, it would help me a bunch too, since i got a banking ship...
Looks like we gotta do it the old fasion way, photoshop.... <_<

But if anyone does know of a better/easier way, please stand up and shout it out. :laugh:

This post has been edited by chronodrago : 11 July 2006 - 06:41 PM

:blink: I diden't know there was a easy way. I have done it that way the whole time <_< well I use the GIMP.

@wonderboy, on Jul 11 2006, 04:44 PM, said in rled:

:blink: I diden't know there was a easy way. I have done it that way the whole time <_< well I use the GIMP.

lol, whats GIMP? :blink: And yes there is an easy way....for macs. <_<

And what does this mean: Animate the ship in one full rotation banked to the left (36 frames)? I bank it to the left ok...but do i start the first frame of that animation turning to the right or to the left?

This post has been edited by chronodrago : 11 July 2006 - 06:50 PM

Uhh.... No idea, check one of the ships that already has it done to find out(shuttle shuld work, its ID is 128). The Gimp is a excelent FREE image manipulation program available for all platforms(Mac, Linux, and Windows). I love it, you shuld check it out.

This post has been edited by WonderBoy : 11 July 2006 - 07:25 PM

thanks, i had forgotten that a shuttle banks....when a shp banks, i think of something advanced compared to the other ships. I dont think a shuttle is advanced though. :laugh:

Just because it banks doesnen't mean shi..ps...are...advanced. Yeah...I mean like, look at the Vell-Os dart. Its a manifestation of a persons intelect. Its only advanced if the persons smart. 😛

lol :laugh:
Hey uh, What GIMP do i download? GAP,GIMP Freetype, or GIMP PERL?

Click the link on the left aptly named "GIMP for Windows". Read what it has to say.

Ah yes i found it, GIMP works alot easier than photoshop, but i think they are about the same in loading time.