Shield—Energy

Weapons

Query: how would one impliment a feature where weaponry drew sheild power as ammunition?

@crusader-alpha, on Jun 13 2006, 12:54 PM, said in Shield—Energy:

Query: how would one impliment a feature where weaponry drew sheild power as ammunition?

A blast that explodes as soon as it comes on-screen, damages the player and then submunitions into a shot that continues off in the right direction and does not harm the player. Of course, this will not work with beam weapons.

This post has been edited by Anaxagoras : 13 June 2006 - 02:17 PM

I thought of that too, after I posted, but doing such for a lot of weapons would be problematic in this situation. However, I think that if I used a second weapon and had the outfit fire both at the same time it might work, for beams as well, but I'm not sure. I'll have to test that. It would still be best if it would actually draw from the sheild's energy.

@crusader-alpha, on Jun 13 2006, 01:35 PM, said in Shield—Energy:

I thought of that too, after I posted, but doing such for a lot of weapons would be problematic in this situation. However, I think that if I used a second weapon and had the outfit fire both at the same time it might work, for beams as well, but I'm not sure. I'll have to test that. It would still be best if it would actually draw from the sheild's energy.

WRONG. Outfits can't be multiple weapons. DUH. Nor can they be a weapon and ammunition, which was another idea I had. I'll try some other things.

Agh. Excepting submunitions, which I would use except that it would take double the weapon resources, it's not possible. At least not as far as I can tell.

(deleted)

This post has been edited by Crusader Alpha : 13 June 2006 - 06:23 PM

@crusader-alpha, on Jun 13 2006, 12:54 PM, said in Shield—Energy:

WRONG. Outfits can't be multiple weapons. DUH. Nor can they be a weapon and ammunition, which was another idea I had.

Gxxx.

Anyway, I've seen this effect in another plug, Lost on Kont. There, the weapon in question ate away at your armor when it fired, and it used a submunition to do so. I cannot think of any other way to properly acheive the effect you are looking for, although an additional primary weapon that constantly damages the firer's shields when active might work well enough if the shield-draining weapons are also primary.

Edwards

Of course, if the shield-draining weapons were primary, it would be evil to put the player in combat without a shield recharger. This may be useful for a ship-ship ramming weapon.

Well, my intent was to subsitute sheild energy as weapon energy. All weapons would fire through sheilds and do damage directly to the armor, the sheilds would drain and recharge extremely quickly. It would still show up as "sheilds" in the ship info area and the player info, but it would be an interesting modification combat-wise. It would nearly double the amount of weapons though, and I'm not quite up to doing that amount of work right now with everything else I've got to do.

Clever idea, and allows you to keep the fuel as actual fuel, which is the other option (using normal weapons, but making them draw from the ship's fuel supply, and giving every ship inherent fuel regen).

Hey that is a cool idea. You can change the "shields" label in one of the STR#s.

Hm. The idea seems to be at least a little popular. Perhaps if I have the time then I'll have a go at implimenting it. Perhaps not, but it's a possibility.

How are you going to stop the player from shooting if he has no shields left? (zero weapon energy)

Good point. I have no idea. I wish there was a "weapon won't fire if shields are down" flag.

make the shield-drain weapon do enourmous hull damage?