A Ship That Recharges Your Ship Infinitly

I got it to work so far, but...

Anyways, I'm working on this plug-in and I decided I wanted to have a ship in which the player can use to recharge their energy without having to land on an active spob. What I've done so far was the following to make it work:

• Created a pers that offers a mission when being hailed 100% of the time.

• Created an outfit called "Rechargin Process" which does the following:

• Recharges energy with the value of 1

• Inhibits hyperjump distance with the value of 32767 (or was it -32767?)

• Reduces acceleration, speed, and maneuverability to 0 making the ship stop completey dead in its tracks.

• The "Recharging Process" is given to the player when mission is accepted

• Mission objective is set to "Destroy all ships" which involves one ship who is set to attack the player after delay jumping

• That mission-related ship is customized for this mission and has the following important attributes:

• Has invisible sprites

• Uses a self-destructing weapon

• Cannot be targeted

• The mission ship will kill itself when using the self-destructing weapon thus completing the objective

• Mission objective (not mission complete) will remove the "Recharging Process" outfit.

• By then, player's ship should have at least 1 jump available

Now granted that this whole entire process may not fill the player's ship entire tank, that's why it would make sense to add instructions and such that a pilot or captain would require to do it again until they are fully charged, which I have done.
However, I wanted to use the objective to "observe" the initial current system the player is occupying at the moment and have the player "board" the pers ship instead, but the problem is that I haven't been able to get it to work so far. The reason for this is because I want to give the recharging process some small amount of time, not instantaneously like what the abort-mission setting could do cause that won't even be enough to fill up at least 1% of 1 jump worth of energy. The problem is that the "observe" and "board" won't work for some reason, and I'm curious if it's related to having an active spob or something. Even when I was using the "destroy ship", I set up an invisible spob so I could use the "Appear on Nav 5", but the mission ship wouldn't show up. So now I'm asking is there a way to make the mission process a bit faster and making the elements more invisible to the player, such as not having to trigger red alert sounds.

This post has been edited by Coraxus : 07 June 2006 - 07:45 PM

You could always make the sound not exist. But in all seriousness you could make the suicidal mission ship attack someone else. 'Least I think you can. If you can that would probably fix the Alert Sound portion of your delema. Other than that I can't help you.

Well, I was thinking about having to create 2 ships that hate eachother's guts if all things comes to that. But I'm still baffled as to why the "observe" objective doesn't go into effect, do I have to jump out and then back in to make it work when accepting a mission directly from a pers?

I don't know much about missions, but for observe you might need to enter the system after you accept the mission. So sence you are "observing" the system you are currently in, you might have to leave for it to work. Again I don't know much about missions, and I don't claim to.

The only way to generate ships in-flight is to have them jump in - you can't have them suddenly spawn at a spob or something.
The observe goal observes the special ship, not the system, so the ship has to exist for you to be able to observe it.

Neat concept.

@coraxus, on Jun 7 2006, 05:44 PM, said in A Ship That Recharges Your Ship Infinitly:

(*)The mission ship will kill itself when using the self-destructing weapon thus completing the objective

Why not just give the ship 0 armor? That way, it will self-destruct the instant it enters the system, removing the need to have it attack anything. Also, you can tweak the length of time before the end of the mission by changing the timer ship's DeathDelay, as the mission's OnShipDone field will not fire until the MissionShip finishes blowing up.

Edwards

@wonderboy, on Jun 7 2006, 08:13 PM, said in A Ship That Recharges Your Ship Infinitly:

I don't know much about missions, but for observe you might need to enter the system after you accept the mission. So sence you are "observing" the system you are currently in, you might have to leave for it to work. Again I don't know much about missions, and I don't claim to.

@guy, on Jun 7 2006, 08:42 PM, said in A Ship That Recharges Your Ship Infinitly:

The only way to generate ships in-flight is to have them jump in - you can't have them suddenly spawn at a spob or something.
The observe goal observes the special ship, not the system, so the ship has to exist for you to be able to observe it.

Well, in that case, if the observation objective recognition can actually be triggered by merely having a mission-ship jump in regardless of whatever behavior is assigned, then maybe that's all that I need right? I won't have to resort to having other objectives such as disable, destroy or chase off to trigger the recognition. Maybe it will offer an ample amount of time for a good recharge. Then probably what's left is to rid the mission-ship so that means hopefully that ship may decided to go hostile on me (however I wouldn't want to resort to having it trigger the red alarm) just to fire that self-destructing weapon. I may probably have to add an auxilary dude that's an enemy of the mission ship.

(EDIT)I believe I have tweaked the mission objective and the mission ship and got what I needed. Thanks for all the advise, this refueling process may open up various possibilities.(/EDIT).

This post has been edited by Coraxus : 09 June 2006 - 12:31 AM